PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TCU #1 Academically? What does this say...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TCU #1 Academically? What does this say...

Postby geno » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Just posted. According to Time Magazine, of the final top 25 teams in the NCAA Div. I football rankings, TCU came in at #1 Academically. Swallow hard! Here's the link.

http://time.com/3640...E: Top Stories)
Last edited by geno on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geno
Junior Varsity

Re: TCU #1 Academically? What does this say...

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Fix your link
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby geno » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 pm

sbsmith wrote:Fix your link

Can't fix it! It's on Time Magazine sports section,though. (I didn't rank high enough academically to know how to fix it.)
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Why swallow? Not surprising considering the top 25 are generally [deleted] schools.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:39 pm

geno wrote:
Can't fix it! It's on Time Magazine sports section,though. (I didn't rank high enough academically to know how to fix it.)

http://time.com/3640357/college-footbal ... -academic/
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby sbsmith » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 pm

This list has to be some kind of troll job. I mean USC at 25 :lol:

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:43 pm

It's based entirely on graduation rate, so take that for what it's worth. It gives the same credit for a BA in Espresso Studies as a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

Also, I don't know how much stock you can put in it when the rep from the group that produced the rankings can't count to 100.

Of the four playoff teams — Alabama, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State — the defending champion Seminoles have the lowest GSR, at 65%. “It’s super troubling,” says Holt. “Florida State is a very good football school. But what’s going on here with the other 45% of the players?”
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:49 pm

MustangStealth wrote:It's based entirely on graduation rate, so take that for what it's worth. It gives the same credit for a BA in Espresso Studies as a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

Also, I don't know how much stock you can put in it when the rep from the group that produced the rankings can't count to 100.

Of the four playoff teams — Alabama, Oregon, Florida State and Ohio State — the defending champion Seminoles have the lowest GSR, at 65%. “It’s super troubling,” says Holt. “Florida State is a very good football school. But what’s going on here with the other 45% of the players?”

Merely giving that good old 110%.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:09 pm

I couldn't click through to the Time link to the GSR link but I think this is kind of bogus. GSR is a 6 year "look back" score to reflect how many players from classes graduated in 6 years. If you go to the current NCAA site the latest GSR score is 83 for the Classes entering 2004-2007-but most of those guys graduated in 2011 or 2012 at latest. TCU had their academic problems in 2012 and 2013 and I think all those guys were undergraduates. In fact, it was so bad that they are 1-2 flunking players or transfers not in good standing away from being ineligible for a bowl game next year in the other NCAA academic scale APR which measures academic progress toward degree. Not surprised though with the scores from earlier years because they had very little academic issues until 2012. Its kind of an embarrassment for Time not to note the recent problems. I don't think any current players had a thing to do with their GSR score

Here is an article from earlier this year concerning how close TCU is to sanctions based on APR

http://www.tcu360.com/sports/2014/05/32 ... es-low-apr
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RebStang » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:14 pm

geno wrote:Just posted. According to Time Magazine, of the final top 25 teams in the NCAA Div. I football rankings, TCU came in at #1 Academically. Swallow hard! Here's the link.

http://time.com/3640...E: Top Stories)

This list actually has nothing to do with the academic credentials of the actual schools. It's based on each school's football graduation success rate... that rating is more an indicator of how well a school steers football players into throwaway degree programs (like Mississippi State's famous "interdisciplinary studies" major that doesn't allows football players to take nothing but freshman and sophomore level courses for 4 years, make the honor roll every semester, and then score a 5 on the Wonderlic exam at the NFL combine).
RebStang
All-American

Postby CalallenStang » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:19 am

Geno is a Frog TROLL who has posted 5 times on here since 2004 but 4 times this week. Clearly our hire of Chad Morris has him worried
CalallenStang

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 am

Second worst TCU troll attempt this week.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby malonish » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:59 am

It means we can safely say we are better academically than the top 25 football schools.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby geno » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:30 am

CalallenStang wrote:Geno is a Frog TROLL who has posted 5 times on here since 2004 but 4 times this week. Clearly our hire of Chad Morris has him worried

Thanks Callutin, glad to be welcomed back. Have missed you guys because of some obligations in countries you might have trouble pronouncing. I did.
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:37 am

geno wrote:
CalallenStang wrote:Geno is a Frog TROLL who has posted 5 times on here since 2004 but 4 times this week. Clearly our hire of Chad Morris has him worried

Thanks Callutin, glad to be welcomed back. Have missed you guys because of some obligations in countries you might have trouble pronouncing. I did.

North Korea?
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Next

Return to Football