PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jones already "recharged"?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:18 pm

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... man-102814

Update: June Jones stepped down at SMU after the second game of this season but told FOX Sports this week that he plans to get back to college coaching soon.
"I've been recharging and will do one more turn-around somewhere and am going to coach five-to-seven more years," Jones said, adding that he's been contacted by a few folks to gauge his interest in possible coaching opportunities.
Since leaving SMU, Jones has spent time back in Hawaii, in Oregon with his grandkids and in Las Vegas helping a pro golfer, Tony Finau, who he's been behind for six years, he says. "He is the real deal!" The former Hawaii coach has also been assisting on a movie that he thinks will be very inspirational that is being made about him and some of his former players. You can see more about that project here.
Asked why he stepped down from SMU in early September, Jones said Monday morning, "It's a long story. We had a good run with four bowls in six seasons. It was just time to go.
"I'm really enjoying being around my kids and grandkids right now, and I'm just waiting for things to pop (on the coaching carousel)."
Last edited by GiddyUp on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jones already "recharged"?

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Oh dear...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm

What moron AD would hire him after the flaming pile of garbage he left here????
skyscraper

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Also, JJ's self-confidence levels certainly haven't taken a hit. Wow.
skyscraper

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Not at all surprising, notice how that 3-5 years went up to 5-7 years. He has to coach longer now that he won't be making anywhere near the 2 million dollars per year he was making here.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby TidePony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:31 pm

JJ, just a complete fool! Everyone knows it now, too.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:34 pm

skyscraper wrote:What moron AD would hire him after the flaming pile of garbage he left here????

Remember, the narrative at large is that June won at SMU despite having to deal with a stringent, anti-football administration. Besides it only takes one "moron AD" to get June back in FBS.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Oh my
You guys got to read this article-June Jones is a crazy loon. Yes indeed he did have a "different recruiting philosophy". Now we know what mexmustang has been bitchin' about-they wouldn't hire his crazy Svengali friend. If this guy was so great at reading the personality types of QBs-how come none of the QBs he recruits can play?

“I just fly him over,” Jones said. “Jon sensed that I got it, and he wanted to help, and that I was more open than any coach he’d ever talked to.” Jones, in his second season at SMU -- after he’d led the Mustangs to their best season in 25 years -- tried to get Niednagel hired as a professor in the Sports Management department.

“If he was a professor, I could run the recruits by him, but they wouldn’t let me do it,” Jones said. “[Niednagel] wanted to do the science to give validity to what he was doing, and being a professor at the university would do that for him. [SMU athletics director] Steve Orsini approved it, but we didn’t have the money in the department to do it.”
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Big12Mustang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:39 pm

June can go [deleted] himself. I will feel bad for the school with the moron ad that ends up hiring him
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:39 pm

sbsmith wrote:
skyscraper wrote:What moron AD would hire him after the flaming pile of garbage he left here????

Remember, the narrative at large is that June won at SMU despite having to deal with a stringent, anti-football administration. Besides it only takes one "moron AD" to get June back in FBS.

I would disagree with that, locally at least. Press post-dismissal was shockingly heavy on "JJ & co. stopped recruiting/no TX HS coach has seen anyone from SMU" and "JJ checked out."
Different than the end of 2013 narrative that was pushed by Leigh Steinberg via Rick Gosselin and other writers of "I don't have everything I need."

Things only took a tough turn post-dismissal after Dickerson started running his mouth about how the program needed to be shut down or taken seriously.
skyscraper

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Stallion wrote:Oh my
You guys got to read this-June Jones is a crazy loon. Yes indeed he did have a "different recruiting philosophy". Now we know what mexmustang has been bitchin' about-they wouldn't hire his crazy Svengali friend.

hahahahh yes, glad someone brought that part up.
My head nearly exploded.
JJ truly is something else.
skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:48 pm

RECRUITING ADVICE FROM THE LITTLE LEAGUE SOCCER AND BASEBALL COACH:

Niednagel, who worked out of a tiny south-central Missouri town (population: 453), was met with much skepticism from the science community, which took issue with the fact that he had no advanced scientific degree. Instead, he had a BS in finance from Long Beach State. But he was quick to point out that he’d had almost 40 years of research. He maintained that 60 percent of athletic ability came from personality type, and the other 40 percent stemmed from external factors, including how they were coached. He first started noticing the variances in motor skills when he coached his kids’ Little League soccer and baseball teams. Soon, he was testing out his theories.“I’d draft certain kids even though they’d never played before,” he said. “I’d talk to the kid. I knew that, by halfway through the season, just by my coaching him, he’d be better than a kid who’d looked 10 times better in the workout.”
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Niednagel = THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN/JJ

skyscraper

Postby sbsmith » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:59 pm

skyscraper wrote:

Things only took a tough turn post-dismissal after Dickerson started running his mouth about how the program needed to be shut down or taken seriously.

That's right, things did take a turn and the media ran with the Dickerson thing far more than any of that stuff from local HS Football people.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:06 pm

skyscraper wrote:Niednagel = THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN/JJ

I guess he couldn't evaluate without his guy here. Haha. Now we know who the real guru was :lol: :roll:
Last edited by GiddyUp on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GiddyUp

Next

Return to Football