PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Game ON!!!! link to KSU message board -

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Game ON!!!! link to KSU message board -

Postby NavyCrimson » Fri Jun 22, 2001 1:30 am

here it is - definitely good PR!!!

<A HREF="http://www.kstatefans.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.kstatefans.com/</A>

------------------
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Re: Game ON!!!! link to KSU message board -

Postby PK » Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:24 am

This is going to be fun!!! Pump that iron guys!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Fri Jun 22, 2001 11:46 am

We need to fare well in Manhattan. Regardless of the final score, if we stand up and fight them for 60 minutes, and make a presentable showing, this game will be huge, in terms of exposure and recruiting, not to mention in terms of the financial input to our athletic department. A good performance will be something the coaches can take into the homes of recruits and show them that we're pointed in the right direction.

However, we opened last season with a win over Kansas, and the team collapsed, thinking we were good. A strong showing - even an upset - should not give the team any reason to stop working and improving. A lot of coaches say that a team makes its greatest improvement between the first and second game of the season. We didn't last year, but regardless of how we fare against K-State, we need to improve between weeks 1 and 2.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby ponytalk » Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:07 pm

Since it is the BCA game, will ESPN Gameday be there with Corso and gang? Maybe you can answer this Corso.
ponytalk
Varsity

Postby Big12Bill » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:52 am

Actually ESPN will not be in attendance at this game. The original plan was for K-state to play USM not SMU. When K-state backed out because they didn't want to play USM so did ESPN. As a consequence there will be no "Gameday."
Big12Bill

Postby ChrisFowler » Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:56 am

Sorry, guys, but no one outside of SMU apologists and K-State hayseeds wants to see this game.

All you need to know about SMU football this season was summed up by one of the Wildcats' assistant athletic directors, who said head coach Bill Snyder approved the game with the Mustangs "very quickly" after curling up under his desk in the fetal position when ESPN mentioned Southern Miss as a possible opponent.

That is why GameDay, or any type of national interest, won't be in Manhattan.
ChrisFowler
Recruit

Postby MustangMom » Sat Jun 23, 2001 11:54 am

Maybe so Chris Fowler - but Mustang Mom thinks the Ponies can play K-State a good game! Remember Kansas? Well, K-State is a young team, two new QB's, and may be looking ahead to USC. Granted, K-State for the past few years has been MUCH stronger than SMU! But, the Mustang players have heart, a new strength coach, and hopefully better offensive play calling from the coaching staff.

Mustang Mom says GO MUSTANGS! This is a great opportuniity to start the season off on a great note. How about an upset? If we can't do that a close game is the next best thing.

Mustang Power - beat K-State!!!

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:34 pm

What you are forgetting MustangMom is that we have the same coaches, who I really doubt will change their ways, and a tremendous disadvantage in size and depth. Depth being the more important note.

They will wear us down too fast. And the mental mentality of our team going into the game will not be as good as you think if our coaches give the speech. What we need is the new strength coach to talk to the the team. I think he has really earned the players respect and ears, unlike the current staff.

I am afraid MustangMom that your glasses are a bit too rose colored.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby JPksu » Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:08 pm

What's your guys' offense look like? As far as our defense goes we had bigtime losses on the d-line but our lb core may be the best we've ever had, and that's saying a lot. We seem to always recruit great d-lineman though so nobody's really worried about the d. We also lost both starting corners so that's also a question mark.

As far as our offense goes we will have a dominant O-Line and I expect our running game to be THE best in the country this year. QB (either Dunn or Roberson, but Roberson is faster), Josh Scobey at HB (should have an amazing year), Rock Cartwright at FB (dominating blocker and good runner). The only problem I can forsee is that if Scobey goes down then we don't have much experience backing him up. However, two years ago we had a 290 lb hb (yes you read that right) named Joe Hall who had a great year but had academic problems and didn't play last year. Rumor has it that he's trying to get back on the team and if he does then I won't be worried at all.

Our WR should be solid again but all the "worries" are w/ the qb. Anytime you have a qb making his first start there's some concern. When Michael Bishop made his first (real -- playing a 1AA team doesn't count) start for us in '97 Ohio University played us extremely tough and the game was up for grabs in the 4th quarter.

How does you defense look? I just don't see how you guys will be able to stop us, but I'd like to get your opinions.

I hope this gave you a little bit of info and feel free to come to kstatefans.com to join in. It's very similar to this board and basically anything goes. But if you just want to flame then you have to take it to the Warzone message board because the football message board is supposed to be for serious talk only.

