PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Does SMU Outplay it's Recruiting?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Does SMU Outplay it's Recruiting?

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:47 am

RednBlue11 wrote:yes...yes, we do actually....as hard as that is to believe.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/chart-wh ... 1640831522

No, we really don't as seen by this year. That chart was looking a stars and not offers. I know you were a June supporter so I see why you would post this. If they took a look at offer it would have aligned differently. It will take Morris 3 or 4 recruiting classes. People that were not drinking the June kool-aid could see what happened this year coming a mile away. 37 point loss to a bad UNT team. We paid the price for bad recruiting this year.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Does SMU Outplay it's Recruiting?

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:48 am

You can always rely on rebel10 to know the true reason someone posts or says something.

Also, If they looked at offers then most likely SMU would move to the left but since they would stay the same vertically it would make it seem June had coached them up more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:57 am

Bottom line is that the June support want to try to put Morris in a situation where if half way through year 2 they don't see a "dramatic improvement" then somehow Morris is not worth a "dam_" which just isn't right.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PerunaPunch » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 am

Stallion wrote:you got to understand there is about a 3-4 year lag between recruiting and on field performance.

Correct. The 3-4 year lag time correlates our current suckiness to June's wanting to jump ship for ASU. Evidence being the very few # of impact seniors graduating this year.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 am

Wow...thanks for clearing this all up for me. I thought he posted this as a sort of catharsis...the sad acceptance of the fact that no matter how bad we played, our recruiting we even worse than that. Basically, a realization that we sucked on the field worse than almost anyone in history...yet those numbers still exceeded how bad we sucked in recruiting.

Thanks for informing me that instead, this post was a small part of a bigger plan orchestrated by evil JJ traitors who have infiltrated your thoughts and are trying to reprogram your brain to love the tiki.

To say a JJ coached (loose term there) team outperformed its recruiting on the field is not some overt statement of support for JJ and what he did. It is a slap in the face of a coach and program that allowed on field mediocrity to overshadow what proved to be not a lack of recruiting, but an active attempt to subvert what is the concept of recruiting. It is an incitement of the administration, athletic department, and the coaching staff.

But really, who cares. Let's see what this class looks like in February and how they play in September. That is our baseline, and we will go from there.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 am

Rebel10 wrote:Bottom line is that the June support want to try to put Morris in a situation where if half way through year 2 they don't see a "dramatic improvement" then somehow Morris is not worth a "dam_" which just isn't right.

Who are the people that you consider to be the June support? I know it would help me and probably others as you seem to be able to sniff them out even from the most innocuous posts. Also, please post a link to where someone credible (not an obvious troll) said that if we do not see "dramatic improvement" by halfway through year 2 then Morris is not worth a damn. You are like Joe McCarthy except you think there is a June supporter behind every other post.

Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKris89 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:36 am

Edit: my post made absolutely no sense!
Last edited by PonyKris89 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:55 am

this was based on study ending with 2013 season-when you add in 2014 numbers we didn't outplay anything
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Grant Carter » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:00 pm

This is one of those cases where someone posted an interesting chart with a post title sure to get people fired up. If it was posted with the title "interesting chart" then people would just be talking about the chart.

Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ghost » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:47 pm

If he is as good as we think I think Morris will have us very competitive in the conference within 2 years and hopefully competing better against the nonconference D1 schools to where we are getting some upsets every few years. The problem is that BU, TCU are right up there with ags and ut now but Texas is a growing state so if SMU improves, maybe they will be so good as to form a new conference. How does the SWC sound or the TEXAS Conference? WE could call our conference champ World Champions. Set our own standards. Isn't Texas bigger than almost the entire SEC combined?
ghost
All-American

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm

ghost wrote:The problem is that BU, TCU are right up there with ags and ut now but Texas is a growing state so if SMU improves, maybe they will be so good as to form a new conference. How does the SWC sound or the TEXAS Conference? WE could call our conference champ World Champions. Set our own standards. Isn't Texas bigger than almost the entire SEC combined?

:lol:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby PonyKris89 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:16 am

Cool graph.

So by my count, SMU's actual on field performance is better than 18 schools that recruit BETTER than SMU.

and SMU is out performed on field by 4 schools that lag behind SMU in recruiting.

More Confirmation of everything we knew, although I believe it definitely ranks SMU on field too high
in relation with some schools, e.g. Duke, Kentucky to name a couple .

Thanks for posting!
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 am

Whether this graph is spot on reliable or not, it does get one thing right. TCU is your story. Boise is your story. They consistently outperform their recruiting. As important as they are, jimmies and joes are not the end all. Coaching, culture, scheme are vital as well.
ponyboy

Postby couch 'em » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:22 am

If you guys would read the article you'll see that it isn't useful to compare individual teams. The rivals recruiting rankings wouldn't (I believe) include transfers, and the team ranks are Massey rankings which have their own flaw.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 am

Probably true that the graph has its material flaws. But is not TCU outperforming its recruiting by any conceivable measure? Though talent is very, very important, the situation is much more complex than simply talent.
ponyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Football