PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Carlos Barocio-Leon's Matador Extra Point Formation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Carlos Barocio-Leon's Matador Extra Point Formation

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:11 pm

I wonder how much time we wasted on putting that thing in for our 4 Extra points this year
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Carlos Barocio-Leon's Matador Extra Point Formation

Postby Arkpony » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:12 pm

Stallion wrote:I wonder how much time we wasted on putting that thing in for our 4 Extra points this year

Love it!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby PonyKai » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 am

It makes me sad he still has a job.
PonyKai

Postby PonySnob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:38 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:It makes me sad he still has a job.

Hope he rented instead of buying.........
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Topper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:57 am

Stallion wrote:I wonder how much time we wasted on putting that thing in for our 4 Extra points this year

Be careful. I was soundly admonished on this board for criticizing the swinging gate the other day. Seems that there is a theory that its deployment could turn us into a top program.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony in SA » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:14 am

If we are really wasting practice time on things like this, its ridiculous. Hopefully new hire will get priorities straight and we will have attention to detail going forward on things that matter.
Pony in SA
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:23 am

I am the admonisher. It is ridiculous to think this is the cause of any of our problems. Yes our special teams are bad but perhaps the only good thing about them is taking a page out of the top teams in the country and using the swinging gate. Stallion is just mad because I said learning to line up and move to the right on an extra point is easier than him learning to line dance at Red River.

There are so many special team problems that this one is at the bottom of a long list.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 am

Try to find a replay of the Arkansas trick play they ran against UAB. Pretty much swinging gate but they did it during regular play. Ended up with a 350 pound lineman throwing TD pass to the deep snapper. Someone with an active imagination can find ways to score plus now the opposition has to spend time on how to defend the play if they line up that way again. I can assure you that opponents have to spend more time practicing how to defend it than it takes to learn it.
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:07 am

mrydel wrote:I am the admonisher. It is ridiculous to think this is the cause of any of our problems. Yes our special teams are bad but perhaps the only good thing about them is taking a page out of the top teams in the country and using the swinging gate. Stallion is just mad because I said learning to line up and move to the right on an extra point is easier than him learning to line dance at Red River.

There are so many special team problems that this one is at the bottom of a long list.

I think I posted this thread BEFORE you so unjustly impugned my dancing skills
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 am

I saw your dancing skills. Who was the guy that was your partner?
mrydel

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm

If you are going to roll out a trick play, why would you do it on an extra point?

Best case: you get 2 points instead of 1. While that is twice as many points, it won't win a game when you lose by 40.
Worst case: you mess it up and give them 2 points.

If we want to work on a "trick play," how about learning how to consisently return a kickoff past the 10 yard line?

BTW - given SMU's performance YTD on kickoffs, I cannot believe that Memphis kept kicking it out of the endzone.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby b_caesar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:06 pm

Digetydog wrote:BTW - given SMU's performance YTD on kickoffs, I cannot believe that Memphis kept kicking it out of the endzone.

Yeah, that surprised me, too, - didn't matter much, though.
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:59 pm

b_caesar wrote:
Digetydog wrote:BTW - given SMU's performance YTD on kickoffs, I cannot believe that Memphis kept kicking it out of the endzone.

Yeah, that surprised me, too, - didn't matter much, though.

Eventually, I decided that Memphis was doing it to prevent their players from having to run extra sprints.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:24 pm

Digetydog wrote:If you are going to roll out a trick play, why would you do it on an extra point?

Best case: you get 2 points instead of 1. While that is twice as many points, it won't win a game when you lose by 40.

If we want to work on a "trick play," how about learning how to consisently return a kickoff past the 10 yard line?

BTW - given SMU's performance YTD on kickoffs, I cannot believe that Memphis kept kicking it out of the endzone.

Just a guess here but when the swinging gate was installed, probably 6 years ago in the spring, I doubt they considered only kicking one or two extra points in 2014. Again folks, if you have ever played the game you are talking about 5 minutes after the main practice.

I do still agree there are several other areas of special teams that need work.
mrydel

Postby Digetydog » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:17 pm

mrydel wrote:
Digetydog wrote:If you are going to roll out a trick play, why would you do it on an extra point?

Just a guess here but when the swinging gate was installed, probably 6 years ago in the spring, I doubt they considered only kicking one or two extra points in 2014. Again folks, if you have ever played the game you are talking about 5 minutes after the main practice.

I do still agree there are several other areas of special teams that need work.

I understand that it doesn't take much time. But, with the fundamental problems with special teams, it seemed an odd thing to try.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football