------------------
"In the last eight to ten years I can think of two things that have lived up to their billing. They are Kansas State football fans and Michael Jordan." -- Fiesat Bowl Executive Director John Junker
\"In the last eight to ten years I can think of two things that have lived up to their billing. They are Kansas State football fans and Michael Jordan.\" -- Fiesat Bowl Executive Director John Junker
JPksu

Postby NavyCrimson » Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:46 pm

don't worry - everything you have - we DON'T have...

we need the $$$ & the exposure - plain & simple ...

this is a good move by smu to schedule this game - WE NEED IT IN THE WORST OR BEST WAY!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPksu:
<B>What's your guys' offense look like? As far as our defense goes we had bigtime losses on the d-line but our lb core may be the best we've ever had, and that's saying a lot. We seem to always recruit great d-lineman though so nobody's really worried about the d. We also lost both starting corners so that's also a question mark.

As far as our offense goes we will have a dominant O-Line and I expect our running game to be THE best in the country this year. QB (either Dunn or Roberson, but Roberson is faster), Josh Scobey at HB (should have an amazing year), Rock Cartwright at FB (dominating blocker and good runner). The only problem I can forsee is that if Scobey goes down then we don't have much experience backing him up. However, two years ago we had a 290 lb hb (yes you read that right) named Joe Hall who had a great year but had academic problems and didn't play last year. Rumor has it that he's trying to get back on the team and if he does then I won't be worried at all.

Our WR should be solid again but all the "worries" are w/ the qb. Anytime you have a qb making his first start there's some concern. When Michael Bishop made his first (real -- playing a 1AA team doesn't count) start for us in '97 Ohio University played us extremely tough and the game was up for grabs in the 4th quarter.

How does you defense look? I just don't see how you guys will be able to stop us, but I'd like to get your opinions.

I hope this gave you a little bit of info and feel free to come to kstatefans.com to join in. It's very similar to this board and basically anything goes. But if you just want to flame then you have to take it to the Warzone message board because the football message board is supposed to be for serious talk only.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Navy&Crimson (edited 06-23-2001).]
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby JPksu » Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:02 pm

Unfortunately ESPN is screwing you in the exposure part. They refuse to give up the national broadcast rights. It evidently wasn't good enough for them to show it but they don't want to give it up either.

It will be broadcast regionally but this is just another way of ESPN trying to get back at Snyder. He doesn't care what the say, and he only plays on his terms. They obviously don't like that. The real loser here is the BCA, but I imagine there will be some political pressure put on ESPN so they just might cave in the next couple of months. Stay tuned...
\"In the last eight to ten years I can think of two things that have lived up to their billing. They are Kansas State football fans and Michael Jordan.\" -- Fiesat Bowl Executive Director John Junker
JPksu

Postby MustangMom » Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:15 pm

ESPN should show the game. They don't seem very smart to me - especially since initally they thought SMU was Southern Mississippi - duh.

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby PK » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisFowler:
<B>Sorry, guys, but no one outside of SMU apologists and K-State hayseeds wants to see this game.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Chris, but you are WRONG. This is one of the few season openers for college football this early on and the college football fans are ready for some FOOTBALL...period. If it were later in the season and everyone's favorite team was playing a game you would be right.

This is a classic David and Goliath type game and if SMU can hang tough for most of the game, the football fans will watch and pull for the underdog...SMU!!

Go Mustangs...get ready...get TOUGH...give 'em H-E-L-L!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby AuditCat » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:43 pm

CF- "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!"(pencil held-up vertically, in CF's face) (if I can use Lee Corso's trademark for a second, luv ya Lee!!)

The SMU - K-State match-up is as compelling as the other "great" match-ups ESPN is so proud about.

OU - UNC? Come on, that is a GAME? I think SMU could take the heels. This "game" is over by mid-second qtr.

CU - Fresno? (or is it SJSU? Oh, well, not much difference) Gee, that is some powerhouses there. Ratings will be through the roof for that one on the Right Coast....

[This message has been edited by AuditCat (edited 06-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AuditCat (edited 06-23-2001).]
AuditCat

Postby Bballer » Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangMom:
<B>ESPN should show the game. They don't seem very smart to me - especially since initally they thought SMU was Southern Mississippi - duh.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually think that story was rumored, not the truth, it seems as though ESPN dropped the game or argued the coverage when KSU decided not to play USM and decided to play SMU. I did read that article though, but I hear that was rumored.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Next

Return to Football