PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fanbase: What's a realistic expectation

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fanbase: What's a realistic expectation

Postby Morris Code 11 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:18 am

Comet wrote:
footballdad wrote:Same ole', Same ole'

Visiting fans and HCCM curiosity seekers will help fill stadium for Baylor and UNT, apathy for the rest of our conference will see half empty stadium rest of year, whether we're winning or losing. Morris will be somewhat confused/irritated, especially at the packed Blvd, and come out publicly begging for students & alumni to show up to do their part. (to no avail)

I think people here are severely understating how badly June Jones failed at energizing the community.

I completely agree. I have seen Morris more times in person (1) the first week as head coach as an ALUMNI than I did June Jones (zero, outside of football stadium) in my 4+ years of undergrad/grad as a STUDENT. I don't think people really understand how out of touch June was with the student body/community. I stepped onto campus same time June did, and not once did I hear a peep/see him come galvanize the SB from by the time I was done 5/15/13.

There were groups of kids that made the trips down to Baylor, Tech, A&M, TCU just to support the team and were constantly blown out during my time there, constantly getting blown out at home by poor conference teams. Even if we are just competitive, everyone is going to be extremely impressed by the turnout. Morris gets this more than some older alumns I have been reading on this board, which is why he took the job and is so optimistic about it. We've been sleep-walking for 6 years why don't people understand that.
"We're not a hurry-up no-huddle offense, we're a hurry-up no-huddle football team and program. It's gonna start with our secretaries, its gonna resonate with maintenance department, everyone, they're gonna understand what 'tempo' is all about."
Morris Code 11
Scout Team

Postby freqz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:14 pm

photopony wrote:I'm hoping for more, but realistically we're looking at 4-8 next year. That won't draw crowds. Maybe a slight attendance increase from what we saw this year due to the HCCM hype.

I bet those losses 8 won't average 43-10 like this year: they should be, at least, a little more competitive with a few points scored which is A LOT more fun that watching another 50 something-nearly nothing humiliation.
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Realistic in the AAC? If we become a winning program maybe half the stadium fills up with our fans actually in attendance including the band and the student section + whatever the visitors bring.

Otherwise, we have to bring in regional P5 rivals (TCU, Baylor, A&M, Okie State) and an early season UNT for OOC in order to pack the place. I am curious to know how much money the school is making from selling tickets behind the glass. Seems as if I remember hearing that those seats are always sold out despite the fact that few show up for many of the games. I sit behind the glass and there are excellent seats near me that I have never seen occupied by the actual ticket holders.

For many years we had an additional four seats near the 35 yard line that usually cant be given away. (We tried to give them to families who wouldn't usually attend an SMU game).
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby GiddyUp » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Stallion wrote:I remember Methodist Youth Fellowship Day (MYF) was a big deal with thousands in the End Zone. Don't remember SMU having FCA Day

Used to have FCA day all the time in the 2000's. I think we messed up as usual and they didn't return.
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smusic 00 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:19 am

Morris Code 11 wrote:
Comet wrote:
footballdad wrote:Same ole', Same ole'

Visiting fans and HCCM curiosity seekers will help fill stadium for Baylor and UNT, apathy for the rest of our conference will see half empty stadium rest of year, whether we're winning or losing. Morris will be somewhat confused/irritated, especially at the packed Blvd, and come out publicly begging for students & alumni to show up to do their part. (to no avail)

I think people here are severely understating how badly June Jones failed at energizing the community.

I completely agree. I have seen Morris more times in person (1) the first week as head coach as an ALUMNI than I did June Jones (zero, outside of football stadium) in my 4+ years of undergrad/grad as a STUDENT. I don't think people really understand how out of touch June was with the student body/community. I stepped onto campus same time June did, and not once did I hear a peep/see him come galvanize the SB from by the time I was done 5/15/13.

There were groups of kids that made the trips down to Baylor, Tech, A&M, TCU just to support the team and were constantly blown out during my time there, constantly getting blown out at home by poor conference teams. Even if we are just competitive, everyone is going to be extremely impressed by the turnout. Morris gets this more than some older alumns I have been reading on this board, which is why he took the job and is so optimistic about it. We've been sleep-walking for 6 years why don't people understand that.

