PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coordinator Watch

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coordinator Watch

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Stallion wrote:well I've seen enough of Burchum, Cassell, Davis, Krtsch to know they aren't the answer. Whose next on the list. Severt step right up for your interview. Mr. Davis meet me in the Coaches offices while we have a long discussion about your future NFL chances (at WR or S)

The only 2 we haven't seen are Severt and Colbert. From what I hear about the new Sunday scrimmages, Severt is the only potential QB option. Let's just say yesterday, Colbert took all the reps because Severt was injured, and he ended up something like 2 for 26 passing. Shouldn't take long for the new staff to evaluate and move him to slot, safety, wherever.....or for him to transfer if he doesn't like that idea.

Severt on the other hand getting good reviews and is uncanny in his similarity to Gilbert with his size and athletic ability in general. Not in any way saying he will end up being the next Gilbert, but he apparently throws well and is a physical clone.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 pm

I've already seen Colbert a couple of times at QB in high school and knew he wasn't a Division 1A QB. He is a Division 1A athlete though so pick a new position
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Stallion wrote:I've already seen Colbert a couple of times at QB in high school and knew he wasn't a Division 1A QB. He is a Division 1A athlete though so pick a new position

How about him and Davis at the slots. At least some size and toughness, probably block like beasts. Boykin was a pretty mean QB/Slot last year! :D
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:30 pm

See I took a stand last year and this year before he blossomed that Boykin had a great arm but simply needed to become more accurate. He's a QB all the way. He's got a cannon for a small kid-great velocity. Colbert doesn't and Davis is so busy running in circles you can't tell
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Need to announce a coach by Thursday 12/11 at latest. That is 6 days before December signing day. There are only a handful of JuCo QB prospects worth looking at. I expect one will already be identified of only for additional competition.

I have no issue with interviewing a coaching candidate while the team preps for UConn or even during the game.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:28 pm

I still like Chad if he can bring the other Chad (assuming he's matured) to jump start a late recruiting push
Charleston Pony

Postby Southpaw » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Chad Morris had 7 starters out when Clemson faced Syracuse. This year he has lost his top 2 RB's to knee injuries, top receiver to a knee injury and 5 of the offensive linemen to injuries during the course of the season including his 5 star QB, Watson to a broken finger. Clemson has been devastated with injuries to the offensive side of the ball.
Southpaw

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:54 pm

Southpaw wrote:Chad Morris had 7 starters out when Clemson faced Syracuse. This year he has lost his top 2 RB's to knee injuries, top receiver to a knee injury and 5 of the offensive linemen to injuries during the course of the season including his 5 star QB, Watson to a broken finger. Clemson has been devastated with injuries to the offensive side of the ball.

Dabo Swiney said last week that Chad Morris has done the best coaching job that he has seen him do in the years he has been at Clemson because of all the injuries.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby ponyswim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:15 pm

I think that while we look at how various people are doing as coordinators this year - as we should, the big question is which of them will hire the right coordinators/coaches. We see what Meachum/Cumbie have done at TCU, but as much as I hate to say it, it was Patterson who made the call to bring thing them to TCU. Patterson made great hires.
I think big job Hart has is to ask the right questions to find out who will identify the upcoming [deleted]'t coaches that are the next Morris, Meachum, etc. The other big job is to figure out who will create the culture of excellence within the coaching staff and players.
I don't know the answers, but I think those are some of the questions.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Stallion wrote:See I took a stand last year and this year before he blossomed that Boykin had a great arm but simply needed to become more accurate. He's a QB all the way. He's got a cannon for a small kid-great velocity. Colbert doesn't and Davis is so busy running in circles you can't tell

Davis did throw a really nice pass on the deep ball to DT, but outside of that we haven't seen anything in the games. I will say that when they do the drill where they throw the ball into a trash can in the corner of the endzone, I have seen Davis hit that pass more than any of the other QBs when I was at practice. He needs to be in a zone read offense though that rolls him out every pass play, and cuts the field in half so that it is 1-2 reads and then run.

Kolney Cassell has a really good arm, I think we all saw that. Could he improve his accuracy with better coaching? Probably so, I don't think we should give up on him just yet, he is only a RS Frosh.

Burcham is the only QB in the last few years who actually goes through his reads at practice. And he is accurate. He also throws with more velocity in practice than he does in the game. He is a guy that if they were actually practicing at game speed he would really show a lot of improvement. He wouldn't have been at the Elite 11 if he had the crap arm strength he has shown in games. And he certainly wouldn't have won it. Maybe there is something mentally not there with the personality thing from the other thread. But he has tools.

Playing Rudy at QB doesn't do us any good for next year, because he isn't going to be the starter next year as much as I admire his attitude and work ethic. Rotate Cassell and Davis every time they don't score on a drive and see if one of them takes charge. And if we are even thinking about burning Severt's redshirt, why not play Gresham as well. Aren't we only down to two running backs?
JasonB

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 am

So we are clear, Mason isn't allowed to burn red shirts.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:07 am

Nope without question I'd play Severt with 5 games as long as the Coaches think he's studied the offense, is mentally ready to perform and potentially our best option. I don't think he's taken any reps though so he likely won't play. This program is bigger than 1 kid's redshirt as long as they are planning to play him. Nothing wrong with evaluating and finding out whether ANY of SMU's QBs can play so the next coach knows what he has. Why are we saving a redshirt season for a 2 Star QB who may not even fit into the plans of the next Coach? Seriously, if the Coaches don't think Severt has the ability to perform at the level we've seen at QB this year then he's not that good either

Stallion

Postby footballdad » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:47 am

Stallion wrote:Nope without question I'd play Severt with 5 games as long as the Coaches think he's studied the offense, is mentally ready to perform and potentially our best option. I don't think he's taken any reps though so he likely won't play. This program is bigger than 1 kid's redshirt as long as they are planning to play him. Nothing wrong with evaluating and finding out whether ANY of SMU's QBs can play so the next coach knows what he has. Why are we saving a redshirt season for a 2 Star QB who may not even fit into the plans of the next Coach?

So Trevone Boykin had one more star beside his name but his only offers according to Rivals were TCU and UTEP. Pretty sure Gary was bringing him in as an athlete to switch positions since he ran a 4.5 and rushed for 1800 yds his senior year ......... and look how he has miraculously transformed with a new scheme and better coaching!

Not sure why you would burn Severts redshirt so he can get some reps in a sh*t offense, that won't be run by the new staff, directed by incompetent coaches? If Severt turns out to be the guy, why waste a year of eligibility for these meaningless last few games. Let the new staff make the evaluations. I'm sure that's what they'd prefer.

I don't buy the line that these kids are auditioning for the new staff either. I think it's pretty safe to say the new staff and coaches will come in with a message that the past is the past and this is the dawn of a new day. Everyone is now starting over, at the same level, and the competition for every position is wide open. This staff will coach with an entirely different attitude, with totally different schemes and techniques for everybody from the QB's to OLine, DLine & DB's to special teams. They will be evaluated on how they perform in the new offense and the new defense during much more fast paced and spirited practices I suspect.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of new starters next year with some of June's 'experienced' guys riding the pine. Going to be fun to see how it all comes together.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:00 pm

No TCU recruited Boykin as a QB from Day 1-played him as a Freshman, Sophomore and Junior as a QB. Did you follow his high school career? The kid was an awesome talent

Stallion

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:04 pm

I made the statement a couple of years ago that I thought Boykin was better than Pachall. The TCU people shredded me. Wonder now if they still disagree with me?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football