PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Longhorn transfers?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Longhorn transfers?

Postby SMU Blue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 pm

There are rumors that multiple players are not happy in the Charlie Strong system, and may be asking for transfers out of Austin. Some of them are from Dallas. Any chance the SMU coaches will reach out to these players?

1) Jake Oliver - Sophomore that graduated from Dallas Jesuit. He is 6'4", 200 lb wide receiver that was a 4-Star recruit in high school.

2) Curtis Riser - Desoto high school graduate. He is a 6'3" offensive guard that was a 4-Star recruit in high school.

3) Garret Gray - Marble Falls. He was a 3-Star wide receiver that we offered in 2013.

4) Tim Cole - He was a 4-Star linebacker from Brenham.

Thoughts?
SMU Blue
Recruit

Re: Longhorn transfers?

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:57 pm

I would take Oliver in a heart beat. He'd be awesome for us.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ender3 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:16 pm

SMU Blue wrote:Any chance the SMU coaches will reach out to these players?

Any chance? Of course there's a chance.

However, whether we want them depends on large part why they want out of Austin.

If they see themselves being recruited over and want to go somewhere they can see significant playing time, then heck yes, I'm interested.

If they want out because Charlie Strong expects them to behave themselves and go to class, then nah, I'm not so much.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby EconPony'10 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Not saying that these guys aren't/can't be good, but weren't the last two Texas transfers (besides GG) we got pretty bad? The running back and the O-lineman?

Hopefully if we make a run at them, one will turn into the next GG for us.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:56 pm

When you have a roster that is as divorced of talent as this one you take any P5 transfers you can. We need the competition up and down the roster. Take them all if they'll have us.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:27 pm

EconPony'10 wrote:Not saying that these guys aren't/can't be good, but weren't the last two Texas transfers (besides GG) we got pretty bad? The running back and the O-lineman?

We got a basketball transfer from Texas not too long ago who worked out pretty well for us.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby EconPony'10 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:35 pm

H-E-B Mustang wrote:
EconPony'10 wrote:Not saying that these guys aren't/can't be good, but weren't the last two Texas transfers (besides GG) we got pretty bad? The running back and the O-lineman?

We got a basketball transfer from Texas not too long ago who worked out pretty well for us.

Very true, got my fingers crossed.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby SMU Blue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:48 pm

ender3 wrote:
SMU Blue wrote:Any chance the SMU coaches will reach out to these players?

Any chance? Of course there's a chance.

However, whether we want them depends on large part why they want out of Austin.

If they see themselves being recruited over and want to go somewhere they can see significant playing time, then heck yes, I'm interested.

If they want out because Charlie Strong expects them to behave themselves and go to class, then nah, I'm not so much.

I don't think any of these guys have behavior issues or grade issues. Here is how I see it:

1) Charlie Strong wants to win with his guys. All of these guys were recruited by Mack Brown.
2) Charlie Strong has instilled a "military" atmosphere at UT. Time will tell if this philosophy will work or not, but the jury is still out after a 6-7 season.
3) These players have been passed up on the depth chart by Freshman who were recruited by Strong.
4) I can see the attraction of moving back to the university in your hometown to play in a dynamic offense like Chad Morris is installing. Especially after watching from the sidelines as your team gets throttled by Arkansas 31-7.
SMU Blue
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Jake Oliver is the son of Gary Oliver former Aggie and SMU Assistant coach
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Go watch Oliver's film from high school. Dominant. His combination of size and athleticism would be fantastic in a CM offense.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby CalallenStang » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:16 pm

I'd take any of these guys in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CalallenStang

Postby EconPony'10 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:19 pm

Stallion wrote:Jake Oliver is the son of Gary Oliver former Aggie and SMU Assistant coach

Hopefully that would help our chances with him as long as his Dad didn't have a bad experience here.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby Junior » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:36 pm

1 out of 3 is better than we've been averaging in HS recruiting the last few years. One got injured. The other I have no idea about. Not sure what Ashford's (or Ashwhatever) story was.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby EconPony'10 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Junior wrote:

1 out of 3 is better than we've been averaging in HS recruiting the last few years. One got injured. The other I have no idea about. Not sure what Ashford's (or Ashwhatever) story was.

yeah especially if the one out of the three turns into a major play maker. Will take that all day long.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Next

Return to Football