Way more than 6 years, believe me (us). And we get it, just like HCCM.
smusic 00

Postby Morris Code 11 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:00 am

smusic 00 wrote:
Morris Code 11 wrote:

Way more than 6 years, believe me (us). And we get it, just like HCCM.

Haha, very true. That, I can't appreciate as much as you. Can't wait for next year and we can put this all behind.
"We're not a hurry-up no-huddle offense, we're a hurry-up no-huddle football team and program. It's gonna start with our secretaries, its gonna resonate with maintenance department, everyone, they're gonna understand what 'tempo' is all about."
Morris Code 11
Scout Team

Postby Mountain Mustang » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Doesn't all of this local recruiting help attendance too? Parents/families/friends of local athletes are going to have a lot easier time getting to the game and have a lot more interest in the team right? Would HCCM be able to make tickets available to local high school coaches to give to players?

I have to believe that recruiting locally is going to help in so many ways and really help SMU become relevant again in the metroplex.
Here's to those that wish us well and all the rest can go to hell!!!
Mountain Mustang
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Didn't really move the needle when PB had a roster full of 150 mile radius guys
RGV Pony

Postby PonyKai » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 am

RGV Pony wrote:Didn't really move the needle when PB had a roster full of 150 mile radius guys

No, it did not. Although (small sample size) that Tech home opener in '07 was a nice tee up. Full stadium, students jacked up, etc. Unfortunately, it was another prime example of SMU football teeing up its fan base for an other-worldly atomic foot to the groin, which sucks the life out of everyone.
PonyKai

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 am

Man, I was so pumped for that labor day game. Couldn't sleep and all that. Then we saw Crabtrees coming out party. Just like we saw the Woods kid coming out party. And Manziels coming out party. And... Well anyway.

A couple years before when the game was actually closer (was it the PB vs Leach confrontation?) was a very good crowd too.
RGV Pony

Postby PonyKai » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:28 am

Boy, for that '07 Tech game, all of the students were really, really pumped up. And then it's not that we lost, but that we lost in the most depressingly SMU way possible. Coming off of a 6-6 season with JW as a Junior, finally building some momentum, and the chance to knock off a Big 12 program at home....

and a complete and total disaster. Kind of like all of June's games against Big 12/Former SWC foes. Completely drains the energy out of everyone.

"All out."
PonyKai

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:37 am

Aside from the Tech game last season that 2007 game might be the most let down I've ever been as an SMU fan. I mean, generally speaking expectations haven't been very high during my fandom...
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby freqz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:46 am

03Mustang wrote:Aside from the Tech game last season that 2007 game might be the most let down I've ever been as an SMU fan. I mean, generally speaking expectations haven't been very high during my fandom...

TCU '97. :roll:
Texas bites. Baylor sucks. As it was in the beginning, is now, and evermore shall be. Amen.
freqz
Junior Varsity

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:55 am

The depressing losses to former SWC teams year after year is what has destroyed our fan base. June never understood how important those games were (at least PB got the SWC thing), and his preseason approach just didn't work.

As others have said, it wasn't just losing, but losing where the coaches and players were just trying to get through the game rather than win it.

The A and M game at Kyle Field where we had legitimate expectations from the team was a giant let down when fans had a good showing is the perfect example of this failure. I went and the game was over in the first quarter. The next time we played them down there, I didn't bother going cause I kew what I was in for - and low and behold - I was right. We got killed and embarrassed.

Lastly, what's worse than having high expectations and the team blowing it, is having low expectation and knowing the team is going to get killed. Why bother to drive to an away game to get embarrassed and endure the ridicule of our former conference mates then driving back all angry and
P-Oed for the rest of the day.

I think our fans would endure losses to A and M, Baylor, Tech, and TCU (not NTSU), if SMU is competitive, physical, disciplined, and look like they want to win the game.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:22 am

One of the better, most spot on posts in some time, Treadway
RGV Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football