PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jones already "recharged"?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jones already "recharged"?

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:15 pm

While JJ was at SMU and during his 'turnaround' for the program, I was disappointed, if not frustrated, by his unwillingness to engage alumni, fans and students. He acted as if it was beneath him.

I was pleased with some of his results, but I couldn't warm up to the guy. Perhaps it was his hubris or that he projected he was above working with fans and help grow our fan base. Legends (in his own mind) apparently don't need to extend themselves. In recruiting, he must have felt it was also beneath him. As a "legend", he expected recruits to chase him?

However, my newest and biggest complaint is that JJ is a coward. He knew that the team his built was not strong and then he abandoned them. Coward is too kind a word for his action.
Last edited by Water Pony on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyKai » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Fun fact: the last three Athletic Directors to be personally involved in the hiring of June Jones as football coach all were fired. Love, Orsini, and that buffoon at Hawaii when June walked.
PonyKai

Postby skyscraper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:27 pm

From the story - now we know why recruiting dropped off the past few years:

Usually by this stage, Jones (who has since resigned from the SMU job) would’ve already known his player’s type, but for the past three years Niednagel has been unavailable, battling Stage IV melanoma. He’s had to battle two bouts of pneumonia and arsenic poisoning that he got, he said, from eating so much wild rice. “I’d seen top experts in the field but ended up creating my own protocols,” Niednagel said. “I was two weeks from death, but I’ve come back a long way.”
skyscraper

Postby fifty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I guess June could never get the estp out of the juvenile detention home that he needed. Maybe this crap works if you're drafting the nfl....not so much if you're drafting unranked hs prospects.
fifty
Heisman

Postby OR-See-Nee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:36 pm

"When you don’t prepare, you’re at your best."

LOL! :lol:

About sums it up!
/No Hate. Just Facts. Occasional sarcasm.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:38 pm

Told you he was a heretical spiritual nut. Between the Hawaiian spiritualism and this pseudo-science I'm surprised he doesn't have a psychic on the sideline channeling dead coaches of the past to call his plays.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Dairy Crampus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Thanks for reminding me to pitch my copy of Hawaii Warrior Football - the Jones sycophant trash I bought and read when he was first hired. What a clown.
Dairy Crampus
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:49 pm

skyscraper wrote:From the story - now we know why recruiting dropped off the past few years:

Usually by this stage, Jones (who has since resigned from the SMU job) would’ve already known his player’s type, but for the past three years Niednagel has been unavailable, battling Stage IV melanoma. He’s had to battle two bouts of pneumonia and arsenic poisoning that he got, he said, from eating so much wild rice. “I’d seen top experts in the field but ended up creating my own protocols,” Niednagel said. “I was two weeks from death, but I’ve come back a long way.”

good catch-it WASN"T Klemm or Reinbold leaving-it was the illness of his Svengali recruiting guru-now we know why his last 3 recruiting classes have hit rock bottom
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:55 pm

I know it will never happen but I'm going to email Bill Nichols and request that he try to get an interview with JJ. I'm going to ask him to please ask the tough, but appropriate, questions. Maybe if enough of us email.....
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:
SMU's mistake was not in hiring Jones. Our mistake was being unwilling to PonyUp, accept the consequences, and fire him after the ASU fiasco.

I may be wrong, but I got the impression coming in to this year that Jones and the staff was reinvigorated. That they were actually getting off their butts, making some waves and signing some good kids. Problem is, evidently, that the damage was already done. Too many years of giving 'ships to friends' kids, diamonds in the rough, and not competing for playmakers.

I think this is a good explanation of why the recruiting was not good.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby footballdad » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Maybe he can join Mumme at Belhaven as an assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator. Bring our whole ex-staff along.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Jones is not very good at ESTP brain-typing:

"Jones has never had an ESTP in college. He admitted he tried to type guys all the time, especially quarterbacks, and he always ended up wrong."
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:07 pm

We have a vacancy... hah
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby 78pony » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:15 pm

Where are the jj defenders these days? Can they shed some light on this. Wow, totally off the deep end.
78pony
Heisman

Postby Paladin » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others. People with this disorder often believe they are of primary importance in everybody’s life or to anyone they meet. While this pattern of behavior may be appropriate for a king in 16th Century England, it is generally considered inappropriate for most ordinary people today.
Paladin
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football