PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Baylor game gone?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Baylor game gone?

Postby SMU Football Blog » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:02 pm

Will you be the one to call Patterson and ask him when he plans to have a down cycle?
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby footballdad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:since the demise of the SWC, we avg less than 1 non-conference win a year. We are 16 of 72 in non conference. You take out I-AA, which some believe is beneath us, we have 9 nonconference regular season wins since the SWC disbanded. 2 against Arkansas, 2 against TCU, 1 against Kansas, navy, arky state, NTSU and wash state.

The nonconference schedule is a problem.

If you want TCU, Baylor and A&M every year, you better have a patsy the 4th game or you are insisting the head coach go .750 in conference just to get to 6-6. SMU has gone .750 in conference exactly once in that time frame.

Since the demise of the SWC, Our winning percentage in-conference is 41%. Don't take conference wins as a given.

Our approach to building teams is the problem. If Morris gets us to where we want to be on the recruiting trail then we can actually start winning some of those games. Hiding from good teams just because a bunch of our lousy teams from the past couldn't beat them doesn't make much sense.

Sorry but the Pony Express isn't coming back any time soon. The 'approach' to building that team was a problem as well I guess. :shock:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:20 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:Will you be the one to call Patterson and ask him when he plans to have a down cycle?

It's best to not even worry about cycles because you can't predict them. What if you schedule a team that you think will be in a down cycle and they become good all of a sudden? Do you chicken out of the game? If you're building your team the right way then you won't have to worry about what cycle your opponent is in.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sbsmith » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:23 pm

footballdad wrote:Sorry but the Pony Express isn't coming back any time soon. The 'approach' to building that team was a problem as well I guess. :shock:

I never mentioned the Pony Express but you do know it's possible to build a legit team without resorting to our old payroll tactics, right? Or do you condone cowardice on the recruiting trail as well?
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:24 pm

The problem is that SMU has NEVER run a the Football program in rational manner. Guess what SMU got its [deleted] together in Football AND Basketball -throw all those old excuses in the trash and come talk to me after 3 recruiting classes. I really don't care what happened in 1989, 1999 or 2009-SMU was running a crappy football program with the wrong coaches and staff as I pointed out along the way a couple of times
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby footballdad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 pm

sbsmith wrote:
footballdad wrote:Sorry but the Pony Express isn't coming back any time soon. The 'approach' to building that team was a problem as well I guess. :shock:

I never mentioned the Pony Express but you do know it's possible to build a legit team without resorting to our old payroll tactics, right? Or do you condone cowardice on the recruiting trail as well?

Yes, yes I condone cowardice on the recruiting trail and thought June did a fantastic job! :wink:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:04 pm

footballdad wrote:
Yes, yes I condone cowardice on the recruiting trail and thought June did a fantastic job! :wink:

That explains a lot.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:08 pm

sbsmith wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:since the demise of the SWC, we avg less than 1 non-conference win a year. We are 16 of 72 in non conference. You take out I-AA, which some believe is beneath us, we have 9 nonconference regular season wins since the SWC disbanded. 2 against Arkansas, 2 against TCU, 1 against Kansas, navy, arky state, NTSU and wash state.

The nonconference schedule is a problem.

If you want TCU, Baylor and A&M every year, you better have a patsy the 4th game or you are insisting the head coach go .750 in conference just to get to 6-6. SMU has gone .750 in conference exactly once in that time frame.

Since the demise of the SWC, Our winning percentage in-conference is 41%. Don't take conference wins as a given.

OR actually ALLOW him to build momentum for the program. One strong P5 program in the OOC, the rest weak enough that we can expect to go into conference at 3-1, and run up some wins. Keep the CM momentum going and when he gets the team to a certain level, then schedule up. Don't schedule up before the recruits are in place, get blown out, and kill the momentum. That is stupid.

