PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Request For Mustang Club Q & A w/ Hart and RGT

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Request For Mustang Club Q & A w/ Hart and RGT

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:08 pm

I was talking about this idea with a fellow MC member last week and I think its something that those of us who are outside the $200K/year donation bracket would at least like to be involved in to show us that we do indeed care about all of our MC members regardless of how much money you give to the program.

If I have one major complaint with this leadership its that it seems to simply take things lying down. RGT allowed June to return after the ASU disaster. Hart has been incredibly passive in response to June's post-resignation comments regarding academic and administrative support, recruiting, fans, etc. I see no real organized effort to combat this either in the media or within the university. It only adds fuel to the fire that no coach can win at SMU and June is getting it out there to anyone who will listen so that he can manipulate himself into another job.

I would ask that if there is a way to get this done then it needs to be done. I do believe that we MC members are due some sort of explanation for what has happened over these last few years. What once had so much promise has now left us in arguably the worst position we've been in since the Death Penalty. I need to hear from my university that it has a plan and will hold itself and its programs accountable to a standard of excellence. So far I've seen a university that is more than content with mediocrity. Why should I continue to invest my time, energy, passion, and money into something that has no real plan and has no desire to be great?

Again, I'm certainly not in the $200K donation crowd, but I am a MC member since graduation. I want to believe that SMU views me as important and that I'm not just a faceless number that gets a call twice a year for donations. I want to believe that if enough of us are united in wanting to get some real answers to some of these questions we've had for so long (academics, IPF, facilities, recruiting, etc.) that we might actually get an answer. That shouldn't require a $200K donation. So I ask, SID or anyone else who would be interested in organizing something along these lines .....is there any chance of this actually happening?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Request For Mustang Club Q & A w/ Hart and RGT

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:30 pm

SMT- great idea and very reasonable request. However, lots of luck on this happening. I have never felt that the admin. communicates with the 'average fan/alum' nor do they want to.
If such a meeting took place would you really expect 'firm, concrete' answers? I think you would most likely hear the same stuff that RGT constantly says but never backs up with actions (other than building another fountain).
redpony

Postby Digetydog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:34 pm

For at least two years, Hart has hosted a MC event in NYC during December. I get invited and don't donate huge money.

When I attended, Hart was very approachable and answered every question.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:38 pm

So an alumni event halfway around the country instead of doing one in Dallas where the majority of our MC members and alumni/fans live and could potentially attend? Makes sense.
StallionsModelT

Postby RyanSMU98 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:57 pm

SMT, I think it is certainly an idea worth putting out there to see if Hart is willing to answer some constructive questions face to face. I know when I have emailed him in the past he has always responded in a thoughtful manner and I am by no means a big time donor. Send him a note (rlhart@mail.smu.edu) and see if he is open to the idea of sparing some time to meet with concerned alums and then set it up. I'd be curious how he responds to a request like that. I think the key to it though is "constructive"; if it's going to be a pf.com-style drunken [deleted] fest about JJ then it ain't gonna get very far (would be fun to watch in person, though).
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby redpony » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Ryan- although I would not expect a 'beatch fest' as you mentioned I do believe that the admin. owes the alums some explanations regarding tiki and the disaster that he has created.
I would also be very interested in his thoughts on an Athletic Endowment.
redpony

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Yes I've emailed Hart in the past and he's been fairly good about responding. I will put an email together to see if he would be willing to give us some answers. I'll let you know if I hear back.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:17 pm

You are going to get asked to go out to lunch by an assistant AD. Bring your checkbook too. It would nice but quite frankly you hire quality employees and personnel and let them do their jobs.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm one of the 1,700 people who actually care. I think that makes me a pretty high priority honestly.
StallionsModelT

Postby hoop » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:40 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I'm one of the 1,700 people who actually care. I think that makes me a pretty high priority honestly.

Rick Hart seems far more accessible than most AD's - especially in terms of social media and email. His blogs are as transparent as you can reasonably expect him to be. The truth is SMU is a pretty small community and access is often possible because of it. Significant donors get what you are seeking and get it because they have paid for it.
hoop

Postby SMUstangs22 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:49 pm

He needs to be
SMUstangs22
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKai » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:38 am

I sent a long, thoughtful email explaining my disdain for the continued employment of Coach Jones after last season. I got back a long, substantive email that seemed more than simple back of the hand window dressing. I appreciate his accessibility and willingness to communicate.
PonyKai

Postby redpony » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:58 am

glad that he communicates with the 'peons'. It will be interesting to see if he is willing to meet with a group to talk about our situation.
redpony

Postby PonyKai » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:33 am

I certainly qualify as a peon in terms of donation level. Now if you include my tuition checks that number increases exponentially...
PonyKai

Postby Big12Mustang » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:37 am

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:I certainly qualify as a peon in terms of donation level. Now if you include my tuition checks that number increases exponentially...

When you pay $200,000 to an institution over 4 years you would think that would automatically get you into "pony" level at the MC :lol:
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football