PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Clemson rumor - Morris to SMU, Riley(ECU) to Clemson as OC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Clemson rumor - Morris to SMU, Riley(ECU) to Clemson as

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

The more time that passes without any actual leaks the more I think the new coach will not be Morris.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby coloradoStang » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:59 pm

'yeah it wasnt an appropriate question and we didnt get an appropriate response. It was funny, he understood who his audience was. We all thought it was funny. If we were alumns we wouldn't have just straight up asked about morris, and I assume would have gotten a more mature response. It was funny, he gained some fans from drunk college kids.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby orguy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:22 pm

coloradoStang wrote:Big news. At the basketball game my buddy was bet a beer by the rest of us that he wouldn't walk up to rick hart introduce himself and and ask him if chad morris was the next head coach. Rick hart started talking to some guy in front of the student section. So my buddy did it. He walks up to rick hart and asked him. Rick Hart told him that he should go back and tell his friends that actually the number one candidate is Nick Saban, and he really thinks that is going to be the guy.

You heard it here first pony fans. Nick Saban to SMU next week, done deal. hahaha I like rick hart he is a cool guy.

Great response. Love it. Most AD's are well trained in how to handle the inquiries of the "frenzied masses".
orguy
All-American

Postby fifty » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Maybe he was serious. It would be like when June went to Hawaii
fifty
Heisman

Postby redpony » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Our CofC was too cheap to pay off tiki to get rid of him, how do think they would ante up 10+ mil for a Nick Saban? Yes, I know his comment was a joke but how stupid!
redpony

Postby mrydel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:57 pm

If he did not already have it wrapped up he would have been very serious and just said that they were considering many applicants and would be making a decision as soon as possible.

Very good if he is kidding around like that. He is relaxed and we have a deal with someone.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PK » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:16 pm

redpony wrote:Our CofC was too cheap to pay off tiki to get rid of him, how do think they would ante up 10+ mil for a Nick Saban? Yes, I know his comment was a joke but how stupid!

Chill redpony...it was situational thing. Glad he has a sense of humor.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby No Quarter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:19 am

Probably been reported before and I miised it.

This Morris situation is a little similar to the talk about Saban before he announced for Alabama. My extended family includes a rabid and well placed Auburn fan. He told me that Alabama fans were certain for along time before any official word that Saban would the next coach. We'll see if it means something for SMU.

Another coincidence Saban's original contract with Alabama was for eight years and 4 mil annually, although that was the talk about Mack.

So which, if either, do you believe?
No Quarter
Heisman

Clemson rumor - Morris to SMU, Riley(ECU) to Clemson as OC

Postby Treadway21 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:50 am

mrydel wrote:If he did not already have it wrapped up he would have been very serious and just said that they were considering many applicants and would be making a decision as soon as possible.

Very good if he is kidding around like that. He is relaxed and we have a deal with someone.

Good read Mrydel - had not considered this take when I first read the post and I think you are on to something.

I like the response and I like how Hart has performed so far. He keeps hitting the right notes though for some it will never be good enough.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby CenTXpony » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Big12Mustang wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:Anyone care to offer a brother a basketball ticket against UCONN if I turn out to be right about both of these predictions, and both hires are announced before bowl season??

Morris 2 SMU, Riley 2 Clemson

book it

CenTxPony, blackoutpony: this bet is similar to the one we have. We doubled down so if Morris does indeed come to SMU, I would be satisfied with not owing anything on the previous bet and you leaving me alone in the forum and admitting I was right all along.

That just sounds like a Hell of a deal....
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:54 pm

coloradoStang wrote:'yeah it wasnt an appropriate question and we didnt get an appropriate response. It was funny, he understood who his audience was. We all thought it was funny. If we were alumns we wouldn't have just straight up asked about morris, and I assume would have gotten a more mature response. It was funny, he gained some fans from drunk college kids.

I think that is great. Rick does seem like a cool guy.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 pm

So how about those UConn tickets? Anyone...anyone? Bueller?
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 pm

ponyinNC wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:I'm meeting this week with the attorney that told me this originally - may have to ask if he is aware of timing and such, but I doubt it. This was a more of a general statement from him.

But if the deal has already been reached in principal, and with Clemson's loss on Saturday, I'd have to think we are looking at the earliest date being Sunday, Nov 30th - the day after Clemson plays in-state rival USC.

No reason to wait until after their bowl game.

Had the meeting today with said Clemson booster and he said if it was 90% Morris to SMU before, it is 99.9% now, to the point that they are going to want to make a quick move on the new OC (who I assume to be Riley, from our earlier convo).

No concrete details on timing - but his opinion again is that Morris is leaving Clemson and unless Lucy comes around and pulls the football from us at the last second, I think he is the next HC at SMU.

FWIW

UConn bb tix ... Not football. By the way.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:58 pm

ponyinNC wrote:So how about those UConn tickets? Anyone...anyone? Bueller?

I have 8 tickets and 2 VIP parking passes for next week. My little girl is looking forward to her first SMU game.

Thankfully, we are sitting indoors.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:18 pm

dd- hope your daughter enjoys the game and quickly becomes a SMU fan for life. (p.s. if so, you might want to start saving today.) :)
redpony

PreviousNext

Return to Football