PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

GG cut from Rams practice squad

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:55 am

on 10/29. Didnt see it posted here
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: GG cut from Rams practice squad

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 am

Best of luck to him.

So super agent Leigh Steinberg[TRADE MARK SIGN] has no clients currently employed
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:11 am

Jeff Gordon of the Post Dispatch on Gilbert's time with the Rams:

"Keenum bumped Garrett Gilbert, who had no chance to make it. Gilbert was brutal in training camp. He appeared utterly lost. He was a living, breathing example of just how little value late-round draft picks have.

So, sure, moving a sixth-round pick to Tampa Bay in the Barron package was no big deal."
PonyKai

Postby footballdad » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:Jeff Gordon of the Post Dispatch on Gilbert's time with the Rams:

"Keenum bumped Garrett Gilbert, who had no chance to make it. Gilbert was brutal in training camp. He appeared utterly lost. He was a living, breathing example of just how little value late-round draft picks have.

So, sure, moving a sixth-round pick to Tampa Bay in the Barron package was no big deal."

"Utterly lost" ....... caught in the June Jones fog of coaching. Such a coaching guru :roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 am

Wrong Meyers-Brigs rating to be a QB, clearly. Should have used a tiki eikon and some viking runestones to help his chances. Maybe sacrifice a pineapple.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ghost » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:19 am

As if some guy with the post-dispatch knew anything. Keenum wasn't even drafted. Gilbert just needs to hang in there learning until the right situation comes along.....McCoy beats the Cowboys without much help and finds himself on the bench after leading the skins to 2 of their 4 wins...go figure. Life in the NFL with even bad coaches at that level.
ghost
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 am

As a NY Jets STH, I would love to find out that the Jets cut Geno "No Clue" Smith and signed Gilbert to the Practice Squad.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:56 am

ghost wrote:As if some guy with the post-dispatch knew anything. Keenum wasn't even drafted. Gilbert just needs to hang in there learning until the right situation comes along.....McCoy beats the Cowboys without much help and finds himself on the bench after leading the skins to 2 of their 4 wins...go figure. Life in the NFL with even bad coaches at that level.

Gilbert simply doesn't have the accuracy necessary to be an NFL, or even P5, QB. I love the guy to death, and we would have been so so soooooooo awful without him, but like I said at the time of the draft, he simply isn't accurate. He has the gifts, but just like Tebow, couldn't make it work. I hope he gets to stick somewhere for a couple years though and can learn a thing or two.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 pm

June has never had a QB he coached in college play in a regular season NFL game or even be on a regular season roster. QB Guru indeed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SMU2007 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm

Ok so maybe he's not a qb guru. But he sure is an offensive guru....well that's not totally true. But his defense...well yea that sucks as well. But you have to respect his recruiting. Wait he's not very good at that. At least he's a great front man, promoting the school....
SMU2007

Postby PonyKai » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 pm

He's put more mascots onto the field then QBs into the NFL. He's a mascot guru.
PonyKai

Postby JasonB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:14 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
ghost wrote:As if some guy with the post-dispatch knew anything. Keenum wasn't even drafted. Gilbert just needs to hang in there learning until the right situation comes along.....McCoy beats the Cowboys without much help and finds himself on the bench after leading the skins to 2 of their 4 wins...go figure. Life in the NFL with even bad coaches at that level.

Gilbert simply doesn't have the accuracy necessary to be an NFL, or even P5, QB. I love the guy to death, and we would have been so so soooooooo awful without him, but like I said at the time of the draft, he simply isn't accurate. He has the gifts, but just like Tebow, couldn't make it work. I hope he gets to stick somewhere for a couple years though and can learn a thing or two.

His accuracy improved significantly his senior year, but he still falls back to poor mechanics when the pocket breaks down. IMHO, that can be fixed.

What can't be fixed, IMHO, is his slow reads. He doesn't switch through progressions quick enough; we had to essentially cut the field in half for him and then let him run after the second option.
JasonB

Postby SMU2007 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:05 am

The whole "look how many players June put in the nfl!" Is also starting to look a little silly
SMU2007

Return to Football