PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Croy/Birdwell - KSU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Croy/Birdwell - KSU

Postby Hoofprint » Fri Jun 22, 2001 7:21 pm

As I see it, DTs Lute Croy and Warrie Birdwell are the keys to staying in the game with the Wildcats. They have to plug up the middle, of course, to stuff any inside running by the 'Cats, and generate an interior rush by collapsing the pocket. Doing so will either force the KState QB to throw earlier than planned (be ready, Kevin Garrett) or force the QB to scramble outside -- hopefully into the waiting arms of Kevin Aldridge.

Also, Lute and Warrie need to occupy blockers, allowing the Ponies' super-fast LBs to fly to the ball and make plays. KState doesn't run a lot of schemes where their offensive linemen pull out and run, so the Ponies' defensive line will need to bring 100 percent effort on every play. KState's line is huge and and experienced, so our fellas will be going to war in the trenches.
Hoofprint
All-American

Re: Croy/Birdwell - KSU

Postby graypony » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:16 pm

It won't work with just two tackles. In the heat, we will have to have four. Actually, if you plan to win in Div 1 football, you have to rotate 8 down linemen. Blagg and Post have to come up big at DT, also. Barring injuries, they will log about 35 plays each.

In my mind the biggest factor will be the maturing of our defensive secondary. They cannot give up cheap touchdowns as they did against TCU in last year's final. They should be better, but they need to be alot better.

The second important key is ball possession. We have to move the chains and score points or it will mirror the TCU game: tight until the middle of the 2nd quarter when our defense wears out.

If we can be in the game and catch some turnovers, then who knows. NCarSt had no business being in the game against Texas in an early game a few years back and won on tough defense, big positive turnover advantage, and blocking 2 punts for touchdowns.
graypony
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:29 pm

It has been a while since I have seen graypony on the board.

How is JD? How are workouts going for him this summer?

We are really going to need JD this year and I think he will impress us all. He has a lot of strength and quickness.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:32 pm

We absolutely need a 2-deep rotation on BOTH lines to compete; and we have to improve out turnover ratio (to our opponents). We should see improved play at both the linebacker and secondary positions, and it looks like we might have some frosh/RS frosh who might contribute in those areas.

We better be MUCH improved, because our schedule has us set up for another 1-4/0-5 start if we aren't ready!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Hoofprint » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:47 pm

You're right, I didn't mean to downplay the importance of depth, or more specifically of Chris Post and JD Blagg, as well as any other DT's who work into the rotation this year (Marcus Walker?). I just listed Croy and Birdwell because they're listed as starters -- no disrespect intended to JD, Chris, or the others. We need ALL the DTs to come up huge.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby AuditCat » Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:02 pm

Y'all might be surprised at the complexity of K-State's running game. Our guys pull and get out in front. We have even been know to pull the CENTER, which is not done often, as it takes a very athletic center to pull effectively.

If any of you watched the Cotton Bowl, when we ran it down Tennessee's throats, you saw a great example of our offense.

We really hit on all cylinders, option, power, off-tackle, short passing game, deep passing game.

Bill Snyder's offense is so versatile. We can play smash-mouth like NU, or go verticle like Florida. QBs can be runners like Bishop or Beasely, or pocket-passers, like Chad May and Brian Kavanaugh.

This year's team should be interesting. Probably our best backfield ever, with Scobey and Cartwright. That should help our two young QBs.

I expect Ell Roberson III to be the next Michael Bishop, and then some. I think he will be terrific.

I am not sure on Dunn, but everything I have heard has been great.

For both of them, it will be how quickly they learn the complete playbook and how they develop in reading defenses.

In the game with SMU, it could get interesting. IF they make some mistakes, and SMU capitalizes......who knows? SMU should have some opportunities, but will they be able to do something with those opportunities? We shall see in about 2 months!
AuditCat

Postby MustangFan » Sat Jun 23, 2001 8:22 pm

AuditCat - thanks for the insight. Don't know all the guys on your team, but I do know Scobey is a stud. There's an assistant coach with the Cowboys who has told me he thinks Josh will be a great NFL runner one day. High praise (unless you look at recent Dallas drafts and realize how inept they are in evaluating talent.)

Where does the quarterback battle stand in Manhattan? When he was recruited, I remember reading that Roberson was so talented he might unseat Beasley - and now they're trying to give the job to some JUCO guy? What gives?
MustangFan
All-American

Postby AuditCat » Sat Jun 23, 2001 10:07 pm

MustangFan-

I am a believer in E3. I want KSU to stay with the versatile, running QBs. I think it is essential in the Big 12 with defenses like NU, aTm, OU & CU. You need someone that can make a play when things breakdown.

That is why I expect E3 to be the man. Marc Dunn can move, but not like E3. I would expect Dunn to have a better and more accurate arm, from what I have heard. I have read quotes that it is the best arm in Manhattan since Steve Grogan. Pretty good praise, considering May, Bishop, etc..

The one advantage for Dunn is his maturity. He has been on a Mormon Mission, he is married and he is older, 24 maybe?

E3 is still young, inexperienced and probablly somwhat raw. Until he gets snaps under his belt, he could be erractic. BUT, he HAS been in the system for a while and should have a pretty good grasp on what's goin' on. But can he take that to the field and make plays? Read the defenses? Audible to the right formation and play?

So, there is a lot of unknowns with our QBs. That is SMU's chance, can the Mustangs rattle out inexperienced QBs and make something happen?

That is why we play the game, isn't it? No matter how much we analyze and compare of paper and on film, it doesn't matter unless it happens on Saturday, between the white lines.
AuditCat

Postby Bballer » Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AuditCat:
<B>In the game with SMU, it could get interesting. IF they make some mistakes, and SMU capitalizes......who knows? SMU should have some opportunities, but will they be able to do something with those opportunities? We shall see in about 2 months!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately for SMU, we have lacked the big plays or the play makers. It seemed as though no one made a big play last year outside of the KU game. JFree did have the 63 yard run on Tulane, but on D, we had very few picks. I hope KG and Jonas breakout and a safety breaks out this year. Maybe Rico Harris, maybe Leroy Price, but until we see someone step up and start making some big plays to change a game, we will stay on our course of decent.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Return to Football