PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fanbase: What's a realistic expectation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fanbase: What's a realistic expectation

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:35 pm

SMU is lowering the cost of season tickets for next season. I don't think its the cost that is keeping people away but the product on the field and the competition once we get into conference play.

We are going to have to get creative. Ticket giveaways, group tickets, youth groups, etc. Whatever it takes. I do think we will see an increase initially from the Chad Morris buzz, but it will be important to see how we do when we bring in the AAC zombie programs.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ender3 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm pretty sure they had both.

I didn't come with my MYF group, I always had season tickets, as my dad was an alum, too... but I really think I remember both.

I don't remember MYF having matching t-shirts for everyone... FCA did. Wasn't it FCA that Chad specifically mentioned was his exposure to SMU as a kid?
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby alyssa » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
alyssa
All-American

Postby 03Mustang » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Look, right now when you get people to a game they love the Boulevard and really want to see a good game, but they generally leave bored and turned off to the whole experience....the result is no one comes back other than diehards and you end up with 10,000 butts in seats for most games if the team is even decent (probably 5,000 last season), and lots that come back just for the Boulevard.

Give people watchable, exciting football that gives them a reason to come back coupled with a great tailgate experience and we'll have the underpinnings of a solid fan base. Very few friends that I take to games ever want to go back unless they are a fan of the opponent as the games simply aren't any fun for them.

We can't draw 30k every game day 1, but we can play better football and give people who do come a reason to be excited and maybe want to come back.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKris89 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:20 pm

I expect SMU football to kick some Effing Arse, that's what I expect!!
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby CoxMustangFan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:SMU is lowering the cost of season tickets for next season.

Is it likely Baylor is going to drop the game and prices are being reflected accordingly?
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby orguy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm

SMU1523 wrote:Houston and SMU are both former SWC schools. Each have a Heisman winner and a pretty strong football tradition. Houston and SMU fit the Big 12 brand much more than Memphis and Cincy. I would argue those schools, over time, will dilute the brand, while SMU and Houston make it stronger. IMO, regionalism is underrated and tv markets are overrated for longevity of a conference.

Hope you are correct but in this modernist age tradition and "fit" often get thrown to the wayside in the name of "maximize profit".
orguy
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:SMU is lowering the cost of season tickets for next season.

Is it likely Baylor is going to drop the game and prices are being reflected accordingly?

If you look at Baylor's OOC schedule for the past several years and for the foreseeable, it is obvious SMU is not the issue, it's a planned strategy of playing creampuffs such as Wofford, LA Monroe, Rice, Buffalo, Sam Houston State, SF Austin and yes, SMU these past couple of seasons only. Their next P5 OOC opponent is DUKE and its 3 years from now. Their OOC schedule that year also includes powerhouses Liberty and UTSA. They also have Duke and UTSA scheduled for 2018.

Future opponents for next 2 years include SMU, Rice, Lamar and Northwestern State.

Don't exactly understand why WE are singled out as the weak link that needs to be replaced. Seems like playing at Ford is tossing your Dallas alum a bone.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMUrf » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:45 pm

I'll be coming up for a few games...haven't been since I graduated (2009).

Perhaps HCCM can leverage Whataburger to do a promotion in our recruiting hot spots; buy a meal - get a ticket. Let's fill up those stands with some SMU good will. JMO.
SMUrf
Junior Varsity

Postby Comet » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:58 pm

SMUrf wrote:I'll be coming up for a few games...haven't been since I graduated (2009).

Perhaps HCCM can leverage Whataburger to do a promotion in our recruiting hot spots; buy a meal - get a ticket. Let's fill up those stands with some SMU good will. JMO.

That would be so cool
Comet
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:58 pm

We have to charge minimum $5 for it to count in attendance figures I believe. Also couldn't be applicable to students in grades 7-12; tough to enforce.
smusic 00

Postby floridianstang » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 am

I'm hoping you still buy tickets to ford and moody and making your donation to the Mustang club, lebanese. If you don't, I have more right to talk about being a real fan than you, troll.
floridianstang
All-American

Postby photopony » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:21 am

I'm hoping for more, but realistically we're looking at 4-8 next year. That won't draw crowds. Maybe a slight attendance increase from what we saw this year due to the HCCM hype.
photopony
Varsity

Postby floridianstang » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am

I don't hate anyone here, and I prefer we find a way to get along. It's futile to hate each other...fellow alumni!

Alright, I'm willing to hug it out. :lol:
floridianstang
All-American

Postby ender3 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:24 am

smusic 00 wrote:We have to charge minimum $5 for it to count in attendance figures I believe. Also couldn't be applicable to students in grades 7-12; tough to enforce.

Personally, I don't care about an attendance figure. How many people attended Baylor/KState? I dunno.

All I know is the seats were full. It looked good on TV. They were loud.

That's what matters.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Football