PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Latest coaching projections

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Latest coaching projections

Postby CA Mustang » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Job: SMU
Hire: Chad Morris, offensive coordinator, Clemson

A couple of years ago, Gus Malzahn went from being one of the most high profile head coaching candidates in the country to a Sun Belt head coach at Arkansas State. That ended up working out pretty well for all parties and if I’m SMU I’m making a similar play for Morris.

He’s a perfect fit on SMU’s end. An offensive coach that can jump start the scoring in Dallas. Culturally his offense fits what June Jones has established at SMU. He’s a legendary Texas high school coach that would have tremendous success recruiting the state and would be a hit locally. But he’s also a coach that has developed the brand name to make a splash nationally.

As a popular candidate for head coaching jobs on an annual basis, Morris has become the nation’s highest paid coordinator at more than $1 Million annual salary. That has allowed him to be picky about what job he takes but being back home could be enough of a carrot to reel him in. On SMU’s side, there’s a clear danger of Morris using it as a stepping stone but after the disaster of 2014, Morris would have to leave the program in a much better spot than he found it if he were to find a better opportunity anywhere else.

http://247sports.com/Article/The-perfec ... 4-32450414
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: Latest coaching projections

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:16 pm

I want to be a stepping stone. Last coach to leave SMU for better position was Ron Meyer. I want someone to do such a great job that everyone wants him.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:50 pm

mrydel wrote:I want to be a stepping stone. Last coach to leave SMU for better position was Ron Meyer. I want someone to do such a great job that everyone wants him.

Same here. I want the hottest most desired coach in the US in about 3 years. Put us one the map so we can attract even better coaches.
ponyte

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Yes being a stepping stone instead of a graveyard would be a nice change. Granted June dug his own grave here as opposed to his predecessors who had no chance when they signed up for the job.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby SMU89 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:42 pm

mrydel wrote:I want to be a stepping stone. Last coach to leave SMU for better position was Ron Meyer. I want someone to do such a great job that everyone wants him.

You are
SMU89

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm

SMU89 wrote:

You are

Yes. It happened somewhere between the first and second marriage.
mrydel

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:16 am

I want us to become a stepping stone until the program reaches that level of being preseason ranked every season and we finally find that coach that stays.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:35 am

We would do well to find our own version of Fatterson (or course without all the warts).
redpony

Postby OR-See-Nee » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 am

ponyte wrote:

Same here. I want the hottest most desired coach in the US in about 3 years. Put us one the map so we can attract even better coaches.

Agree 100%.
/No Hate. Just Facts. Occasional sarcasm.
OR-See-Nee
Heisman

Postby ghost » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 am

TCU used to be a stepping stone if a coach had a lucky season like Wacker or Franchione. Patterson changed that and he was right. If everyone gets on board it can be turned into a destination instead of a stepping stone...see k state, Oregon, tcu, Oklahoma state, Baylor
ghost
All-American

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:59 am

Yeah, all P5 schools with tons of cash. A good coach here will leave until we reach the P5 level. Too much enticement. Patterson was an exception to the rule who did not want to leave before the BCS and then was positioned well when the BCS emerged. He was in a perfect storm and performed perfectly in it.
mrydel

Postby Digetydog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:41 pm

mrydel wrote:Yeah, all P5 schools with tons of cash. A good coach here will leave until we reach the P5 level. Too much enticement. Patterson was an exception to the rule who did not want to leave before the BCS and then was positioned well when the BCS emerged. He was in a perfect storm and performed perfectly in it.

In contrast, when schools like Louisville got the nod from the ACC, June Jones had already failed.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football