PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jones already "recharged"?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jones already "recharged"?

Postby gostangs » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 pm

it would have been messy - but we should have fired him for cause when we discovered he was contacting SMU recruits about switching to ASU. Say he breached his contract and stop paying him. He would have sued - and we would have ended up in a settlement - but that would have been cheaper than what actually happened.

Any new coach candidate turned off by that is not who we would have wanted anyway.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:15 pm

Rebel10 wrote:The problem was not the hiring. The problem was not firing him after the ASU fiasco. Would you agree with that IPP?

Yes Rebel10....now in hindsight I think that would have been best.
At the time after watching our success I did not support firing him then.
My thinking was...whoaa...I am enjoying these bowls, etc...we'll survive.
But yes in hindsight....I now see he should have been fired.
I never thought he would give up trying after ASU...but he did.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby gord » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:45 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:The problem was not the hiring. The problem was not firing him after the ASU fiasco. Would you agree with that IPP?

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't know if a reasonable person could foresee a winless season three years after making three straight bowl games.
gord
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:45 pm

gostangs wrote:it would have been messy - but we should have fired him for cause when we discovered he was contacting SMU recruits about switching to ASU. Say he breached his contract and stop paying him. He would have sued - and we would have ended up in a settlement - but that would have been cheaper than what actually happened.

Any new coach candidate turned off by that is not who we would have wanted anyway.

It would have very messy-it still might be in litigation right now unless the parties came to their senses and settled. I'm not sure which way it would have gone and it would have to have been a snap decision because recruiting signing date was right around the corner. In hindsight-its easy to say that would have been better but quite frankly I'm not surprised that they didn't fire him. As I've said, both parties should have mutually agreed to a settlement last year. Both sides are going to pay a HUGE price for such petty stubbornness when everybody knew divorce was the only logical answer. I really believe June is never going to get a decent job above the Sun Belt line. You know maybe a NMSU or SJSU type job at a fraction of his salary
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

There were a lot of people that had the beaten wife syndrome that thought that SMU could not do any better than Jones like Mexmustang, most of the COC, JasonB etc. Mexmustang even said that the June Jones years were the best the school would ever see so firing him would be the worst thing they could do. I guess they found out now that keeping was even worse. Now he is publicly bad mouthing the school again.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Rebel10 wrote:There were a lot of people that had the beaten wife syndrome that thought that SMU could not do any better than Jones like Mexmustang, most of the COC, JasonB etc. Mexmustang even said that the June Jones years were the best the school would ever see so firing him would be the worst thing they could do. I guess they found out now that keeping was even worse. Now he is publicly bad mouthing the school again.

Rebel10 I was a June supporter, but I never thought 7 wins and small time bowls would be the end-game. I did however cheer loudly when we went from complete darkness to bowl games. How could anyone not have enjoyed this after where we had been?

I believed we were taking "baby steps" because SMU would never be able to pull off a miracle run like say a Miss State. I assumed we would continue progressing...after-all we went from terrible to at least being on the post-season map again. I did not however foresee June throwing in the towel and just giving up.

I think we can get to regular 8-9 win seasons with the right coach,
and maybe 10 wins every so often. I think some poeple don't fully
realize how fun 9-10 win seasons could be for us.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:There were a lot of people that had the beaten wife syndrome that thought that SMU could not do any better than Jones like Mexmustang, most of the COC, JasonB etc. Mexmustang even said that the June Jones years were the best the school would ever see so firing him would be the worst thing they could do. I guess they found out now that keeping was even worse. Now he is publicly bad mouthing the school again.

Rebel10 I was a June supporter, but I never thought 7 wins and small time bowls would be the end-game. I did however cheer loudly when we went from complete darkness to bowl games. How could anyone not have enjoyed this after where we had been?

I believed we were taking "baby steps" because SMU would never be able to pull off a miracle run like say a Miss State. I assumed we would continue progressing...after-all we went from terrible to at least being on the post-season map again. I did not however foresee June throwing in the towel and just giving up.

I think we can get to regular 8-9 win seasons with the right coach,
and maybe 10 wins every so often. I think some poeple don't fully
realize how fun 9-10 win seasons could be for us.

I think a lot of people realize how much fun 9-10 win seasons could be. But now it is more that just fun because SMU needs to do that just to stay in the conversation for the next round of conference realignment. But June has effectively set the program back at least 4 years. It will probably take, as stated in another thread, the next coach 3 or 4 good recruiting classes to get SMU to anywhere near that point.
Last edited by SMU 86 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby sbsmith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:19 pm

gord wrote:
Hindsight is always 20/20, but I don't know if a reasonable person could foresee a winless season three years after making three straight bowl games.

It wasn't difficult to foresee if you paid attention to recruiting. Most of our fans didn't believe that our talent level was declining so they trusted June to pull out another six wins and a mediocre bowl appearance.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:35 pm

SMU 86 wrote:But June has effectively set the program back at least 4 years. It will probably take, as stated in another thread, the next coach 3 or 4 good recruiting classes to get SMU to anywhere near that point.

