PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Big 12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Big 12

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:09 pm

It aggravates me so that the four Texas schools are so selfish that they won't allow SMU and Houston in their club. Looking at the map in the DMN today, the obvious choices for expansion should be SMU, UH, Cincinnati and Memphis. It certainly doesn't hurt the league in Bball and look at the success of TCU, Baylor in football with the right coach and their attendance at games. I know, I know it will "never" happen but it is a shame!
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Re: Big 12

Postby StallionsModelT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm

If Texas could turn back the clock they'd have gone with BYU and WVU instead of TCU/WVU. They do not want another Texas school to compete with but underestimated TCU's ability to compete right away.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:23 pm

To be fair, we've done nothing to warrant a Big 12 invite over the past quarter century.

If Chad Morris can have us competing for AAC titles in 2-3 years, we draw good crowds to Ford (25K+) consistently and the basketball program continues its upward trajectory and makes some tourney runs that may change. Fortunately for us it looks like the Big 12 is standing pat right now
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby leopold » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:47 pm

There's a difference between being greedy and smart. If SMU had made any attempt to compete in any major athletics after the DP we might have been in a different place. It's been our own fault.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:21 pm

AusTxPony wrote:It certainly doesn't hurt the league in Bball and look at the success of TCU, Baylor in football with the right coach and their attendance at games. I know, I know it will "never" happen but it is a shame!

TCU and Baylor's success is why Texas will never let SMU in. They are tired of getting their [deleted] kicked by private schools they feel should never beat them. In the eyes of a Texas fan, losing to Baylor is like us losing to UNT.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:47 pm

we need to stop thinking about the big 12 and set our sights on a better conference.
Nacho

Postby ericdickerson4life » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:48 pm

As a UT buddy says, "they need to get in line and know their place".
ericdickerson4life
Heisman

Postby floridianstang » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Nacho wrote:we need to stop thinking about the big 12 and set our sights on a better conference.

And work towards it. Get everyone you know to buy season tickets and invite friends to come with you
floridianstang
All-American

Postby MV pony » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:20 pm

leopold wrote:There's a difference between being greedy and smart. If SMU had made any attempt to compete in any major athletics after the DP we might have been in a different place. It's been our own fault.

SMU is 20 years behind TCU and that coincides with RGT's first year at SMU. Saw somewhere that his salary was about $2.8 million in 2008. I think JJ learned from RGT.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:27 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:If Texas could turn back the clock they'd have gone with BYU and WVU instead of TCU/WVU. They do not want another Texas school to compete with but underestimated TCU's ability to compete right away.

So I have some connections with some substantial UT people and trust me they are not worried about TCU in the long term or short term. What they tell me is TCU had enough success that their includsion wasn't going to be received by poll voters as weakening the conference so it wouldn't hurt thier chances for winning BCS bowl spots or now playoff spots but that they are not concerned about TCU at all actually challenging them over time. ITO TCU is benefiting from a good coach and UT being down because of some lazyness on Mack's part the last few years. They are 100% certain that either a) Texas will get the act together and reassert itself and/or at some point Patterson will leave and TCU will fall back down. They basically think TCU is the same as Texas Tech under Leach. They will have some success but ultimately they cannot compete against them over time. In their mind the conference will always be Texas and OU fighting for top dog with a few other decent teams that help promote that Texas and OU should be considered at the top of college football when they win the big 12.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:If Texas could turn back the clock they'd have gone with BYU and WVU instead of TCU/WVU. They do not want another Texas school to compete with but underestimated TCU's ability to compete right away.

So I have some connections with some substantial UT people and trust me they are not worried about TCU in the long term or short term. What they tell me is TCU had enough success that their includsion wasn't going to be received by poll voters as weakening the conference so it wouldn't hurt thier chances for winning BCS bowl spots or now playoff spots but that they are not concerned about TCU at all actually challenging them over time. ITO TCU is benefiting from a good coach and UT being down because of some lazyness on Mack's part the last few years. They are 100% certain that either a) Texas will get the act together and reassert itself and/or at some point Patterson will leave and TCU will fall back down. They basically think TCU is the same as Texas Tech under Leach. They will have some success but ultimately they cannot compete against them over time. In their mind the conference will always be Texas and OU fighting for top dog with a few other decent teams that help promote that Texas and OU should be considered at the top of college football when they win the big 12.

This is exactly what the Texas Exes that I run around with tell me and some of them are relatively big cigars with ties to the athletic department. And I suspect that they are right. TCU and WVU are not going to compete with UT in the long run unless the Horns become worse at developing talent than they already are. Give Patterson UT's roster and he goes 11-1 or 12-0.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUrf » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Pony_Law wrote:So I have some connections with some substantial UT people

Admitting it is the first step. :)

My connections with UT power brokers is minimal, but the same attitude exists among the lower-ranking boosters.
SMUrf
Junior Varsity

Postby Dutch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Topper wrote:Give Patterson UT's roster and he goes 11-1 or 12-0.

uhhh, he did that w/ TCU's roster this year. and undefeated in 2010 (w/ rose bowl win)
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:59 pm

SMU has done absolutely nothing to deserve admittance into the Big 12, even if Texas would never allow us in to begin with.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:22 pm

SMU still mentioned but there's no chance......

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleg ... ansion.ece
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Football