PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Clemson and Ohio State Schedule - Coaching Search

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Clemson and Ohio State Schedule - Coaching Search

Postby Digetydog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm

For better or worse, every coaching rumor has SMU's Top 2 as Chad Morris and Tom Herman

November 29th
- Clemson finishes up its regular season against South Carolina. If we are on the ball and Morris is seriously interested, he should be interviewing in Dallas by Monday, December 1st.
- Ohio finishes up against Michigan. BUT, OSU will have to play in the Big 10 Title game on December 6th. Thus, it appears unlikely that Herman will be able to interview until the 7th.

Bottom Line: If Morris nails the interviews and really wants the job, we have this locked up by the Uconn game. If not, it probably won't be Morris.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Clemson and Ohio State Schedule - Coaching Search

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:08 pm

I am hearing there COULD be an announcement before UConn - which lines up with Clemson info.

People seem to think this is going to be week after this one - if all goes as expected. If true (take with huge grain of salt) it will be like Christmas come early.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:46 pm

This is the most horrid SMU football season I've ever sat through. Maybe the passage of time has healed wounds, but I swear this season seems worse even than 2003.

I can't wait for the new coach to be announced, for the old staff to be swept out of here, and for this god-awful football season to end. Can't come soon enough. Would love to see an announcement before UConn if that's in the cards.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:51 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:This is the most horrid SMU football season I've ever sat through. Maybe the passage of time has healed wounds, but I swear this season seems worse even than 2003.

I can't wait for the new coach to be announced, for the old staff to be swept out of here, and for this god-awful football season to end. Can't come soon enough. Would love to see an announcement before UConn if that's in the cards.

The 2003 season at least had some competitive games. Outside of USF, there really hasn't been a game that we had a shot to win this year.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby gostangs » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:12 pm

ironically ECU was out only other better than feeble showing.
gostangs

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:40 pm

gostangs wrote:ironically ECU was out only other better than feeble showing.

Wasn't the Tulsa game competitive?
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:40 am

The 2003 team would beat this year's team by at least two touchdowns. This is the most overmatched SMU team from a physical standpoint since 1989.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:11 pm

And even after 10 games, I'm still struggle to wrap my brain around how it came to this. I mean, I expected a drop-off (and a drop-off from a 5-7 season is not a good sign), but staring at 0-12 and getting blasted off the field almost every week? (shaking head)
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 pm

a total breakdown in player development especially physically in Weight and Conditioning program would be a good place to start. First sign of trouble 5-6 kids came in at ridiculous weights that meant they literally could not credibly expect to see the field this year at their projected position. The Defensive Coordinator didn't know that a 2 year starter and All-Conference contender decided to come in 30-40 pounds different than projected weight and thought he was going to play a different position. Big Flashing Red Warning Signs
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyswim » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:35 pm

I agree on the wt/conditioning part. There has to be HUGE improvement there.
It is just amazing to return your whole defensive line, 3/4 linebackers on a group that was pretty solid at the end of last season. You would think that all the Dline guys that were 260, would be 275-280, and so on everywhere through the team. Either those guys did not work at what they were being asked to do, or what they have been asked to do was not what they needed.
We have seen guys like Grenier, Thompson(Taylor), T Reed and many others really get bigger and stronger.
That seemed to not have happened the last year. They got worse.
ponyswim
Varsity

Postby PonyKai » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Suan, Carlos and Mel not only should be fired, there ought to be an injunction barring them from traveling within 500 feet of a football facility. Mere presence does damage.
PonyKai

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:57 pm

You know, RGT and Hart had their game faces on at the presser and said all the right things, but something told me that they were/are really angry with June Jones and what he's done to the program. Maybe it was Hart's "I'm not talking" quip after UNT. But if RGT and Hart have any say in it, I can't help but think that June is going to have a VERY hard time ever landing an FBS or FCS gig again.

I know there are those on this board who don't like RGT, but he is a very influential guy in the academic world and has many, many connections. I wouldn't want to burn that bridge. Maybe June should have checked in with Orsini about his current job search prospects before blowing up RGT's program.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Return to Football