PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Which TV would you prefer?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Which TV would you prefer?

Postby Stampede » Sat Jun 23, 2001 12:43 pm

One would think Fox Sports Net or ESPN would eventually realize that the early season SMU - K. State football game will pull many more viewers than the tractor pulls, billiard tournaments or whatever they show on Saturday evening.

My bet is it is on ESPN. Let's not believe that "BS" about ESPN's loyalty to Southern Mississippi. They are just like the BCS leaders (Roy Kramer) who are all about the chase of the $$$$. That being said, ESPN should and, ultimately,...probably will.. want to show ANY season kickoff...between any D-1 universities including the BCA game.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Re: Which TV would you prefer?

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sat Jun 23, 2001 2:30 pm

It should be one ESPN, we need the national coverage. But I think it has been decided, Fox SW.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby SMUguy » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:57 pm

I'd prefer ESPN. Because as a rule, everything in Fox and its regional networks sucks - their football announcers, ther baseball coverage, their camera work, their programming choices (see NASCAR), their hosts on the SW regional report, their mainstream programming during the week - it all sucks. The entire network is awful, but unfortunately they have enough money to buy rights to events I want to see - and therefore have no choice but to put up with their garbage.

Having said that, Fox is better than no TV at all.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby MustangMom » Sat Jun 23, 2001 6:59 pm

At least Fox knows who SMU is - read that ESPN thought SMU was Southern Mississippi - duh. Aren't they supposed to run a sports network??????

------------------
Go Mustangs!!
-MustangMom
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Postby AuditCat » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:30 pm

I believe it will be Fox SW & MW that carry the game.

Word is that ESPN refuses to give up national rights, and will only allow Fox to have regional coverage. Typical ESPN.

There is a general feeling from K-State fans, that ESPN has a bit of a vendetta with K-State and Bill Snyder. This has been going on the last few years. Why do we feel this way?

1. ESPN announcers always taking pop-shots at KSU's schedule. (Sure, our OOC schedule has been weak, but so have others, some top 20 teams have had weaker, yet ESPN ignores that and harps on K-State....)

2. K-State highlights are kept to a minimum, the least of any of the Top 10 teams of recent years. The only exceptions are when games involve NU, OU and UT.

3. ESPN and ABC tend to make misleading comments about K-State, case in point, saying that K-State had agreed to play USM when attaining the waiver to play the BCA game. False. K-State attained the waiver to be able to play in one of the two POSSIBLE games to be put on for the benefit of the BCA. IF playing USM had been a requirement, I doubt if the game with your Mustangs could be taking place....

4. Typical strong-arm tactics by ESPN/ABC, such as they are pulling now, by not releasing the national rights. If the K-State - SMU game is not the match-up they want, and they do not expect to get great ratings, why bother restricting Fox from a national broadcast? If this match-up is SO BAD, who will be watching nationally anyway? The did not get their way (which doesn't happen much) and now they are pouting.

ESPN lost focus on the purpose of the BCA game. It is not for ESPN ratings, it is not so USM can get attention. It is not so that K-State can play another cupcake (as they would say), it is to raise money and awareness for the Black Coaches Association. ESPN should be embarrassed by their conduct in this matter. It is SAD, that The Gazelle Group and the BCA were not able to schedule 2 games for the benefit of the BCA. IMO, it was ESPN's meddling and agenda that kept the parties from achieving their goals of 2 games.

ABC/ESPN have too much say in college football. The NCAA should take a look at this relationship and develop reform. The BcS system is best example. The NCAA should scrap this poor system and develop a playoff. A playoff would make more money, it would crown an undisputed champion, create UNBELIEVABLE interest and sxcitement AND would encourage the very thing ABC/ESPN harp on, stronger, more attractive OOC match-ups. Just like basketball. If an early season loss does not eliminate you from the opportunity to win a championship, more universities would be willing for early season tests.

Sorry for the extended post, I kinda got rolling there....

Later,
AC

[This message has been edited by AuditCat (edited 06-23-2001).]
AuditCat

Postby SMUguy » Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:27 pm

MustangMom - you make a good point. As much as I think ESPN is better than Fox, they should be ashamed for mixing up SMU and Southern Miss.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Return to Football