PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ESPN: Poll shows FBS coaches want 8 team playoff

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ESPN: Poll shows FBS coaches want 8 team playoff

Postby PonySnob » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:01 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:If we had gone undefeated with this year's schedule, we would be ranked in the top 10 and would be in that 8 team playoff. All you can ask is for a system that gives you an opportunity

Has there ever been a G5 team beat that many top10/20 teams from P5 conferences in one season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ESPN: Poll shows FBS coaches want 8 team playoff

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:03 pm

PonySnob wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:If we had gone undefeated with this year's schedule, we would be ranked in the top 10 and would be in that 8 team playoff. All you can ask is for a system that gives you an opportunity

Has there ever been a G5 team beat that many top10/20 teams from P5 conferences in one season?

don't think so, but remember...they wouldn't be top 10 if we beat them

Charleston Pony

Postby MustangStealth » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:17 pm

PonySnob wrote:

You mean ... 2?
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:49 pm

ReedFrawg wrote:
mrydel wrote:I agree with the 8 format but so far the powers that be (whoever they are, ESPN I believe) are adamant that it is a 10 year contract for 4 teams and will remain that until the contract ends.

8 is the right number I think. Could go to 12 but 16 is too much for sure.

Those numbers are horribly high...no way you could have a football playoffs with more than 4-8 teams.

Oh, wait...I must be an idiot. We have a 24 team playoff in FCS, but we all know those D1AA teams don't know what they are doing. Far too little corruption and academic/athletic fraud happens with those small fries for anyone to care about.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:06 am

I'd like to just see the 8 highest rated conference champions. Fair for everyone. Adds motivation for the conferences to homogenize a little also
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 am

couch 'em wrote:I'd like to just see the 8 highest rated conference champions. Fair for everyone. Adds motivation for the conferences to homogenize a little also

Blindly valuing conference championships over actual quality is stupid. East Carolina is not more deserving of participating in the championship tournament than Alabama or MSU. This is the June Jones "non-conference games don't matter" BS.

I would rather see the best teams.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:07 am

I would prefer to see the best teams as well. The problem is how the best teams are decided. I don't think a small committee is the best way- especially when some on that committee are not even that much into sports.
redpony

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:14 pm

redpony wrote:I would prefer to see the best teams as well. The problem is how the best teams are decided. I don't think a small committee is the best way- especially when some on that committee are not even that much into sports.

I agree. The current committee is stupid. Also, in-season rankings are stupid. They should just wait until the end of the season like the basketball committee does.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I think the proposed 8 team scenario is the best. Conference champs from the P5. Best rated G5, and 2 at large. But I think each conference should have to play a championship game in order to determine who is the best at the time of the playoffs.

That way everyone get a piece of the pie and the P5 are avoiding a lawsuit by the G5.

Just my opinion.

Oh yeah, i get to pick the 2 at large.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:29 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
couch 'em wrote:I'd like to just see the 8 highest rated conference champions. Fair for everyone. Adds motivation for the conferences to homogenize a little also

Blindly valuing conference championships over actual quality is stupid. East Carolina is not more deserving of participating in the championship tournament than Alabama or MSU. This is the June Jones "non-conference games don't matter" BS.

I would rather see the best teams.
This is a ridiculous statement. Why consider an 8-team playoff when the best team may not make it to the championship game? Just pick the two best teams? How often does the "best" two teams make it to the bball championship game? A conference championship game is a valid 'first round' selection of top teams like in every other sport. You'll have some odd match ups for in the beginning but it will encourage conferences to move toward parity over time as teams seek an easier path to the conference championship.

