PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

My Piece on June Jones. Can't wait for Chad Morris Era!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

My Piece on June Jones. Can't wait for Chad Morris Era!

Postby SMUforLife » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:50 pm

It was high time somebody wrote about the scandalous last three years of June Jones at SMU. It was very hard for me to about SMU Football that way. But I just could not forgive June Jones for what he did to the SMU nation. This piece is a closure for me on June Jones. Folks can't wait for the Chad Morris Era to begin. National Championship in 5 :D #PonyUp

http://guardianlv.com/2015/01/college-f ... n-america/

June apologists have a problem? Bring it on @vikvemuri Twitter.
SMUforLife
Scout Team

Re: My Piece on June Jones. Can't wait for Chad Morris Era!

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I have always held the conspiracy theory that tiki purposely submarined the program after the ASU fiasco to get even at us because the admin would not bow down to all of his demands.IMO he was determined to bleed all of the money he could out of SMU while doing nothing to build or enhance the program and finally bailed on the players just to save face and avoid having this fiasco of a season on his record.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMUforLife » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:15 pm

RedPony you are right. I went to Lyle for my grad program from 09-11 and closely followed the program after that. June Jones clearly knew going into last season that he did not have enough skill to coach the current roster to respectability. He dumped us and went on a vacation to the deep Pacific. His career is over.
SMUforLife
Scout Team

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm

SMUforLife wrote:It was high time somebody wrote about the scandalous last three years of June Jones at SMU. It was very hard for me to about SMU Football that way. But I just could not forgive June Jones for what he did to the SMU nation. This piece is a closure for me on June Jones. Folks can't wait for the Chad Morris Era to begin. National Championship in 5 :D #PonyUp

It's a little bare....PLENTY of more damning details you could have included. Coulda brought up his 6-34 record against winning teams, going to bowls beating up on tulane, how half of the current roster has no other FBS offers, how he has ran qbs into the ground that were successful elsewhere, how he refused to adapt his scheme except for the mumme year, provided more details and stats as to his offensive performance vs p5 teams and compared against bottom dwellers, how he trashed the school in the media every chance he got, how Proche said he had only heard from him twice ever, and one was at a camp at SMU. Coulda talked about the multitude of wasted redshirts and great athletes left on the bench (willis, nlemchi, wimbley off the top of my head), lack of a goal line package, lack of the ability to produce a 2 min drill drive, over head projector, how he claimed the school wasn't pulling their weight and provide evidence to the contrary and illustrate more and speculate on how he quit and left this mess to protect his record and not for the personal reasons he cited, because he was interviewing for jobs 3 weeks later. And sum it up with how he basically stole from the university and set the bar for contract negotiations by getting paid 2 million dollars a year to stay under .500 since he stepped on campus
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby SMUforLife » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Editors cut my friend! Tried my best #PonyUp
SMUforLife
Scout Team

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:27 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
SMUforLife wrote:It was high time somebody wrote about the scandalous last three years of June Jones at SMU. It was very hard for me to about SMU Football that way. But I just could not forgive June Jones for what he did to the SMU nation. This piece is a closure for me on June Jones. Folks can't wait for the Chad Morris Era to begin. National Championship in 5 :D #PonyUp

It's a little bare....PLENTY of more damning details you could have included. Coulda brought up his 6-34 record against winning teams, going to bowls beating up on tulane, how half of the current roster has no other FBS offers, how he has ran qbs into the ground that were successful elsewhere, how he refused to adapt his scheme except for the mumme year, provided more details and stats as to his offensive performance vs p5 teams and compared against bottom dwellers, how he trashed the school in the media every chance he got, how Proche said he had only heard from him twice ever, and one was at a camp at SMU. Coulda talked about the multitude of wasted redshirts and great athletes left on the bench (willis, nlemchi, wimbley off the top of my head), lack of a goal line package, lack of the ability to produce a 2 min drill drive, over head projector, how he claimed the school wasn't pulling their weight and provide evidence to the contrary and illustrate more and speculate on how he quit and left this mess to protect his record and not for the personal reasons he cited, because he was interviewing for jobs 3 weeks later. And sum it up with how he basically stole from the university and set the bar for contract negotiations by getting paid 2 million dollars a year to stay under .500 since he stepped on campus

and also point out how his best players were either Bennet's, transfers, or were walk ons from Northwest Europe.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:36 pm

SMUforLife wrote:Editors cut my friend! Tried my best #PonyUp

ha it's actually a pretty nifty idea, I don't know why anyone thought to do it. I just think the tone should have been a bit more angry :twisted:
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Pony81 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:43 pm

When the S.S. JJ went down Steve Orsini Was standing in the wheelhouse.

SO's reputation took a serious hit with the JJ debacle and the BB coaching search. He likely will never be a D1 AD ever again. Real Estate or insurance is likely his future calling.

Anybody know where SteveO is these days?
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:45 pm

IIRC he was working for an O&G company in Ok.
redpony

Postby NY Pony » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:22 pm

redpony wrote:IIRC he was working for an O&G company in Ok.

Did Orsini give the american o&g business the kiss of death too? Thanks for the cheap gas, Steve!
NY Pony
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 pm

Thought we were still paying him.
smusic 00

Postby skurtn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:39 am

Thank you for being passionate about our school, and its athletics.
However, I feel that these sorts of "articles" don't do much to help anyone.
More especially, the drivel that's constantly coming out of DMN about crap that happened 20+ years ago.
skurtn
All-American

Postby Digetydog » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:39 am

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
vielsiehorsepower wrote:

and also point out how his best players were either Bennet's, transfers, or were walk ons from Northwest Europe.

If Margus hadn't developed into a CUSA monster, June would have lost his job before Gilbert got him 2 more years.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUforLife » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am

True, also think JJ. McD and co played their tails off in 2011 after the Kyle disappoint in Kyle field. Diamonds in the rough class that one.
SMUforLife
Scout Team

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:47 pm

If Margus hadn't developed into a CUSA monster, June would have lost his job before Gilbert got him 2 more years.[/quote]

If I had to pick 5 players that greatly delayed JJs departure I'd say
1.gg-goes without saying
2.margus-2009 poty IMO. He changed the outcome of at least three games I recall..rice, utep, ecu. No hawaii bowl without great special teams play
3.Beasley-one of 2 dependable receivers in 2011
4.line- for carrying a passing offense that couldn't pass
5.tank-heart and soul of a d that carried the aforementioned inept offense

Honorable mention-ack, spike, jg, DJ

P.s with a red shirt year, better coaching and going against better players in practice and games Margus would have been an SEC monster. June seriously lucked into that. Would have been interesting to see hunt play a little tight end. Want a two tight end set? Send out Marcus and Thompson...oh what could have been
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Next

Return to Football