PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Generations of SMU Fans

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Generations of SMU Fans

Postby Water Pony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Greatest Generation: National Champions and Heisman Trophy Winner, Doak Walker, The House that Doak Built (Cotton Bowl), Kyle Rote, Dandy Don Meredith.

Boomer Generation: Hayden Fry, Jerry Levias, SWC Championships, Bluebonnet Win, Ron Meyer, Texas Stadium, Pony Express and high National Rankings

Generation X: Death Penalty, Valley of Darkness, exile to WAC and CUSA and Ford Stadium Built

Millennials: No memory of SMU Football as a Top Tier Program, few wins over multiple seasons, Hawaii Bowl Christmas Present, four years of bowling, Ying and Yang of JJ, Big East membership evaporates, The American and JJ cowardly departure.

Our next generation?
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Generations of SMU Fans

Postby LakeHighlandsPony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Turner needs to go. Period!
LakeHighlandsPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Big12Mustang » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:03 pm

The renaissance of SMU football
Big12Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 pm

It would be interesting to see the number of PF posters by generation.

One would think it would be skewed towards youth due to technology, but because of our unique generational failures, I suspect we are a relatively older group.

Seriously, how many millennials post on the FB board or for that matter, the BB board pre-LB.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Water Pony » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:46 am

As a Boomer, I am frustrated but will always be loyal to our program. We were respected in the 60's and played above our weight. Games at the Cotton Bowl were an important part of my college days.

As for the Millennials, we have to give them a reason to participate in our tradition. They are fully capable of it, as witnessed by their commitment to our new BB revival. I am optimistic about the latest generation, if we get the right FB coaches and staff. We are the best of the sleeping giants, if we play our cards perfectly.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby NewAgeMustange » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:56 am

As you probably assume by my handle, I'm a millennial or generation y. Something that people might not realize, or SMU might not realize is that not only my class but all the students I knew during my four years are some of the most avid SMU supporters out there. We watch the games, all of them. We might not all be in the stands or purchasing tickets (I know it doesn't really count as support) but we go to the bars, have them turn on a game that we know we will lose just to watch OUR team play. I watched that high school game on saturday with smu grads and non-smu grads, no one much enjoyed it but we'll take an SMU football on TV versus not having it.

SMU Football: 17-34 2007-2011
Basketball: 53-73
Soccer: 46-21-9 (Clearly doesn't get the credit they deserve)
NewAgeMustange
Varsity

Postby austinponie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 am

Representing Generation X here.
Kenneth Pye requires mentioning.
austinponie
All-American

Postby No Quarter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Greatest generation here, with much respect for Hayden Fry and the Boomers. Very embarrassed and disappointed when football one ended at SMU, even though I had grown up in University Park and heard all my life how well football players were treated.

The DP was the more painful because of the involvement of some of the Greatest and the Boomers. I had a slight acquaintance with some of them and they were heroes to me.

I think there is place for sports, whether as participant or fan, as a part of college life. Having said that I don;t know that the sports in question have to be at the top level. I hope that the next FB coach can change things and that LBs program will prosper. I am afraid though, that it will not be long before SMU fans are looking at DIV II sports programs. I'd say DIV III but the scheduling would be harder.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Millennial here. Class of 2006.

Almost all of my classmates literally couldn't care less about SMU football. There has been a substantial buzz around SMU basketball for the last few years.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PonyKai » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 pm

Class of 2010. People want to - really want to - care about football. But, for obvious reasons, there is no earthly reason for them to do so. And so they don't. At all. There is considerable buzz, even from lazy alumni, about basketball.
PonyKai

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Stlhockeyguy02 wrote:Class of 2010. People want to - really want to - care about football. But, for obvious reasons, there is no earthly reason for them to do so. And so they don't. At all. There is considerable buzz, even from lazy alumni, about basketball.

I think there is a group of us that do yearn for a reason to invest both financially and emotionally in the football program, but the leadership over the last several years have given us absolutely zero incentive to do so. I can remember getting calls and texts around the time of the Arizona State disaster saying that if SMU was serious about football we'd have canned June's sorry [deleted] and found a guy that actually wants to be here and won't actively recruit for another program while still on the payroll. The battered wife syndrome of our leadership is what has kept a large amount of the younger alumni away from Ford Stadium. Well, that and the complete embarrassment this year has turned into.

I said it last year after 5-7 that keeping Jones, even for a year, would set this program back 5 to 7 years. So while it might've been a tough financial move for SMU and the CoC to part ways with June, its going to cost them (and us) a lot more in the long run. This year has basically been 1989 all over again. The next coach is walking into a total disaster. Thanks June and thanks to SMU for the "extension" after last season.
StallionsModelT

Postby skurtn » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Gen X. When I went to SMU, I didn't even realize SMU still had a football team until a friend invited me to a pre-party before we all got on a bus headed to the Cotton Bowl.
skurtn
All-American

Postby dickey1331 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Im a millennial and have no relationship with SMU. Just became a fan randomly.
dickey1331
Junior Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm

dickey1331 wrote:Im a millennial and have no relationship with SMU. Just became a fan randomly.

There are probably less than 50 people like you. I truly appreciate your fandom.
StallionsModelT

Postby BigT3x » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Class of 10.

I do wish there was more young blood on here. The obsession with Pye and the DP is a drag. Why do we have to keep bringing up that stuff? I was a toddler. The current students weren't even born.
BigT3x
All-American

Next

Return to Football