PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Clemson rumor - Morris to SMU, Riley(ECU) to Clemson as OC

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Clemson rumor - Morris to SMU, Riley(ECU) to Clemson as

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:54 am

I can't imagine any announcement until post-UConn game no matter what arguments can be put forth in support of it.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 am

why would that matter? Coaches have been hired many times before the end of a season-in bowl situations. I'm not sure we will have coach by December 6 but I see no reason to wait if he is ready to sign
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:26 am

with an 0'fer season very likely, I agree with Stallion - not sure why we would wait until after the UConn game to at least make the announcement. Mason and the current staff coaches the game - Morris can begin to assemble staff and hit recruiting.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:35 am

Of course, my comment was based on the assumption that some seem to be under that Morris is a Done Deal. Now if we were to interview Herman then I can see that we might wait until after the Big 10 Championship on December 6th if Ohio St is in the championship
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:30 pm

I don't think it is a done deal on either end, frankly.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PK » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Most important requirement for this hire is someone with good Texas high school football coach contacts for recruiting. Sounds like Morris to me.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Digetydog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:45 pm

ponyinNC wrote:with an 0'fer season very likely, I agree with Stallion - not sure why we would wait until after the UConn game to at least make the announcement. Mason and the current staff coaches the game - Morris can begin to assemble staff and hit recruiting.

Even if they could get it done in time, I anticipate that they will wait until after the Uconn game for one reason: Mason - Under the circumstances, I think that Mason has done a good job with the mess left behind by Junesus.

If we can get him a win, we should try. Simply put, the Uconn game is winnable and introducing a new coach into the mix (even if Mason coaches the final game) is a distraction. We should let Mason have a shot (and the Seniors) at going out with a win.

Unless someone can explain to me why having a new coach in place a few days early gets us an advantage, I say wait.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Screw Mason-do what's best for the SMU Football program. He has not done a wonderful job with this team. I can barely watch this crap. Mason has a big hand in the lack of talent on this team. As much as anyone. We are still losing to pitifully bad football teams. USF was terrible with a QB that was terrible. SMU's offense was terrible with a terrible QB too who managed to lead us to about 280 yards in Total Offense with endless deluge of dinks and dunks. Exactly in what game has SMU overachieved in? ECU perhaps. After watching USF's ineptitude at QB we should have won that game. Yes a few days may matter because the last week before JUCO signing for visits is December 15. Plus the Dead Period starts on about December 17. Winning that last game doesn't mean a damn thing.
Last edited by Stallion on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stallion

Clemson rumor - Morris to SMU, Riley(ECU) to Clemson as OC

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Again, I get the reasons stated for making the announcement now or the day after [Coach to be named later] 's last game. I am just telling you it isn't going to happen. They are going to wait until after UConn. [Coach to be named later] is going to want to wait until after that game anyway.

It is what it is. We do what we do.

This assumes "Done Deal. next week", which I don't believe to actually be the case.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:07 pm

Based on what Blog
GiddyUp

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:09 pm

rant
Nacho

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:24 pm

GiddyUp wrote:Based on what Blog

I personally think there is a big difference between announcing a new coach before a bowl game and announcing a new coach before the season is over. It may have happened once before, but I don't recall it and I don't really think it has ever happened that way.

For one, there is a big difference between one week of game prep during the season and 3+ weeks between the end of the season and a bowl game.

For a second, the UConn game falls into the winnable category and someone will have the bright idea that announcing a coach before that game will prove to be a distraction. While you may not give a hill of beans about a 1 win season versus a winless season, there is a psychological difference to those that are involved in the program and those whose job it will be to sell the program going forward.

For a third, even if there is a deal in place (which I don't believe to be the case), the few days between the end of the season of said coach and our season gives said coach a brief period to work quietly away from the spotlight on staff issues and a recruiting strategy.

Fourth, said coach will simply not want to step on toes of Mason out of professional courtesy.

If you want me to say, "My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw [Turner and Morris] at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." I can't say that.

And again, I don't think there is a done deal in place. There will be no announcement before the end of the UConn game.

I may be wrong, (but I am not). If I am, I will eat my hat. I am bald. I can't afford to eat my hat.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:31 pm

I would agree there will be no official announcement before the end of the Connecticut game, but I imagine there will be some very strong rumors by then.

We'll see - either way we should know very soon.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby GreenbeltPony » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Nothing is guaranteed at this point. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we ended up with, for example, Willie Fritz or Herman even though there's been so much smoke towards Morris.
"Greenbelt Pony is right" - PonyPride
GreenbeltPony
Varsity

Postby SMU Football Blog » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:40 pm

So Morris is the plan. Morris has been the plan for 3 years. Right? Morris was the plan when everyone thought June was going to ASU. Like he was going to be announced the same day or next day-that was the plan I heard.

So whose plan is this? We have a different AD and 3 years go by, but the plan remains the same?

Also, I can also tell you some people were certain Paul Johnson wasn't going to get back on that plane.

But he did.

Done deal. Next week.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football