PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

next year's record prediction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

next year's record prediction

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:35 am

5-7 to 6-6

While this team does lack athleticism and is not at the talent level needed, this is definitely not the ceiling on it's potential with the current roster. Once a coach with a strong will to succeed comes in with a solid s&c program and really takes the time to develop these players and implements a good scheme during spring ball we will see drastic improvements.

Yes there needs to be a lot of turnover, but You can only bring in about 25 a year (and even so most will be freshmen), so a priority needs to be developing the current players and ridding the locker room of that lazy loser Jones mentality in order to maximize your potential.

Whether any player gets recruited over as a starter they will still likely be on the 2/3 deep the last 2 years or so of their career, so they need to be able to at least play at aac level on the field.

The cupboard is bare, but if the new guy works at it then it ain't empty. This isn't to say that recruiting hhasn't been bad, but that player development has been even worse.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Re: next year's record prediction

Postby Harry0569 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:58 am

How can you even being to make a semi-accurate prediction when you have zero idea who the next HC (and staff) will be?
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:15 am

I think you need to cut back on...

BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ender3 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:31 am

It's a silly question, and this is not a prediction.

4 wins next year will be HUGE progress. Not only is the team winless so far, but has yet to be remotely competitive in any game so far.

Heck, 2 wins and competitive in 4 other games would be a pretty significant leap forward.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:42 am

On second thought 4-8 or 5-7 on the high end sounds more like it
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby fifty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I just hope we are in the lead in a couple games next year.
fifty
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24 pm

1-11
Pony ^

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Harry0569 wrote:How can you even being to make a semi-accurate prediction when you have zero idea who the next HC (and staff) will be?

Assuming it is a good hire and some one listed in the top 3 in the running
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 pm

15-0
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:31 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
Harry0569 wrote:How can you even being to make a semi-accurate prediction when you have zero idea who the next HC (and staff) will be?

Have you played tackle football at any level before? Do you see how little talent there is on this team? I mean my goodness, "We're not fast, but at least we're small and unathletic" really describes this team pretty accurately.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby fifty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:36 pm

I thought it was amazing that in the post game presser, Mason said that Deion was quick but probably not fast enough to actually take one to the house. Given the fact that Deion is possibly the fastest guy on this team (if your dad runs 10.2, you're not slow), I found that comment highly amusing.
fifty
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 pm

This. I would have no idea at this point. A good hire that can be in place by Dec 1st, secure this class, and bring a QB -- 5 wins; someone not in place until Dec 15th and is slow to save this class (and doesn't bring a QB) -- 2 wins.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:37 pm

fifty wrote:I just hope we are in the lead in a couple games next year.

I just hope we score a home touchdown before conference play starts.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:43 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:

Have you played tackle football at any level before? Do you see how little talent there is on this team? I mean my goodness, "We're not fast, but at least we're small and unathletic" really describes this team pretty accurately.

Yes I have, buddy. But if you took the time to actually read what I posted, you would have known that my main point is that a better coach will be able to get more out of them, not that they were good.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:45 pm

fifty wrote:I thought it was amazing that in the post game presser, Mason said that Deion was quick but probably not fast enough to actually take one to the house. Given the fact that Deion is possibly the fastest guy on this team (if your dad runs 10.2, you're not slow), I found that comment highly amusing.

I could be wrong but I think I read something about deion jr only running like a low 4.6 or something and definitely didn't get his dad's speed
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Next

Return to Football