PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Breaking: Tom Herman to Houston

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Breaking: Tom Herman to Houston

Postby NTXCoog » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:51 pm

ojaipony wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:
ojaipony wrote:It's Houston. If we can't beat them, we should shut it down. We should kill them in recruiting every year and on the field also of course.

10-19-1. Post DP 3-14-1. To quote Chuck D: "Shut 'em down!"

Yes, any moron can look up stats (not calling you one, just saying). And I'm happy you are proud of your alma mater's football success against SMU.

My standard for my alma mater is much higher. We should be a top 10 recognizable college sports brand and be competing for national championships in revenue sports. Stanford is my standard. UH isn't really relevant. Just my opinion/perspective.

It's good to have big goals, but you might want to try for some smaller, more achievable goals first. If you're going to be top 10 in football, you first might want to beat middle of the pack schools like UH on a consistent basis. If you can't beat an irrelevant team like Houston consistently, you're not going to reach your loftier goals.

And I know when you say top 10 sports brand, you mean basketball too. UH's really bad basketball team managed to beat SMU last year in the AAC tournament last year contributing to SMU being left out of the NCAA tournament.

UH may be irrelevant to you, but we've definitely had an impact on your sports programs.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:00 pm

No need to brag about it on SMU's board. UH hoops will have a very tough time this year. Hopefully, for UH, this is like Larry Brown's first year. "Get your licks in while you can."
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:19 pm

"Should" not "is" or even "will".
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyKai » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:36 pm

While not excusing our football team's, ahem, difficulties, and UH's excellent record since 89, it is simply tough to beat the same school three times in a single basketball season. That's tough. Slam us for losing to USF on the road. What a turd that was.
PonyKai

Postby tristatecoog » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:48 pm

ojaipony wrote:"Should" not "is" or even "will".

Should be like LB's first year? If that was the reference, the second year is the bigger question. Larry's first year was pretty bad and the Ponies lost to UH both times. I specifically remember in the post-game home loss that Larry said teams better get their licks in now. So true. The bench was stocked with transfers and superior freshman talent was also on its way.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU 86 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:54 pm

SMU and Houston have hired good coaches. Herman has more talent to work with than Morris imo. Montgomery probably has more talent to work with than Morris.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby sbsmith » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:41 pm

SMU 86 wrote:SMU and Houston have hired good coaches. Herman has more talent to work with than Morris imo. Montgomery probably has more talent to work with than Morris.

All true
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 pm

But
Go back to the 5-6 qualities that SMU's AD said he was looking for in a Head Coach
I don't think that was a typical load of PR [deleted]
I think Morris checked off each one of those qualities-better than these other guys
I like all 3 candidates but Morris fit better than all the rest

Offensive X and O's Hot-Shot
Leadership and vision
Enthusiastic, aggressive personality
Contacts with Texas High School Coaching fraternity for recruiting and selecting young, aggressive coaching staff
Inspires enthusiasm in alumni, fans, student body and fanbase to unite the SMU community

I think our guy not only checks off Quality No. 1 -he is a better choice for the other qualities SMU was looking for and absolutely needs to turn this program around. SMU got the best guy for this job at a small private school in Dallas, Texas. The other guys didn't check off all those qualities
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Stallion wrote:But
Go back to the 5-6 qualities that SMU's AD said he was looking for in a Head Coach
I don't think that was a typical load of PR [deleted]
I think Morris checked off each one of those qualities-better than these other guys
I like all 3 candidates but Morris fit better than all the rest

Offensive X and O's Hot-Shot
Leadership and vision
Enthusiastic, aggressive personality
Contacts with Texas High School Coaching fraternity for recruiting and selecting young, aggressive coaching staff
Inspires enthusiasm in alumni, fans, student body and fanbase to unite the SMU community

I think our guy not only checks off Quality No. 1 -he is a better choice for the other qualities SMU was looking for and absolutely needs to turn this program around. SMU got the best guy for this job at a small private school in Dallas, Texas. The other guys didn't check off all those qualities

Spot on. IMHO, Coach Morris brings us more that coaching creds. Our challenge is greater and more unique. Despite our long and deep college football tradition, we have barely survived a full generation of student apathy, uncompetitive programs and a disconnect from our roots in Texas Football. Morris will fully engage the student body, which is desperately needed, field an exciting brand of #Uptempo football and #lockarms with Dallas and Texas HS football coaches and players.

All of the above will bring more than excitement. SMU will become relevant and a desirable destination for recruits and fans. This is the transformational choice that surprisingly became available and what is required to envision and realize this turnaround.

Pony Up!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby 03Mustang » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Sounds like he won't take over until after the playoff....could really be a problem for recruiting.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:47 pm

The next month is really either a Dead/Quiet Period so recruiting will be somewhat limited. During some of these periods Coaches can still contact recruits but can't recruit off campus or host recruits. Might as well have him coach Ohio St. for the national publicity and spend spare time hiring coaches and recruiting by phone/email for UH instead of OSU during his spare time. Several coaches have successfully used that strategy. Thankfully Morris had more time to get his foot in the door. Its going to be a long month of waiting
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:27 pm

good hire by UH. Really exciting for the conference and our division. I hope that in a couple years there are some really good teams in the aac west lighting up scoreboards on nat'l tv and going head to head in recruiting battles (dont forget memphis either). just gotta be ready to compete!
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:23 am

I really don't know wh someone would want to be at Houston, except for the fact Sumlin left Houston for a&m, and this might be a precedent
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby BleedSMUPride » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:37 am

you also forgot that Briles was there before he went to Baylor.

UH is a very underrated football program. They get a lot of solid recruits from the Houston area and produce QB's like none other. They had Case Keenum who broke all the passing records and before that they had Kevin Kolb. John O'korn was solid his freshaman year but struggled last year before being benched.

Herman should have a lot to work with and I'm interested to see if he tries to work with O'korn or whether he goes out and tries to get a 3 or 4 star dual-threat QB like we are.
BleedSMUPride
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:55 am

BleedSMUPride wrote:you also forgot that Briles was there before he went to Baylor.

UH is a very underrated football program. They get a lot of solid recruits from the Houston area and produce QB's like none other. They had Case Keenum who broke all the passing records and before that they had Kevin Kolb. John O'korn was solid his freshaman year but struggled last year before being benched.

Herman should have a lot to work with and I'm interested to see if he tries to work with O'korn or whether he goes out and tries to get a 3 or 4 star dual-threat QB like we are.

The QB from John Tyler they have now is a good dual threat QB.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

PreviousNext

Return to Football