PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SI: June on SMU (today 10/29)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: SI: June on SMU (today 10/29)

Postby JasonB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:20 am

Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote: What is really going to count is when the new guy talks to Larry and some of the players.

Since when would a candidate be talking to Larry Brown and some of the players in a interview? So you are okay with what Jones said publicly while SMU is trying to get a new coach?

Pretty common to get some other opinions about a job. Find out what peers think about the school. That will carry a lot of weight.

I didn't say I was okay with anything. What I will say is that anyone who is forced out of a position is going to have sour grapes, whether it is a former prof, a football coach, or any other employee. Because I firmly believe in free speech, I accept the fact that I probably am not going to be able to control what they say. Turn the other cheek, do your best to make sure the organization is in the proper condition to attract top talent, and then go out and land that talent.

If you don't end up getting the talent, it is probably not because of what the ex-employee said. It is probably because there is something wrong with your organization.

A very similar example could be negative comments on a message board during recruiting season. Does it help recruiting? No, it certainly does it. But in the end, the recruit is going to go to a university based on the coach, program, and school. Not what some dork on a message board posted.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BigT3x » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:09 am

smusic 00 wrote:They go to class in their place, go to group study sessions in their place, and do the assignments for them. Schools like UT don't enforce attendance requirements like SMU. The athlete shows up for the test with answers the tutor gives them. I had friends at UT who got calls from tutors asking for notes from classes the tutor missed. The tutors would also show up to the labs and demand the answers from other students.

I graduated in 2010 from undergrad - went to about 33% of my classes. Graduated with a 3.3

I'm in grad school at SMU now. Going to about 50% of my class. Not doing bad.

No one at SMU seriously enforces attendance and the grades have nothing to do with reality. I've calculated my grade at a 78 before and ended up with an A- for the course. It's an easy school. There's no reason the athletes couldn't pull it off, especially considering the amount of free support that's available for them.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:46 am

Let's get back on topic. There needs to be a coordinated effort from alumni and the administration to educate people and the press about SMU and the program. There's too much disinformation and confusion about academics and SMU athletics.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby smumustang1980 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:49 am

BigT3x wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:They go to class in their place, go to group study sessions in their place, and do the assignments for them. Schools like UT don't enforce attendance requirements like SMU. The athlete shows up for the test with answers the tutor gives them. I had friends at UT who got calls from tutors asking for notes from classes the tutor missed. The tutors would also show up to the labs and demand the answers from other students.

I graduated in 2010 from undergrad - went to about 33% of my classes. Graduated with a 3.3

No one at SMU seriously enforces attendance and the grades have nothing to do with reality. I've calculated my grade at a 78 before and ended up with an A- for the course. It's an easy school. There's no reason the athletes couldn't pull it off, especially considering the amount of free support that's available for them.

This wasn't my experience as an undergrad at SMU and certainly not my experience as a grad at UVA. I have a hard time believing this is a widespread practice at SMU among undergrads and especially grad students. I can't imagine not attending a grad seminar.
About 25 feet from the Hillcrest track... With the boots so tall and the writing on the wall...
smumustang1980
All-American

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:53 am

JasonB wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
JasonB wrote: What is really going to count is when the new guy talks to Larry and some of the players.

Since when would a candidate be talking to Larry Brown and some of the players in a interview? So you are okay with what Jones said publicly while SMU is trying to get a new coach?

Pretty common to get some other opinions about a job. Find out what peers think about the school. That will carry a lot of weight.

I didn't say I was okay with anything. What I will say is that anyone who is forced out of a position is going to have sour grapes, whether it is a former prof, a football coach, or any other employee. Because I firmly believe in free speech, I accept the fact that I probably am not going to be able to control what they say. Turn the other cheek, do your best to make sure the organization is in the proper condition to attract top talent, and then go out and land that talent.

If you don't end up getting the talent, it is probably not because of what the ex-employee said. It is probably because there is something wrong with your organization.

A very similar example could be negative comments on a message board during recruiting season. Does it help recruiting? No, it certainly does it. But in the end, the recruit is going to go to a university based on the coach, program, and school. Not what some dork on a message board posted.

I seriously doubt the next coach would call Larry Brown or current basketball or football players. He would probably talk to other football head coaches and maybe even June but not a basketball coach at the school or players.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby SMU 86 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:54 am

smumustang1980 wrote:Let's get back on topic. There needs to be a coordinated effort from alumni and the administration to educate people and the press about SMU and the program. There's too much disinformation and confusion about academics and SMU athletics.

That would be a good step.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby SMUer » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:21 am

I don't get it...it isn't our job as fans to protect our school's reputation from the media. And yet, SMU continues to tuck its tail and so we kinda have to. We are school know for its Law School... Everything about SMU Football feels so JV.
SMUer

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:28 am

SMUer wrote:I don't get it...it isn't our job as fans to protect our school's reputation from the media. And yet, SMU continues to tuck its tail and so we kinda have to. We are school know for its Law School... Everything about SMU Football feels so JV.

I would hope they would be sending some type of cease and desist letter to June regarding his public statements. Or at least looking into doing so.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 am

JJ is a schmo.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby ponypridecirca1989 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:29 am

smumustang1980 wrote:
BigT3x wrote:

This wasn't my experience as an undergrad at SMU and certainly not my experience as a grad at UVA. I have a hard time believing this is a widespread practice at SMU among undergrads and especially grad students. I can't imagine not attending a grad seminar.

Nor my experience.

This is not a model to emulate, but no doubt it represents the approach of the majority of students (at SMU and elsewhere). SMU and other private schools aren't in the business of flunking people out; its bad for business.
ponypridecirca1989

Postby lwjr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:27 am

mrydel wrote:
Stallion wrote:Nice retort by SMUDad in Comment Section

Did you see Gary Patterson's comment? Said we went down hill after he stopped helping us.

How has Patterson, "helped" SMU?
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby CenTXpony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am

lwjr wrote:
mrydel wrote:
Stallion wrote:Nice retort by SMUDad in Comment Section

Did you see Gary Patterson's comment? Said we went down hill after he stopped helping us.

Surely it's a troll job... funny that Big12 commented immediately after "GP".....
CenTXpony
Heisman

SI: June on SMU (today 10/29)

Postby lwjr » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:49 pm

CenTXpony wrote:
lwjr wrote:
mrydel wrote:[quote="Stallion"]Nice retort by SMUDad in Comment Section

Surely it's a troll job... funny that Big12 commented immediately after "GP".....[/quote]

I just think it was and still is a funny quote from GP. Maybe he is GP! lol
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm

the thing that has always really bothered me about JJ is that his shtick has constantly been "me, me, me"...I don't EVER remember hearing an interview where he gave any credit to his staff. Plenty of "I" recognized this or "I" knew this or that. What set me off yesterday was reading his "I tried to do it all". For a guy who hasn't accomplished much, he's got to be the biggest ego-maniac in the business. Looking back, I cringed when SMU introduced him with that "June Cometh" campaign. I remember being given a t-shirt after attending an event shortly after his hire. Can't remember if I threw it away or used it as a cleaning cloth...but I couldn't bring myself to wear something like that. Did SMU give the guy his Messiah Complex?
Charleston Pony

Postby CenTXpony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:24 pm

lwjr wrote:
CenTXpony wrote:
lwjr wrote:[quote="mrydel"][quote="Stallion"]Nice retort by SMUDad in Comment Section

Surely it's a troll job... funny that Big12 commented immediately after "GP".....[/quote]

I just think it was and still is a funny quote from GP. Maybe he is GP! lol[/quote]

Absolutely, haha.
CenTXpony
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football