PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU Coaches

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU Coaches

Postby MustangMom » Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:22 pm

The SMU coaches better get the team fired up for the K-State game. Last year I felt the team was not prepared mentally for most of the games. (They were for Kansas!) Lots of the teams have a former great player talk to the team prior to the game! I know skill and size mean so much, but desire is right up there too!

SMU has a chance in every game - big time opponent or not - that is why there is a word in the dictionary called UPSET.

Many say that SMU does not have a chance - but I say we do. GO MUSTANGS!

I may have rose colored glasses on - but I prefer to think positive - lets get psyhed Mustangs!
Go Mustangs!!<BR>-MustangMom
MustangMom
Junior Varsity

Re: SMU Coaches

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:52 pm

Mom's right (aren't moms always right?) If the coaches go into this game telling the players that KState is a great team, but we're playing the game because it's a great way to make cash for the athletic department, then we're going to lose by 60-70 points. If they approach the game preaching the possibility of upset, get the team slobbering like a bunch of rabid dogs, then maybe, just maybe, we can catch the Wildcats napping or looking ahead, jump to a lead, and then scrape, claw and fight in an attempt to hold on. Are the chances of winning good? Hell no. But let's not defeat ourselves before the game even starts. Everyone starts the season with equal records, coaches. Get our guys believing we can play with anyone. Who knows - they just might surprise you.

Postby AuditCat » Sat Jun 23, 2001 7:53 pm

MustangMom is AWESOME!

That is EXACTLY the attitude needed to turn a program around. A team has to walk out on the field and BELIEVE that they can win.

Case in point, K-State. Bill Snyder worked SO hard to change the attitude at K-State. Part of it WAS scheduling winnable games. But what the "experts" forget to mention is that K-State ALSO had to play the NUs, OUs and CUs, that at that time, were Top 10 teams. The attitude MUST change, the confidence MUST be developed and the work ethic has to be there.

So all you Mustangs out there, listen to MOM! She knows what she is talkin' about!

Now, let's not get hasty and create an upset on August 25th, let's wait until September for that, OK? Image
AuditCat

Postby Bballer » Sun Jun 24, 2001 3:05 am

It is the coaches that need to listen to Mom, not anyone else.

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Corso » Sun Jun 24, 2001 5:04 pm

Aw, come on, AuditCat -- can't you arrange for an upset just to prove MustangMom's logic? When KSU was weak (pre-Snyder), you all would have killed for an upset like the one we'd like to see in Manhattan in August. Now that he has you guys among the nation's elite every year, it's time for you to share the wealth. Think what this could do for the TV ratings of a rematch next year! Do us a favor and tell the Wildcats they don't start their season until the next week. Then clue them in 10 minutes before kickoff. THe element of surprise could be a huge help.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Return to Football