PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

NCAA proving their integrity

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: NCAA proving their integrity

Postby peruna81 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:Producer of Pony Excess tweeted tonight he may look into doing a documentary on PSU and the NCAA...look into what happened, what the timeline actually was, and how the past several years has truly shown how little integrity the NCAA has. I would definitely pay to see that. As I mentioned...I don't think for a second that it is just a coincidence that the SMU allegations are posted the same day JoPa gets his wins back.

Thad has done good, creative, and accurate work. Give him a shot at it. Betcha it wouldn't be boring.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby couch 'em » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:54 pm

peruna81 wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:Producer of Pony Excess tweeted tonight he may look into doing a documentary on PSU and the NCAA...look into what happened, what the timeline actually was, and how the past several years has truly shown how little integrity the NCAA has. I would definitely pay to see that. As I mentioned...I don't think for a second that it is just a coincidence that the SMU allegations are posted the same day JoPa gets his wins back.

Thad has done good, creative, and accurate work. Give him a shot at it. Betcha it wouldn't be boring.

It would be well done, but guarantee he'd never be on ESPN again
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Greenwich Pony wrote:I can understand the argument that the NCAA overstepped their bounds for punishment of criminal behavior at Penn State. So set Sandusky aside for a moment. It is about unfair competitive advantage, though it has been quietly denied. The administrators let this happen because they did not want to take the bad PR and recruiting hit to the program. Because of that decision, Penn State continued to be a full member of the Big Ten, continued to rake in a huge amount of football money, which helped keep the team competitive and adds to the competitive of the rest of the department through coaching salaries, new facilities, recruiting budgets, etc., to an average tune of $50-60 million a year. Would the scandal have taken all that away? No, but it would certainly have made a dent. So what the NCAA is saying is that to allow this sort of vile, abhorrent behavior on the part of an institution is acceptable and in the long run in an institution's financial interest. That the NCAA and it's member institutions can't seem to set their moral compass to support basic humanity, and are unwilling to punish one of their own for decades (and millions of dollars) of unfair financial support, then how can it enforce anything? Add the situation at UNC, and that alone should basically put the NCAA out of the enforcement business.

This was as much, if not more, about the reputation of the university than athletics. The Board over the years had become an ineffective rubber stamp of people who did not ask for accountability and/or challenge a myriad of problems that made the media, but were not presented by the administration or questioned by the Board. For example, the very public resignation of the official charged with the school's student affairs/honor code issues when she blasted the President for deciding that only Paterno would take all corrective actions against football players for all issues thereby removing them from all the protections and safe guards afforded all students and resolving the issues within long established university policy. The Board merely wanted to think that everything was perfect at PSU and they were drinking their own Kool Aid. Do not ask and no one will need to tell. Sandusky issues were known to various Board members, university officials, Paterno and charity Board members as early as 1997, but no one bothered to ask other than Paterno who hastened/forced Sandusky's retirement to protect the integrity of the football program. Problem is that Sandusky had powerful friends and the Board sanctioned the creation of office space for Sandusky and his charity on campus and gave him full access to all university facilities.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Cancer metastasized...entire system corrupted..."la la la la"...we are perfect.

Hope the documentary is made...really hope we get more big commits. I'll take what I can get.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:30 am

PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks for posting...and...wow. Thad, please make that documentary. This video practically demands it.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 pm

WOW is right.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:

Thanks for posting...and...wow. Thad, please make that documentary. This video practically demands it.

Yep, this matter really needs Thad and even he may not be able to sort it out because there are so many skeletons in so many closets from the Board, to the PSU President, to university VPs, the Attorney General, the Governor, campus police, a mysteriously missing Assistant District Attorney who had the initial case in 1997, Paterno, Sandusky, his charity Board and the list goes on. Acceptance of the NCAA's sanctions was, in effect, an attempt to cover up and protect many vested interests they did not want exposed mainly relating to the Board itself.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm very confused. I don't understand how "NCAA"and "Integrity" can logically be used in the same sentence. Unless its a negative sentence.
ponyte

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:56 pm

ponyte wrote:I'm very confused. I don't understand how "NCAA"and "Integrity" can logically be used in the same sentence. Unless its a negative sentence.

Stallion made some earlier observations that struck me from the legal side...NCAA mandating penalties that exceeded their scope (intruding into civll area), as well as their rather quick rescinding of the imposed penalties re JoePa and the wins. The NCAA is quietly covering their arse regarding their own mistakes (see the investigation of the U), while continuing to promote the banner of the guardianship of young athletes' lives and careers. I believe and hope that their days are quickly numbered as a relevant entity on the changing field of college athletics.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyte » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:21 pm

Certainly not a legal eagle, but I do think the two tiered system (P5) the NCAA set up is the ultimate opening for its demise.
ponyte

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 pm

and what is going to replace it? For G-5s be careful what you are wishing for-the NCAA was the institution that kept the floor somewhat even. The NCAA has lost battles fighting for smaller schools to control spending to the P5, BCS block which are the schools which really are the problem. The P5 have the voting block to screw the G5s. They don't have self autonomy to do it right now but what happens if a new governing structure allows P5's to sign 50 players a year, pay its players $50,000 a year, reduce or eliminate academic standards and require P5 to only play P5s in BOTH Football AND Basketball. SMU football and basketball fold or is deemphasized-that's what. SMU fans are already [deleted] about forking over more money needed to fund the Mustang Club a year before athletic stipends go into affect. The NCAA lost-we are going to pay more because the NCAA lost. We are going to continue pay increasingly exorbitant costs in the future for the loss of control of the NCAA to the P5
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyte » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Obviously the devil we know has a level of comfort over the devil we don't know. If the NCAA falls apart, perhaps it is an opportunity for those that have been limited in the market due to the current status quo. Certainly there will be losers if the NCAA falls apart but there will be opportunity for those prepared and have a visioning plan.
ponyte

Postby stc9 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:09 am

ponyte wrote:Certainly there will be losers if the NCAA falls apart but there will be opportunity for those prepared and have a visioning plan.

Rick Hart has pleasantly surprised so far. That being said, I lack faith that SMU would either be prepared or have a vision to capitalize on those opportunities.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football