PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will This Season Scare Off Potential Coaches?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will This Season Scare Off Potential Coaches?

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Considering they will be inheriting what is, by almost every metric, the worst team in the history of college football, is this season scaring off potential coaches? I would hope that the people we are considering can look past this year and see the potential, but this program is 3 years away from being competitive. That might be enough to give pause even with the stupid money we've been rumored to be willing to pay. Just another final bitter joke June Jones is having at the expense of the school that paid him roughly $12M.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Will This Season Scare Off Potential Coaches?

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Absolutely. We are going to have to overpay any qualified candidate. JJ completely wrecked this program and walked away from the scene of the crime.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Yeah if I'm Morris or Herman I'd have to really think twice about taking this job even with the huge pay raise. You could hold out another year or two as a high profile assistant and walk into a situation far, far more stable than SMU.

After thinking it over, I think its pretty clear that Mack saw what was going on here and said no way. Even for $32M it probably wasn't worth it.

June literally nuked this program back to the death penalty. What he did here was criminal.
StallionsModelT

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 pm

actually I think following an 0-12 season is the best time to take this job if you are confident you can build a competitive program. New coach could go 1-11 in his 1st year and not be on the hot seat. Progress year after year and a guaranteed 5 year deal should be enough to attract a quality coach but what will be even more important is having the budget to hire a quality staff
Charleston Pony

Postby novasmu » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:42 pm

I think June nuked us beyond the death penalty. The lack of competitiveness this year goes way beyond anything during the post-death penalty era.

As far as a new coach, I hope, if the money for him and the coordinators is there, he will view this as a good opportunity. Imagine the kudos he would get, just like June did when was when he was taking SMU to barely winning seasons and mid to lower-tier bowls. June almost landed a good P5 gig, just on that.

Besides, would really want anyone who wasn’t committed to digging us out of the depths of this hell?
"We will win championships on the Hilltop" - Rick Hart - September 8, 2014
novasmu
Scout Team

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:48 pm

novasmu wrote:I think June nuked us beyond the death penalty. The lack of competitiveness this year goes way beyond anything during the post-death penalty era.

As far as a new coach, I hope, if the money for him and the coordinators is there, he will view this as a good opportunity. Imagine the kudos he would get, just like June did when was when he was taking SMU to barely winning seasons and mid to lower-tier bowls. June almost landed a good P5 gig, just on that.

Besides, would really want anyone who wasn’t committed to digging us out of the depths of this hell?

I know on days like today its hard to maintain perspective, but I'm starting to wonder about what our future holds. As disappointing as this season has been, it is only further compounded by the fact that last year we had an opportunity to cut bait with June and start over fresh. The team was only 5-7 and just a year removed from four consecutive bowl games. I think we would've been able to attract a quality coach. Now, we are literally the worst team in the history of the sport at the collegiate level. Its so bad that even the crazy, stupid money we are throwing out there is going to probably cause good coaches to think twice about taking over at SMU.

I know we all love our CoC and they are literally keeping this program at the D1A level, but their inability to cut ties with June Jones after last season will have repercussions that will haunt this program for years. The lack of talent and overall malaise that has infested this program will take years for the next coaching staff to root out. In reality, all of this goes back to Arizona State. Had SMU's leadership shown just a modicum of balls then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess. As it stands now, this is the darkest hour of SMU football since the death penalty.
StallionsModelT

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:55 pm

novasmu wrote:I think June nuked us beyond the death penalty. The lack of competitiveness this year goes way beyond anything during the post-death penalty era.

June was a hero because at the height of his success, he managed to beat all the teams on our schedule with losing records and even beat TCU once. Imagine how we will view a coach that builds a program capable of beating teams with winning records and even starts winning games against our old SWC mates. I can visualize another statue in Doak Plaza
Charleston Pony

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

June was a hero because at the height of his success, he managed to beat all the teams on our schedule with losing records and even beat TCU once. Imagine how we will view a coach that builds a program capable of beating teams with winning records and even starts winning games against our old SWC mates. I can visualize another statue in Doak Plaza

Honest question though.....who will want to take this over at this point? I know someone will but will our top targets shy away from this job b/c of just how awful the team is that he's inheriting? I think any logical coach has to assume that its going to be 3 or 4 years before he's able to get the team competitive. Some coaches may not have the stomach for that fight even for crazy money. June Jones was literally the Death Penalty 2.0
StallionsModelT

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Somebody ask Houston Nutt if he' changed his mind. There are enough former head coaches who want another chance and assistants who want a shot at a HC position...not to mention the financial security of a 5 year deal at $2 mil per year...that I don't think there will be any shortage of candidates
Charleston Pony

Postby couch 'em » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:14 pm

This would be a great job. Even half effort would improve this team greatly. It is the best possible training wheels for a D1 head coach. Even Corby could get this team to .500
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

Easy guys, this is a crazy young team of kids without a few key skill guys. A good recruiting coach can right the ship quickly. If we can get someone in here by Dec (to have a decent class), six wins next year is possible.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:Easy guys, this is a crazy young team of kids without a few key skill guys. A good recruiting coach can right the ship quickly. If we can get someone in here by Dec (to have a decent class), six wins next year is possible.

Wow I wish I shared your optimism. We can't block, we can't run, we can't pass, we can't stop the run, and we can't stop the pass. I don't think one recruiting class and some added experience is going to equate to 6 wins even with an awesome coaching staff.
StallionsModelT

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm

5* recruits would look like crap if they quit, too. We just need to support the guys and know help in OTW.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:48 pm

I know that we've quit top to bottom and yeah that makes it difficult to judge who has talent and who needs to be shown the door. That said, we've got six QB's on scholarship and I don't think any of them are even average. Great work by the QB "guru".
StallionsModelT

Postby ponyscott » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:09 pm

I think there is a possibility it does scare off some to 'death valley' in U Park. The man at the very top has been here for 19 years and he bears responsibility and he will still be here with the new coach. That alone would scare me off.
ponyscott

Next

Return to Football