PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Carlos Barocio-Leon's Matador Extra Point Formation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Carlos Barocio-Leon's Matador Extra Point Formation

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Apparently our ST coach does not recognize any fundamental problems or we would see some changes.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:02 pm

mrydel wrote:
Digetydog wrote:If you are going to roll out a trick play, why would you do it on an extra point?

Best case: you get 2 points instead of 1. While that is twice as many points, it won't win a game when you lose by 40.
Worst case: you mess it up and give them 2 points.

If we want to work on a "trick play," how about learning how to consisently return a kickoff past the 10 yard line?

BTW - given SMU's performance YTD on kickoffs, I cannot believe that Memphis kept kicking it out of the endzone.

Just a guess here but when the swinging gate was installed, probably 6 years ago in the spring, I doubt they considered only kicking one or two extra points in 2014. Again folks, if you have ever played the game you are talking about 5 minutes after the main practice.

I do still agree there are several other areas of special teams that need work.

It was held over from the PB era. I recall having this similar discussion during his next to last year and some wag pointed out that the Wikipedia article actually called us out for using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinging_g ... n_football)
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:05 pm

As I recall, Montana State actually successfully ran a couple of PATs from that formation against us last year and made its execution look relatively easy.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby mrydel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Topper wrote:
mrydel wrote:
Digetydog wrote:If you are going to roll out a trick play, why would you do it on an extra point?

Best case: you get 2 points instead of 1. While that is twice as many points, it won't win a game when you lose by 40.
Worst case: you mess it up and give them 2 points.

If we want to work on a "trick play," how about learning how to consisently return a kickoff past the 10 yard line?

BTW - given SMU's performance YTD on kickoffs, I cannot believe that Memphis kept kicking it out of the endzone.

Just a guess here but when the swinging gate was installed, probably 6 years ago in the spring, I doubt they considered only kicking one or two extra points in 2014. Again folks, if you have ever played the game you are talking about 5 minutes after the main practice.

I do still agree there are several other areas of special teams that need work.

It was held over from the PB era. I recall having this similar discussion during his next to last year and some wag pointed out that the Wikipedia article actually called us out for using it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinging_g ... n_football)

Ha ha. They already updated it to include the Arkansas play they ran against UAB for a TD on a field goal swinging gate this past Saturday.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football