Also you will NEVER be happy with the selection committee. It works in basketball because 64 teams is plenty to cover anyone with a legit argument for being a championship contender AND is inclusive of all conferences. You would need at least a 16 team playoff in football to even have a hope of that. Is it coming soon? No. By making conference championships matter you effectively have a tournament inclusive of everyone. You don't have a strong argument if you can't win your own conference.
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:38 pm

couch 'em wrote: This is a ridiculous statement. Why consider an 8-team playoff when the best team may not make it to the championship game? Just pick the two best teams? How often does the "best" two teams make it to the bball championship game? A conference championship game is a valid 'first round' selection of top teams like in every other sport. You'll have some odd match ups for in the beginning but it will encourage conferences to move toward parity over time as teams seek an easier path to the conference championship.

Limiting the playoff to conference champions makes as much sense as limiting the playoff to 1 team per state. Why don't we just take the highest ranked team from every state?

Because that is dumb! Some states have more depth and quality than others, just like some conferences do. The SunBelt champion will never be more deserving than the SEC runner-up.

Championships should be about the best teams. A 9-3 team that wins the conference championship over an 11-1 team is usually not the better team. Excluding that 11-1 team because they didn't win their arbitrary subset of schools waters down the quality of the playoff.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 pm

couch 'em wrote:You'll have some odd match ups for in the beginning but it will encourage conferences to move toward parity over time as teams seek an easier path to the conference championship.

THAT is a ridiculous statement. You think the SEC is going to start kicking teams out in the name of 'parity'? Let the ACC have Florida and Georgia. Let the Big 12 have Arkansas and LSU. There, now don't we all feel nicer because everyone's precious snowflakes have more even conferences.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:51 pm

couch 'em wrote: A conference championship game is a valid 'first round' selection of top teams like in every other sport.

And other sports have stupid methods for "selection of top teams." Every college football national champion ever has been an exceptional team, even if they weren't unanimous champions. You can't say that about other sports in the US.

If it were up to me there would be no BCS or playoff. And now that the door is opened it will only get bigger and stupider.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:45 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
couch 'em wrote: This is a ridiculous statement. Why consider an 8-team playoff when the best team may not make it to the championship game? Just pick the two best teams? How often does the "best" two teams make it to the bball championship game? A conference championship game is a valid 'first round' selection of top teams like in every other sport. You'll have some odd match ups for in the beginning but it will encourage conferences to move toward parity over time as teams seek an easier path to the conference championship.

Limiting the playoff to conference champions makes as much sense as limiting the playoff to 1 team per state. Why don't we just take the highest ranked team from every state?

Because that is dumb! Some states have more depth and quality than others, just like some conferences do. The SunBelt champion will never be more deserving than the SEC runner-up.

Championships should be about the best teams. A 9-3 team that wins the conference championship over an 11-1 team is usually not the better team. Excluding that 11-1 team because they didn't win their arbitrary subset of schools waters down the quality of the playoff.

By your argument we should have selection committees in every sport. What other sport has that?

The 8 team concept with 2 at-large is not horrible but it still will result in nothing but arguing about all the subjectivity.

And if a 9-3 team wins the conference over an 11-1 team, however that works out, it is merely opinion that the 11-1 team is better. The conference championship team has a very strong argument for being the better team. Or does an NCAA basketball champ not have a valid championship because a team with a better record losses in an earlier round? Under the 8 team scenario if a 1-loss SEC team gets in as a wildcard and ends up winning the championship over a No-loss SEC team, is it not legitimate because of conference record?
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:49 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
couch 'em wrote:You'll have some odd match ups for in the beginning but it will encourage conferences to move toward parity over time as teams seek an easier path to the conference championship.

THAT is a ridiculous statement. You think the SEC is going to start kicking teams out in the name of 'parity'? Let the ACC have Florida and Georgia. Let the Big 12 have Arkansas and LSU. There, now don't we all feel nicer because everyone's precious snowflakes have more even conferences.

No, of course not. SEC is an unstoppable money machine right now. Over time this may change and teams may shift. I bet Texas is liking their chances at getting into the playoff and associated benefits more than A&M is. (Obviously not this year, long term)
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

PreviousNext

Return to Football