PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Black Uni's BOYS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Black Uni's BOYS

Postby couch 'em » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:09 am

Whoa those are awesome
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:34 am

"Because it's sterile and I like the taste."

First, anyone who states that all the Oregon uniforms that Nike has recently made for them are great is either color blind or on acid. Half of that junk looks like a failed printing of a Roarsch test.
Second, new uniforms are a necessary change to bring in the new recruits in this era of swag. I like those older style defined by simplicity, but they don't sell in this day and age.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:34 am

I like the Baylor gunmetal helmet. It still retains the traditional gold/green BU, but is flashy without being gaudy.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:46 am

I guess I am color blind or on acid because I have always liked Oregon's uniforms. Sets them apart for sure.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:42 am

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:I like the Baylor gunmetal helmet. It still retains the traditional gold/green BU, but is flashy without being gaudy.

Plus it evokes violence which is always cool.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby PK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:24 pm

mrydel wrote:I guess I am color blind or on acid because I have always liked Oregon's uniforms. Sets them apart for sure.

mrydel on acid...now that might be something interesting to see 8) ...or not. :wink:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby sciencepony08 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Just flipped a Kansas three-star wide receiver, guess what picture he tweeted to announce his commitment to Smu? Him in a black jersey, they're doing work

http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Thomas-37131

https://twitter.com/stickyhands_1/statu ... 7995915266
#It'sAlwaysSonny
#Ponyup
sciencepony08
Recruit

Postby SMUalum85 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:16 pm

With today's recruiting, it's all about the appeal to the kids. Basic uniforms with Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue aren't going to give us any advantages in recruiting. I'm all for the jerseys, I mean they could be much worse (see 2010).
SMUalum85

Postby SMU 86 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Getting a commit to flip from a lower level P5 team is a really good for Coach Morris.

I'm am very proud to say that I have officially committed to SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY.

"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Oliver » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:33 pm

I think the all blacks are a decent start considering we at least made an alternate jersey + matching pants, and while red chrome isn't my favorite, they at least look legitimately made.

I think the jerseys looks kinda cheap, almost like a bit of a knock off, and I dont care for the tiny pony, reminds me of a high school jersey, or the giant shoulder stripes for that matter.

That said, I think we need to keep tinkering with chrome, black, flash, neon, loud jerseys and styles. Recruits love it, and it can look very cool.
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby Oliver » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Black can look good, just some examples to point out the difference from where we're at , and where we need to go...just look at the detailing on these respective jerseys. As we grow the brand and the program, we need jerseys with better detailing on them.

Some design elements I like
ASU: two tone colors on numbers, clean minimal lines on shoulders, elastic piping under collar
Army: Elastic Piping under the collar like ASU, matching gloves and custom dry fit is a must

#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:11 pm

Yeah, I don't hate black unis per se, I just hate the execution of these black jerseys.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:15 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:I like the Baylor gunmetal helmet. It still retains the traditional gold/green BU, but is flashy without being gaudy.

You mean their lame attempt to try to mimic ND's gold helmets?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:32 am

SMUstangs22 wrote:Those would speak to recruits. Lets face it, everything loyal ponyfans like recruits do not. See the common thoughts on the new old black jerseys with red chrome.

Point is this: do whatever gets winning recruits in the door and then go back to the retro. Right now we are making our retro look really unsexy

I could support any of those... Exception: No blue Mustang on any helmet. The red Mustang has got to be the one common thread for any football uniform.

Anyway, we need new carpet and drapes first:

We are in the process of making improvements to the Loyd All-Sports Center, including enhancing the team areas, meeting rooms and coaches’ offices by installing new flooring and furniture as well as graphics that celebrate SMU’s rich football history.
Bergermeister

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:49 am

Black and flashy can look great, but it needs to be clean and well done.

We have a fantastic graphics arts program, put a contest out to the students, and then let the team vote on the winning design.

I'd like to see red transition to blue on the number, but you have to outline the number to make it pop like Army does.

Get rid of the lines on the shoulders. Replace them with either a mustang or a horseshoe. Helmet should be black matte with a red transitioning to blue mustang on it. Somewhere on the jersey have "fear the pony" inscribed.
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Football