PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL SMU-UCF GAME THREAD

Postby GiddyUp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:35 pm

On to bball! 6pm Tipoff
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby footballdad » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:47 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:If I were a parent of any kid on this team (save 5 or 6) my only words ever typed on this board would be "thank you"...under my handle of ThankYouSuckas$$14.

We'll be waiting for our 'thank you for putting up with the incompetence & indifference' from Turner, a 'thank you for hanging in there with those previous morons' from the new staff, and a 'thank you for putting up with our apathy' from the fans.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:53 pm

footballdad wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:If I were a parent of any kid on this team (save 5 or 6) my only words ever typed on this board would be "thank you"...under my handle of ThankYouSuckas$$14.

We'll be waiting for our 'thank you for putting up with the incompetence & indifference' from Turner, a 'thank you for hanging in there with those previous morons' from the new staff, and a 'thank you for putting up with our apathy' from the fans.

Best of luck at your next school.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:00 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
footballdad wrote:

Best of luck at your next school.

See ya next year! We won't hold our breathe for your 'thank you'.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:17 pm

couch 'em wrote:I think desire, tackling, technique, etc. will improve when the new coach arrives because this team is demoralized and has quit, which I can't hold against them.

Hopefully the new coach holds it against them because we're counting on him to purge the quitters out of this program.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby CoxMustangFan » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:24 pm

footballdad wrote:We won't hold our breathe for your 'thank you'.

Likely a wise move.
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyte » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:32 am

I disagree that the players have given up. I watched DS, Jr put in a strong effort. Davis played hard. Others on D played hard.

To be sure some players look as if they are tanking it in. But as a rule, I feel the players are playing hard.

The problems are numerous and can't be addressed overnight. Mason and his staff were placed in an impossible situation. Mason (or any coach) would need an off-seasaon To have a Junction City death march to weed out those that aren't committed to hard work, attention to detail and the new coaches philosophies about playing the game.

Our O line hasn't played as a unit the entire sesaon and the UCF was a continuation of that pattern. The D has too many players running into runners and not enough wrapping up and tackling. Mason has addressed this situation in practice so to some extent its a player problem not coaching. (I personally witness Mason address this issue with a D player in practice).

In some cases it isn't effort just our kids are overmatched. Off season will help with that. Also, kids just taking poor angles. There were seeral times when our players should be taking an inside out angle and instead took an outside in approach. Sure enough the cut back made fools of them. And we just don't have enough explosive hitters.

But the most obvious problem is lack of players. We need immediate help on the field and enough quality players to give us depth. The new coach has a multitude of issues to address. I don't see this team turning it around until after a new coach breaks them down and builds them back into winners. And I fear that is a very long process and not an immediate fix.
Last edited by ponyte on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyte

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:44 am

I fully expect the new coach to need 3 years to make this team competitive again, but at this point I just want to see progress. Assuming we are rebuilding from 0-12 and probably the worst team since the death penalty, a couple of wins next year looks good, then maybe 4-5 the 2nd year and a winning record by the 3rd season. I'm just hoping we don't see a 1st year like the one we saw with JJ
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 am

I believe that tiki's first year would have been better if he had not run off JWill and had been a little willing to adjust his scheme to fit what he inherited instead of trashing the whole thing.
redpony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:36 am

redpony wrote:I believe that tiki's first year would have been better if he had not run off JWill and had been a little willing to adjust his scheme to fit what he inherited instead of trashing the whole thing.

Absolutely.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyte » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 am

And to add one clear and glaring problem this year is 4 differnet starting QBs this seson. That level of instability and lack of production from the most key position in a passing offense is a clear indication of poor player development over time. And it is killing us.
ponyte

Postby couch 'em » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:40 am

I wonder if JWill is bitter that June took the glorious senior year that he earned and threw it in the dumpster
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby sbsmith » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:04 am

Charleston Pony wrote:I'm just hoping we don't see a 1st year like the one we saw with JJ

W-L record will look the same but recruiting will be a lot better and we won't have to deal with a Willis/Bo Levi caliber fiasco.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby redpony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:11 am

sbsmith wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I'm just hoping we don't see a 1st year like the one we saw with JJ

W-L record will look the same but recruiting will be a lot better and we won't have to deal with a Willis/Bo Levi caliber fiasco.

That may very well depend on who the new coach is. If it is Morris or Herman then I think we are ok. If it is somebody we don't expect then the results may be quite different..
redpony

Previous

Return to Football