Our approach to building teams is the problem. If Morris gets us to where we want to be on the recruiting trail then we can actually start winning some of those games. Hiding from good teams just because a bunch of our lousy teams from the past couldn't beat them doesn't make much sense.
JasonB

Postby sbsmith » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 pm

JasonB wrote:
OR actually ALLOW him to build momentum for the program. One strong P5 program in the OOC, the rest weak enough that we can expect to go into conference at 3-1, and run up some wins. Keep the CM momentum going and when he gets the team to a certain level, then schedule up. Don't schedule up before the recruits are in place, get blown out, and kill the momentum. That is stupid.

Morris can build momentum for the program with a legit OOC schedule. Half the battle will be getting the work done on the recruiting trail and he doesn't need a crappy OOC schedule to recruit well. Hell, legit OOC competition can only help Morris on the recruiting trail.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:12 pm

sbsmith wrote:
JasonB wrote:

Morris can build momentum for the program with a legit OOC schedule. Half the battle will be getting the work done on the recruiting trail and he doesn't need a crappy OOC schedule to recruit well. Hell, legit OOC competition can only help Morris on the recruiting trail.

You say that we have a bunch of crap on the current roster that will be recruited over, right?

By that logic, the majority of the roster will be frosh next year.

If you throw a bunch of frosh at two top 10 teams, they are going to get the crap knocked out of them, get whipped, and then lose a couple of games that they shouldn't have because they are too beat up to play.

Two 40 point losses and a losing record will do a lot more harm on the recruiting trail than the benefits of playing legit OOC schedules. If TCU is the model we want to pattern ourselves after, why not follow them in scheduling as well?

The momentum will ALWAYS be limited if you are pounded a few times every year OOC. Until you can get 10 wins against our level of competition, there is no reason to schedule up.
JasonB

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Stallion wrote:The problem is that SMU has NEVER run a the Football program in rational manner. Guess what SMU got its [deleted] together in Football AND Basketball -throw all those old excuses in the trash and come talk to me after 3 recruiting classes. I really don't care what happened in 1989, 1999 or 2009-SMU was running a crappy football program with the wrong coaches and staff as I pointed out along the way a couple of times

No, you just said "Model" about 1000x times.
GiddyUp

Postby CoxMustangFan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:38 am

sbsmith wrote:
footballdad wrote:

That explains a lot.

If my kid had no better (other?) offer and was at SMU by the grace of God, not sure I would be commenting too much about the ineffectiveness of June's recruiting. About the same as [deleted] about the ineffectiveness of condoms, when that's why you're here!!!
Pony up!
CoxMustangFan
Hall of Famer

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:23 am

JasonB wrote:You say that we have a bunch of crap on the current roster that will be recruited over, right?

By that logic, the majority of the roster will be frosh next year.

If you throw a bunch of frosh at two top 10 teams, they are going to get the crap knocked out of them, get whipped, and then lose a couple of games that they shouldn't have because they are too beat up to play.

Two 40 point losses and a losing record will do a lot more harm on the recruiting trail than the benefits of playing legit OOC schedules. If TCU is the model we want to pattern ourselves after, why not follow them in scheduling as well?

The momentum will ALWAYS be limited if you are pounded a few times every year OOC. Until you can get 10 wins against our level of competition, there is no reason to schedule up.

The team is going to be bad next year so we're just going to have to take our lumps. At this point what replacements for TCU and Baylor do you think you can we can find that won't blow us out? You think chickening out of playing relevant competition is going to do us any favors on the recruiting trail? If we build the roster the right way then we won't have to be scared of playing anyone.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby SMU Football Blog » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:12 pm

When the season is over, if you aren't in the top 5 or 10 nobody gives an S who you played-they just look at your record.
SMU Football Blog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:26 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:When the season is over, if you aren't in the top 5 or 10 nobody gives an S who you played-they just look at your record.

I don't know if that's true since SOS is going to be a big deal in the CFP era. Just look at Marshall, all those wins over junk and no Access Bowl to show for it. They didn't even sell out their stadium this year.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Football