SMU86....I know there are a lot of variables but do you think the
right coach could get us to 6 wins by his second season? I am not getting any
younger and hate the thought of several 0-12, 1-11, 4-7 seasons. Plus what
in the hell will our crowds dwindle to even with a new coach if we continue
the near zero win seasons?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Stallion wrote:A skeptic's review of the pseudoscience of Brain Typing-compares the guy to Tony Robbins and claims there is no scientific support for Brain Typing. Could this be the unstated reason to come to SMU-to include Brain Typing as part of the new curriculum in the then new College of Education Applied Physiology major? Maybe he has some kind of financial interest-he's been following this guy for decades and is on the board of his Institute.

http://skepdic.com/braintyping.html

Reminds me of that class they offer at SMU, "The Scientific Method - Debunking Pseudoscience." If SMU had hired Niednagel, he no doubt would have butted heads with the professors who have been teaching that class for the past 10+ years:

This course will provide students with an understanding of the scientific method sufficient to detect pseudoscience in its many guises: paranormal phenomena, free-energy devices, alternative medicine, intelligent design creationism/creation science, denial of human-induced climate change, propaganda, denial of science-based medicine, misuse of data and statistics, and many others. Students will learn to think critically and creatively and to question outlandish claims, hype, propaganda, outright nonsense.

http://www.physics.smu.edu/pseudo/goals.html
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 pm

aus10fromhous10 wrote:
Stallion wrote:A skeptic's review of the pseudoscience of Brain Typing-compares the guy to Tony Robbins and claims there is no scientific support for Brain Typing. Could this be the unstated reason to come to SMU-to include Brain Typing as part of the new curriculum in the then new College of Education Applied Physiology major? Maybe he has some kind of financial interest-he's been following this guy for decades and is on the board of his Institute.

http://skepdic.com/braintyping.html

Reminds me of that class they offer at SMU, "The Scientific Method - Debunking Pseudoscience." If SMU had hired Niednagel, he no doubt would have butted heads with the professors who have been teaching that class for the past 10+ years:

This course will provide students with an understanding of the scientific method sufficient to detect pseudoscience in its many guises: paranormal phenomena, free-energy devices, alternative medicine, intelligent design creationism/creation science, denial of human-induced climate change, propaganda, denial of science-based medicine, misuse of data and statistics, and many others. Students will learn to think critically and creatively and to question outlandish claims, hype, propaganda, outright nonsense.

Best class I took at SMU. Should be required for all students.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Re: Jones already

Postby aus10fromhous10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:06 pm

couch 'em wrote:
aus10fromhous10 wrote:Reminds me of that class they offer at SMU, "The Scientific Method - Debunking Pseudoscience." If SMU had hired Niednagel, he no doubt would have butted heads with the professors who have been teaching that class for the past 10+ years:

Best class I took at SMU. Should be required for all students.

I actually took it twice. Failed it the first time because I went to something like a grand total of 15 classes all semester and was too dumb to drop it. (I like to tell myself now that I was just taking my punishment for slacking off so badly.) Then I took it seriously the second time around and got an A. Definitely a worthwhile course.
aus10fromhous10
Junior Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:22 pm

After leaving SMU high and dry with the worst team in America there isn't a D1A program in the country that would let June Jones be its head coach. His offense is a dinosaur, his recruiting is terrible, his personality is apathetic, and he's old. His head coaching days at the D1A level are over. Even Hawaii would be crazy to make him HC.

The thing with June is that the narrative always changes to fit his version of the truth. We don't have the academic support, we don't have an IPF, we don't have enough fans in the stands, we have too tough of a schedule, we need to move the stadium lights, etc.....

All of this goes back to Arizona State. Sadly, our leadership at the time still had battered wife syndrome and couldn't/wouldn't cut bait with June. That's my real concern with this next coaching decision. Will we actually hold this staff to a standard of excellence? We gave June extensions and millions for mediocrity. I just don't know that we hold our football program to any sort of standard at all.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Arkpony » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:58 pm

Do we put Jones picture up on the wall next to Pye? They both have set back athletics at SMU years.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Alaric » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:After leaving SMU high and dry with the worst team in America there isn't a D1A program in the country that would let June Jones be its head coach. His offense is a dinosaur, his recruiting is terrible, his personality is apathetic, and he's old. His head coaching days at the D1A level are over. Even Hawaii would be crazy to make him HC.

The thing with June is that the narrative always changes to fit his version of the truth. We don't have the academic support, we don't have an IPF, we don't have enough fans in the stands, we have too tough of a schedule, we need to move the stadium lights, etc.....

All of this goes back to Arizona State. Sadly, our leadership at the time still had battered wife syndrome and couldn't/wouldn't cut bait with June. That's my real concern with this next coaching decision. Will we actually hold this staff to a standard of excellence? We gave June extensions and millions for mediocrity. I just don't know that we hold our football program to any sort of standard at all.

Someone else will fall under the spell of Juneses, trust me.
Alaric
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football