PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN: Poll shows FBS coaches want 8 team playoff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Big12Mustang » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:07 pm

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId= ... rc=desktop

Power 5 champs get a spot, G5 gets one and 2 at large bids. Everyone is happy.

Enjoy.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Re: ESPN: Poll shows FBS coaches want 8 team playoff

Postby PonySnob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:27 pm

June would have voted for spring football

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GiddyUp » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Duh - of course they do
GiddyUp

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:18 pm

Nobody is ever going to be happy. I can't believe they haven't learned that yet. There is no solution that will make people say "Yes! This is it!".

You go to 8 teams and you are still going to have that argument between the 2nd and 3rd at large teams. Then whoever is the odd man out will complain about the G5 team that got in ahead of them. This is a nation of whiners and nothing will change that.

That being said, people will see the dollar signs and expand away. I would not be surprised by a 16 team playoff in the next decade.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Yes but 8 would at least add regional balance and essential fairness for at least 5 out of 8 spots with Champions. More like the NFL-you win a Championship-you're in
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I agree with the 8 format but so far the powers that be (whoever they are, ESPN I believe) are adamant that it is a 10 year contract for 4 teams and will remain that until the contract ends.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:39 pm

mrydel wrote:I agree with the 8 format but so far the powers that be (whoever they are, ESPN I believe) are adamant that it is a 10 year contract for 4 teams and will remain that until the contract ends.

8 is the right number I think. Could go to 12 but 16 is too much for sure.
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby novasmu » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:42 pm

"he top-ranked Group of 5 champion and the two highest-ranked at-large teams."

Love it. With this, at least, the American champion would have a shot at a national championship. Right now, the AAC champion is virtually shut out of the national championship before the season even begins.
"We will win championships on the Hilltop" - Rick Hart - September 8, 2014
novasmu
Scout Team

Postby SMU2007 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 am

I don't like 8. I think 4 or at most 6 with 2 "first round byes" works best. When you start adding too many teams, regular season losses are meaningless and games like last weeks miss st alabama mean nothing.
SMU2007

Postby SMU2007 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 am

Also some conferences don't deserve an automatic shot at the championship. You are telling me if Missouri somehow pulled off an upset in the sec champ game they would deserve a chance at the title? It depends if you think the champion should be the best team start to finish or just the best team for the last few weeks of the year. Those ny giants superbowls certainly show how in the NFL it only matters who the best team is for the last 3 weeks
SMU2007

Postby SMU89 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:57 am

SMU2007 wrote:Also some conferences don't deserve an automatic shot at the championship. You are telling me if Missouri somehow pulled off an upset in the sec champ game they would deserve a chance at the title? It depends if you think the champion should be the best team start to finish or just the best team for the last few weeks of the year. Those ny giants superbowls certainly show how in the NFL it only matters who the best team is for the last 3 weeks

And the Superbowl champion is the best team for that day
SMU89

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:35 am

SMU2007 wrote:Also some conferences don't deserve an automatic shot at the championship. You are telling me if Missouri somehow pulled off an upset in the sec champ game they would deserve a chance at the title? It depends if you think the champion should be the best team start to finish or just the best team for the last few weeks of the year. Those ny giants superbowls certainly show how in the NFL it only matters who the best team is for the last 3 weeks

But the 8 team is to help correct the very problem you state. If Missouri were to win the SEC Championship do you think that automatically should disqualify Alabama, or Miss St. or whoever may actually have the better overall record? This way the 2 at large would be in place to cover that angle.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Big12Mustang » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:23 am

I don't care if they "deserve" it or not, they won the championship therefore they go to the playoff. And that means the losing team "deserves" not to go because they lost. If Mizzou goes to the SEC championship, it means they have something to show for getting there. 8 team playoff is the best way to maintain balance and fairness in FBS football, by giving the G5 a shot at the championship and not permanently disenfranchising them as well as some of the P5 conferences not getting left behind. If the G5 champ is good enough, they will keep moving and win the title (or at least make a deep run). If they don't "deserve" to be there, then they will lose the first round game.
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 am

novasmu wrote:"he top-ranked Group of 5 champion and the two highest-ranked at-large teams."

Love it. With this, at least, the American champion would have a shot at a national championship. Right now, the AAC champion is virtually shut out of the national championship before the season even begins.

A three loss team from the AAC doesn't deserve it
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

8 team playoff is a no-brainer solution. Each of the P-5 champions get auto bids and I like giving one spot to the highest ranked G-5. Two wildcards allows a 2nd chance to dominant teams who slip up in conference championship games. This is probably the only hope SMU has of being able to compete at the highest level in football and keeps the AAC viable.
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Football