PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

why won't hart and/or Turner

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: why won't hart and/or Turner

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:32 pm

gostangs wrote:beloved in CFB circles? I think not. Outside of Hawaii, oregon and North texas nobody has every heard of him, and people in no. texas are forgetting pretty fast.

I predict he gets a lower level head coach job in the west coast - like on of those california directional schools.

would not be surprised to see Idaho take a chance on him if/when they fire their current coach
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyfanman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Beloved? Ask ASU about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Why should I hire you to be my latex salesman?" JS
ponyfanman
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
gostangs wrote:beloved in CFB circles? I think not. Outside of Hawaii, oregon and North texas nobody has every heard of him, and people in no. texas are forgetting pretty fast.

I predict he gets a lower level head coach job in the west coast - like on of those california directional schools.

would not be surprised to see Idaho take a chance on him if/when they fire their current coach

oooh good call. Indoor stadium
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby 78pony » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:31 pm

12 month golfing?

And the hassle of getting to Honolulu from either Boise or Spokane...?

Maybe offset by proximity to Portland.
78pony
Heisman

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Oh he's definitely beloved in CFB circles and his reputation as a program fixer is still intact. I know a lot of people on this board want June to be universally vilified for what he did to SMU Football but thanks to some well-placed disinformation that's not going to happen. He'll get another FBS head coaching gig albeit a low-paying one which will push back his retirement plans.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMU Football Blog » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:45 pm

Stallion wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

oooh good call. Indoor stadium

Ha! Per coacheshotseat.com, the Idaho coach makes $425k a year. That'd be fantastic.

I always wondered about Kansas, but if there is anybody that screams Charlie Weiss 2.0, it's June Jones.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:47 pm

I still want him at Buffalo
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:48 pm

I always thought SJSU might be interested in him due to West Coast popularity-but they've been winning right. I think they just got a new Coach after their Coach went to Colorado
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Stallion wrote:I always thought SJSU might be interested in him due to West Coast popularity-but they've been winning right. I think they just got a new Coach after their Coach went to Colorado

UNLV might come open, June loves Vegas.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby fifty » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Sjsu? June and greg robinson(former syracuse). Two really bad head coaches combined!
fifty
Heisman

Postby stc9 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:08 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:Make a public statement debunking the statements made by [deleted] clown Jones and his jock strap carrier, Dickerson? It's so maddening to see them take it lying down. How much more beneficial is it to 1. Stop the June propaganda machine and 2. Make you look like a bamf who isn't going to take cr ap from anyone.

I am going to agree with 1983 Cotton Bowl. While it might be highly cathartic to B itch Slap JJ in the media, Hart should be applauded for his restraint. The optics of going after JJ just don't work out in SMU's favor. 1) It could very easily turn perspective new coaches against SMU. (Wow! The last guy did nothing but bring them to bowl games and this is how the school treats him now? What are they going to do to me if I can't turn this around fast enough?) 2) It makes the institution look small and petty. A David vs. Goliath kind of thing.

If I was Hart's PR advisor (and he absolutely had to speak about JJ - there was just no possible way to dodge the question) I would tell him to say nice things about June, but at the same time remind people that he is damaged goods.

Examples:
I think June is a wonderful man. I hope, in fairly short order, he fully recovers from his personal issues and is well enough to pursue future opportunities.

I, personally, have always admired and liked June. I wish his health was better and could have finished the season. I know how close he has always been to his players, so it must have been a gut wrenching decision for him resign in the middle of the season. I know he would like to coach again, so it is my fervent hope that he recovers enough to pursue that goal.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby smupony94 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:16 pm

His health is fine
smupony94

Postby stc9 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:38 pm

smupony94 wrote:His health is fine

You are probably right. That was the reason June gave SI for abandoning these kids. If Hart absolutely has to speak about JJ, I would bring up this issue and be vague. It might give another school a pause or make them ask the question, "How do we know you just won't quit on our players to?" Even then, I would rather SMU didn't get into JJ with the media. There is no upside to SMU.

Can any lawyer on here answer the question: What are the liability issues in Texas when discussing a former employee?
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:06 pm

Stallion wrote:I always thought SJSU might be interested in him due to West Coast popularity-but they've been winning right. I think they just got a new Coach after their Coach went to Colorado

SJSU's current coach came from USD and is only in his second sason. While there may be some grumbling if they miss a bowl, I seriously doubt they'd look to Jones when considering a replacement.

sbsmith wrote:UNLV might come open, June loves Vegas.

Before last year that could have been a possibility, but they went to a bowl game so that gave Hauck a few more years. I figure UNLV would be the perfect school for Neuheisel if he decides to get back into coaching.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 pm

stc9 wrote:
smupony94 wrote:His health is fine

You are probably right. That was the reason June gave SI for abandoning these kids. If Hart absolutely has to speak about JJ, I would bring up this issue and be vague. It might give another school a pause or make them ask the question, "How do we know you just won't quit on our players to?" Even then, I would rather SMU didn't get into JJ with the media. There is no upside to SMU.

I am sure of one thing...anything that comes from Turner (and almost certainly Hart) will be vague. "We are going to be the best athletic program in the AAC"
"Championship athletic program."

I want definitive statements. I hear Stallion say every university restriction that exceeded NCAA minimum requirements has been removed for some time. Others seem to indicate these issues were resolved prior to JJ. How many coaches have we gone through with the blinders removed and gotten the same results? Was our rise before the ASU debacle due to JJ's scheme or better coaching of the previous regimes players or new recruits...or was it an apparition? How many coaches will we hire with Turner's involvement that end up being failures, and how long will the program continue down it's dark slide, before we start looking at the common thread across the decades of disaster?

Am I asking too much for a mission statement and a plan? Is there fear that issuing something before getting a new coach would potentially interfere with some interest? I know we are in a down time where the absolute absence of information or positive news is deafening...but anything to bring some light into this darkness that doesn't involve mentioning basketball would be nice. I don't want to bring their recent success by associating it with football.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football