PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will This Season Scare Off Potential Coaches?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Will This Season Scare Off Potential Coaches?

Postby dirtysouthpony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Easy guys, this is a crazy young team of kids without a few key skill guys. A good recruiting coach can right the ship quickly. If we can get someone in here by Dec (to have a decent class), six wins next year is possible.

We just need a coach in here that will bring the right scheme and recruiting philosophy. I watched Cedar Hill and Desoto last week. We should be able to compete with wisconsin and kansas for kids at desoto, cedar hill and the othet local Dallas schools. There is no AAU for football. Who are the gate keepers for the inner city Dallas kids? A new coach will solve that dilemma.
dirtysouthpony
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if some really top notch coaches wouldn't touch this job with a ten foot pole. Someone will take it but with such an empty cupboard on talent its going to take someone with balls of steel.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Seriously, anybody who takes this job will certainly have full license to get rid of anybody they want to (like LB did).

Any decent coach who can recruit can get 50 good players in here in their first two seasons which is more than a full two-deep.

We will be fine.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby 03Mustang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 pm

You can take the "sky is falling" approach, or you can consider that there will be ZERO expectations for your first year and you will have the right to run off anyone you want. As with basketball, I'm sure we will bend over backward to get recruits in that are marginal as well.

We aren't in the SEC....with a few good players and a guy that runs the right system we can be pretty close to a bowl next year.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:18 pm

03Mustang wrote:We aren't in the SEC....with a few good players and a guy that runs the right system we can be pretty close to a bowl next year.

I agree with you. Any coach who has real confidence in his system/abilities should jump at this opportunity. Low expectations and the chance to be a hero with a little effort. Conversely, if he failed he could just say that the program was beyond repair.

I guess this will show us if Morris, Herman or any of the other top prospects have the confidence to step up and accept the challenge.
redpony

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:21 pm

We will have plenty of options from which to select. Question is whether or not we make the right choice.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smumustang1980 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:26 pm

ponyscott wrote:I think there is a possibility it does scare off some to 'death valley' in U Park. The man at the very top has been here for 19 years and he bears responsibility and he will still be here with the new coach. That alone would scare me off.

Ask the Ole Miss alumni why they wanted him gone - and I'm not talking the flag controversy...
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Turner has a well documented non-athletics history going back even before then
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Previous

Return to Football