PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Does SMU Outplay it's Recruiting?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Does SMU Outplay it's Recruiting?

Postby RednBlue11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:22 pm

yes...yes, we do actually....as hard as that is to believe.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-wh ... 1640831522

"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Does SMU Outplay it's Recruiting?

Postby RednBlue11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:23 pm

Where we need to go ASAP.

RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:31 pm

yes but we moved substantially south and back to the norm this year-plus what bothers me about this type of graph is that you got to understand there is about a 3-4 year lag between recruiting and on field performance. Its interesting though with that caveat
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RednBlue11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:36 pm

if Chad is worth a dam you'll see the results improve dramatically halfway through year 2...above w/e you see him bring to the table in coaching
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:38 pm

Stallion wrote:yes but we moved substantially south and back to the norm this year-plus what bothers me about this type of graph is that you got to understand there is about a 3-4 year lag between recruiting and on field performance. Its interesting though with that caveat

If I understand correctly, for each year they compared the average of the previous 5 years of recruiting with that year's on field performance so I think they addressed your issue about the lag fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:43 pm

Certainly arbitrary to some degree, but interesting nonetheless.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
Stallion wrote:yes but we moved substantially south and back to the norm this year-plus what bothers me about this type of graph is that you got to understand there is about a 3-4 year lag between recruiting and on field performance. Its interesting though with that caveat

If I understand correctly, for each year they compared the average of the previous 5 years of recruiting with that year's on field performance so I think they addressed your issue about the lag fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it really doesn't. You could a have a drastic infusion or exodus of players or a change in coaching staff that would really throw that off. Plus 5 years indicates a redshirt and remaining on campus. Consider the SEC where each year the First Team All Conference on Offense and Defense enters NFL Undergraduate Draft. Does Alabama even bother playing Seniors-just kidding but its has its imperfections.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby couch 'em » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:12 pm

Still shows that the line of best aligns closely to the talent/performance line. Once again this shows that recruiting matters and June diamond in rough recruiting is garbage. PONYBOY.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Right there are no recruiting powerhouses at the bottom of the graph and almost all schools at top of the graph are perennial recruiting powerhouse. Another problem with this graph is the competition in the SEC West is not comparable to the Sun Belt. Recruiting is comparable to your competition. See Arkansas this year. Double digit SEC West losing streak against team that mostly have wiped the floor with Arkansas in recruiting despite the fact that they would wipe the floor with the champions of just about all G5 conferences

Stallion

Postby Digetydog » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 pm

RednBlue11 wrote:Where we need to go ASAP.

Great Find.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:00 am

Stallion wrote:Right there are no recruiting powerhouses at the bottom of the graph and almost all schools at top of the graph are perennial recruiting powerhouse. Another problem with this graph is the competition in the SEC West is not comparable to the Sun Belt. Recruiting is comparable to your competition. See Arkansas this year. Double digit SEC West losing streak against team that mostly have wiped the floor with Arkansas in recruiting despite the fact that they would wipe the floor with the champions of just about all G5 conferences

Hence why recruiting rank is on one axis and team rank is on the other axis
CalallenStang

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:07 am

couch 'em wrote:Still shows that the line of best aligns closely to the talent/performance line. Once again this shows that recruiting matters and June diamond in rough recruiting is garbage. PONYBOY.

You apparently desperately need a straw man because you've now mentioned my name a very odd number of times. I've never defended JJ's recruiting methods. I've defended his results on the field.

Having the most talented players is important. There ARE legitimate arguments out there as to just HOW important this one side of the coin is, though. The other side of the coin is coaching, scheme, culture. Some guys can just do more with less, or in JJ's case with weird. TCU's been the perfect example of this. They're not recruiting anywhere near the level they play.

Anyway, if hate makes you feel better, then hate. But let me know when you want an actual conversation.

Oh, and for the record, I think Chad Morris is absolutely going to kill it at SMU. Couldn't be more happy that he his here.
ponyboy

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 am

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Certainly arbitrary to some degree, but interesting nonetheless.

Very arbitrary.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:40 am

RednBlue11 wrote:if Chad is worth a dam you'll see the results improve dramatically halfway through year 2...above w/e you see him bring to the table in coaching

Wrong, it will tale 3 recruiting classes to get on track Corso.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:46 am

RednBlue11 wrote:yes...yes, we do actually....as hard as that is to believe.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-wh ... 1640831522

No we really don't as seen by this year. That chart was looking a stars and not offers. I know you were a June supporter so I see why you would post this. If they took a look at offer it would have aligned differently. It will take Morris 3 or 4 recruiting classes. People that were not drinking the June kool-aid could see what happened this year coming a mile away.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Next

Return to Football