PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Big 12

Postby Pony Boss » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:31 am

EastStang wrote:Part of it obviously is cable systems. Like the B1G has its own network. Adding SMU and UH or Rice, would put the B1G as a must carry in Dallas and Houston TV networks. Also, if the Big XII chooses to add say Cincy that would be considered an act of war by the B1G by invading Ohio. As these conferences create their own networks, Dallas and Houston (#4 and #8 in TV sets) becomes something worth adding. Just adding those two markets adds $4 Million to the B1G pocket book every month. That's $48 Million per year. The Big XII already has those markets as does the SEC. But if the P12, B1G, or ACC want network growth into Texas, SMU and UH/Rice are candidates.

That is one thing going for us, but we would be a drag on Big Ten/Pac 12/ACC conference RPI. It is pretty bad already and we would make it worse.

Need to fix that before thinking about moving up to a better conference.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Re: Big 12

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 am

If memory serves (and I've slept since then), when the Ponies played at Indiana I watched the game on the BIG network from my couch in Fort Worth. Its the one and only time I can remember ever watching that channel, and I certainly did not request it as part of my U-Verse package. Its just there. So I question whether it is necessary for the BIG to add a school like SMU to penetrate the DFW TV market.

Don't mean to be a downer. . . just not sure I see it since the BIG is already here.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football