PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is TCU trying to replace SMU in their OOC?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is TCU trying to replace SMU in their OOC?

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:That won't happen. That series was created as a contingency against TCU dropping us. They are a local program that will bring fans and help with attendance. UNT will be our new TCU.

I have to totally disagree with you there. If that is the case we need to drop football now. They don't travel that well and no one at SMU cares at all about playing UNT. See how many SMU fans traveled to Denton this season, and that was before we knew how bad things were about to become. We have a hundred years of tradition with TCU. That is and will always be a rivalry.

UNT will bring around 5K to Ford next year. That's going to be better than every other opponent except Baylor (if they don't drop us too). This is the new reality we are faced with.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:58 pm

I think that is a very big assumption considering they didn't have 5,000 total at their last couple of home games this season. Of the Texas schools not in our conference I'd say UNT would only bring more people to Ford than Rice, and maybe UTEP. I honestly don't see the benefit of playing them.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby smusportspage » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Wow, have you forgotten how man UTEP fans showed up to Ford when they came to Dallas. Easily more then UNT or Rice. Same for basketball.
Last edited by smusportspage on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby West Coast Johnny » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Reality for TCU is they will look to improve strength of OOC schedule. I would rather drop FCS than SMU.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby 03Mustang » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:16 pm

SMU won't be as much of a drain on the schedule going forward...I agree, they should drop the FCS team first. I think we'll be on there, along with another G5 team and probably one stronger P5 team in most years.

I don't like the idea of ending the series, no matter what. There are so few "rivalry" games left, why would anyone want to kill one more. This still has a chance to be a really great one if we get our act together under Morris.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:25 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:That won't happen. That series was created as a contingency against TCU dropping us. They are a local program that will bring fans and help with attendance. UNT will be our new TCU.

I have to totally disagree with you there. If that is the case we need to drop football now. They don't travel that well and no one at SMU cares at all about playing UNT. See how many SMU fans traveled to Denton this season, and that was before we knew how bad things were about to become. We have a hundred years of tradition with TCU. That is and will always be a rivalry.

UNT's attendance was pretty lackluster at the SMU game as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Pony Boss » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 pm

They aren't dropping SMU at all. I don't see that rivalry ever being cancelled (it's a Dallas vs Fort Worth thing..). They are planning to schedule some Pac/ACC teams for their OOC games after their series with Cal.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby Frog Barrister » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:52 am

That P12 series is supposedly for 2022-2023. If TCU wants to upgrade the ooc then drop the FCS game for somebody. Until that happens, SMU isn't the "problem" with our SOS.
Frog Barrister
Junior Varsity

Postby dr rc » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 am

PonySnob wrote:Wouldn't mind if we dropped

The Debbie Downer in me thinks the UNT series was set up to eventually replace a TCU that will no longer be willing to do a home and home with SMU. :|
dr rc
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 am

The UNT series was set up because it makes sense.
ponyboy

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:31 am

Frog Barrister wrote:That P12 series is supposedly for 2022-2023. If TCU wants to upgrade the ooc then drop the FCS game for somebody. Until that happens, SMU isn't the "problem" with our SOS.

You should post more FB. Your posts on KF are just as fair and balanced (at least ones I've read). A fan trade may be in the works...
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby Frog Barrister » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:00 pm

CoxMustangFan wrote:
Frog Barrister wrote:That P12 series is supposedly for 2022-2023. If TCU wants to upgrade the ooc then drop the FCS game for somebody. Until that happens, SMU isn't the "problem" with our SOS.

You should post more FB. Your posts on KF are just as fair and balanced (at least ones I've read). A fan trade may be in the works...

Thanks. I no longer post on KF.c as Frog Barrister. That site is largely crap. I prefer www.thefroghorn.com now.

I like the tradition and rivalry of playing SMU. Think it'd be cool if both teams wore their home uniforms for the games, SMU in blue of course. Maybe one day things will change to where playing SMU no longer makes sense, but it's not even a debate worth having from my perspective as long as TCU is still scheduling FCS teams.

And great HC hire. I'm looking forward to the improved competition and the rivalry heating back up.
Frog Barrister
Junior Varsity

Postby Cardinal Puff » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:41 pm

While I can remember when North Texas and TCU were pretty much tune up games for the ponies, I think it makes financial and recruiting sense to keep them on the schedule. We avoid big travel costs and coaches can work that week as if we had a home game. At some point the savings on travel and time management need to be factored.
Cardinal Puff
Varsity

Postby geno » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Frog Barrister wrote:
CoxMustangFan wrote:

Thanks. I no longer post on KF.c as Frog Barrister. That site is largely crap. I prefer http://www.thefroghorn.com now.

I like the tradition and rivalry of playing SMU. Think it'd be cool if both teams wore their home uniforms for the games, SMU in blue of course. Maybe one day things will change to where playing SMU no longer makes sense, but it's not even a debate worth having from my perspective as long as TCU is still scheduling FCS teams.

And great HC hire. I'm looking forward to the improved competition and the rivalry heating back up.

Time to 'fess up, Barrister. You obviously have an "interest" in the new foghorn.com. As a Barrister, full disclosure should be familiar to you.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Would be very short sighted, and self centered of them :!:

Wish posters wouldn't seem like TROLLS by posting INQUIRER like inflammatory
QUESTIONS on here just to generate attention to themselves :!: :!: :!:

There's a lot of other sports that need the SMU TCU rivalry with close transportation costs, and
one AD probably doesn't want to tick off the other one for scheduling reasons :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football