PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thad's 30 for 30: Brian and the Boz

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thad's 30 for 30: Brian and the Boz

Postby Arkpony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:15 am

I disagree PonyTime. I liked the storage building scenes
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:19 am

Arkpony wrote:I disagree PonyTime. I liked the storage building scenes

I liked the scenes - just was interested in how Thad was hoping they would come across.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ghost » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 am

Great watching for football fans who lived through that time. Part fact, part fiction and a whole lot of "reality tv" feel to it...but that was the Boz and Switzer!
ghost
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 am

Great call on the interception in corner of endzone in the TexasOU 15-15 tie too :lol:
What other great moments in Football History would have never happened if we had Instant Replay
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby buckwheat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:32 am

Great work Thad! Grew up going to OU games during that time and was great to re-live those memories again. Ran into Thad/Film Crew/Boz at the OU/TENN game (Those were the final scenes in the doc with the Boz around the stadium) and he was like wtf are you doing here??
Cool to see the Boz' humility and take responsibility for the big mistakes he made.
Well done Thaddeus.
buckwheat
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 am

I tweeted Thad about the most well organized storage unit in the cleanest storage facility in human history. I liked the scenes with his son, but it did look a little staged.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 am

I think there's a lesson in there about how cool his kid thought the exact things that ruined his life were. Like the T-Shirt reading;

National
Communists
Against
Athletes
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:10 am

Stallion wrote:Great call on the interception in corner of endzone in the TexasOU 15-15 tie too :lol:
What other great moments in Football History would have never happened if we had Instant Replay

SMU-Aggy tie
RGV Pony

Postby FWMustang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 am

Can't wait to watch it. We saw the promos the other night. I would have watched anyway because it was about the Boz, but seeing Thad on the marquee cinched it.

I was a linebacker in middle school at a small private school during that time and could not for the life of me figure out why my parents wouldn't let me get a mohawk. I didn't really like OU but I loved The Boz! I was devastated when Bo Jackson [deleted] up on the goal line in that Raiders-Seahawks game.

Say what you will about the OU program and its lawless ways back then (yeah, right!), but doggone it they are still entertaining us. I stand by the channel any time the Hardline gets Switzer on.
Go RED! Go BLUE! Go MUSTANGS! S-M-U!!
FWMustang
Varsity

Postby lwjr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:26 am

I only caught the last hour but that was a really good documentary . I did get a kick out of story about all of the Denver fans buying the anti/Boz or support Elways shirts, what ever they said, and Bosworth owned the company who made the shirts.
Well done, Thaddeus!
Last edited by lwjr on Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby OR-See-Nee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:27 am

Well done, Thad! DVR'd it and watched it this morning. Brian appeared to be a very complex person, driven in large part by trying to please his father. This was a great story about life's complexities and the ability to learn from mistakes.

Congratulations, Thad!
/No Hate. Just Facts. Occasional sarcasm.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby EconPony'10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:36 am

I think the Boz still has some Daddy issues.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby alyssa » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:24 pm

I watched it. I liked it and hated it, of course, and for valid reasons for me.
I met Brian a couple of times in the 80s and I thought about telling the stories here but changed my mind even though there is nothing bad to say when I met him.
I didn't know that Princeton offered him. We could have been at Princeton for a year together.
It really touched me about the father problems. I hate it when parents do that.
My dad always hated that my sisters and I are very good at sport and would talk bad about us to hurt our feelings. I kept going though. I'm still going to attempt to run fast times even though my dad just died 27 days ago.
Many of my athlete friends have fathers that won't stay out of our sports. I know that Rick Reilly who spoke on there. He was on a show making comments about an athlete friend who had daddy issues too where her father used her, and her coaches and friends used her, oh it was terrible and the Brian and the Boz brought that all back up to me emotionally.
I have always succeeded in my sport by bringing all my anger into focus and killing it out there. I guess Brian wanted love and acceptance from his father. He and I and others I know did the same things looking at other men to fill in as a father. I better stop or I'll go on for so long.

I liked the show.
alyssa
All-American

Postby Nacho » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:26 pm

i recently saw the boz on espn. he is now involved as an actor in faith based movies. his life is definantly on a different track now. i wish him the best. he was a very entertaining guy.
good doc by thad.
Nacho

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Thad- I loved the film. Thanks for putting the great Lake Highlands LB Evan Gatewood in the film. He played on the 15-0 state champ team from 1981. He was the opposite of the Boz-very humble and quiet.
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football