PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Black Uni's BOYS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Black Uni's BOYS

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:45 am

Whoa, LEDs in the helmet. Genius. I wonder if they are allowed
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Lebanese4Life » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:40 am

aus10fromhous10 wrote:That's definitely a different black uniform than what was worn for the Armed Forces Bowl in 2010:

The first version of black unis were Adidas, and had shoulder stripes on the side, not top. Also, it said SMU on the front, instead of the Mustang logo.

Any ideas where these new Nike black jerseys came from? Where they going to be used at some point and didn't?

yeah these are obviously the unis we wore season before last, just in black and with a chrome helmet. not much creativity went into this
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU1523 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:40 am

Lebanese4Life wrote:
yeah these are obviously the unis we wore season before last, just in black and with a chrome helmet. not much creativity went into this

This is an understatement. IMHO, gray and black are on their way out. OSU and WVU both have exhausted the gray look for years and I have felt like black was never a good idea.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:01 pm

Has UT ever had a black uni? A&M? How about Ohio State? Or let's try Florida, Alabama or Florida State. Or USC? Or even ND? Let's fly our colors proudly. Black is not one of our university colors. If the players want to wear black so bad, why doesn't Tech have better recruiting classes versus UT or A&M. So, no, let's not go there.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby CenTXpony » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:37 pm

EastStang wrote:Has UT ever had a black uni? A&M? How about Ohio State? Or let's try Florida, Alabama or Florida State. Or USC? Or even ND? Let's fly our colors proudly. Black is not one of our university colors. If the players want to wear black so bad, why doesn't Tech have better recruiting classes versus UT or A&M. So, no, let's not go there.

A&M - Yes
Florida State - Yes
Ohio State - Yes

Also: Miami, UNC, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Utah, TCU, UCLA, ASU, Washington, Baylor, Minnesota, Michigan State Im sure I can go on...

Pretty sure these jerseys are old though that these recruits are tweeting...
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby sciencepony08 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 pm

EastStang wrote:Has UT ever had a black uni? A&M? How about Ohio State? Or let's try Florida, Alabama or Florida State. Or USC? Or even ND? Let's fly our colors proudly. Black is not one of our university colors. If the players want to wear black so bad, why doesn't Tech have better recruiting classes versus UT or A&M. So, no, let's not go there.

We are not those schools and will never be them. We need to face that reality (mind you, I would never trade my allegiance to any of them). I'm all for traditionalism, but those school recruit on name brand alone. If you've been following recruiting you would know that there is a large number of kids, even in the DFW area, who didn't know anything about SMU before this coaching staff reached out to them.

Let's first get the recruits attention, get a team that produces results, then we can complain about the Unis colors... O and BTW the recruit that tweeted the initial post about the black Unis, Bryce English, is a high 3 star DL. He would be a huge get for the mustangs and he just tweeted that picture again today https://twitter.com/BryceEnglish34/status/558309555990310913 This time with the Pony express title... Looks like kids respond to the black.
Last edited by sciencepony08 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#It'sAlwaysSonny
#Ponyup
sciencepony08
Recruit

Postby skurtn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:41 pm

I don't care about the color of the uniforms.
If the players (and recruits) care... awesome. Then let them pick the color.. not us.
skurtn
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:54 pm

skurtn wrote: If the players (and recruits) care... awesome. Then let them pick the color.. not us.

We tried that during the Cavan regime. :oops: Sometimes a little adult leadership is necessary.
Bergermeister

Postby skurtn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Bergermeister wrote:
skurtn wrote: If the players (and recruits) care... awesome. Then let them pick the color.. not us.

We tried that during the Cavan regime. :oops: Sometimes a little adult leadership is necessary.

It doesn't have to be an "all" or "none" scenario. The people that care the most about what they're wearing, should be the ones with the largest voice. Clearly, a compromise can be struck if the people paying for it, take issue with it.

We have to do this in work/personal settings all the time. Seems reasonable that it can work here too.
skurtn
All-American

Postby DiamondM » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46 pm

I actually like the black we wore in the Armed Forced Bowl better than these ugly things. (What I didn't like was the BS idea of honoring "America" by wearing black, since America's colors are red, white, and blue, like ours. Honoring your opponent by wearing its colors is stupid.).

These unis look too much like Texas Tech with just the all black with red stripes with no outline. And that's coming from someone married to a Red Raider.

I happen to love the chrome red helments, but these unis are gross.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Believe it or not, I just saw three SMU football uniform mockups on my Instagram feed. I have no clue how to post them, but they are done by "Customunis." They are similar to some of Arizona's uniforms. Maybe one of you "who know who how to do these things" can find them on Instagram and post them.
Hey, I'm happy someone is interested in SMU and thinking about our Mustangs!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm

Best I could do is screen capture.

smusic 00

Postby SMUrf » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 pm

God those are horrible.
SMUrf
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:35 pm

Those are apparently for the deep sea diving team.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby TidePony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm

That helmet - is the worst.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football