PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Wisconsin Academic admission standards

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Wisconsin Academic admission standards

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Those that tout the need for "academically friendly majors" need to understand what that means from an academic institutional stand point. "We can get em in but can't keep em" - there is a reason for that. The kids are dumb. Sorry but that is a true statement for most in that category. And you want to help their ignorance all for the sake of athletic superiority and "W's". Just sad.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:07 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Those that tout the need for "academically friendly majors" need to understand what that means from an academic institutional stand point. "We can get em in but can't keep em" - there is a reason for that. The kids are dumb. Sorry but that is a true statement for most in that category. And you want to help their ignorance all for the sake of athletic superiority and "W's". Just sad.

I would disagree that all of these kids are dumb. Yes, they have been catered to and pampered through school because they had athletic ability, but many of the black and Hispanic kids, particularly from the inner cities, come from backgrounds of a single parent, poverty existence, poor role models, little male influence, little academic reinforcement and generally very poor school systems. I read an article recently that indicated that more than 70% of the teachers ( mostly minorities ) in the Los Angeles independent school district cannot pass a 10th grade English class or an 8th grade math class. This is the inferior quality of teachers who are tasked with producing kids with higher level skills than the teachers. Kids in these situations are not dumb, but left behind for many reasons.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:42 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:Those that tout the need for "academically friendly majors" need to understand what that means from an academic institutional stand point. "We can get em in but can't keep em" - there is a reason for that. The kids are dumb. Sorry but that is a true statement for most in that category. And you want to help their ignorance all for the sake of athletic superiority and "W's". Just sad.

I would disagree that all of these kids are dumb. Yes, they have been catered to and pampered through school because they had athletic ability, but many of the black and Hispanic kids, particularly from the inner cities, come from backgrounds of a single parent, poverty existence, poor role models, little male influence, little academic reinforcement and generally very poor school systems. I read an article recently that indicated that more than 70% of the teachers ( mostly minorities ) in the Los Angeles independent school district cannot pass a 10th grade English class or an 8th grade math class. This is the inferior quality of teachers who are tasked with producing kids with higher level skills than the teachers. Kids in these situations are not dumb, but left behind for many reasons.

Also not to mention that some kids just aren't good at school. I've met plenty of people that are incredibly bright but have trouble translating that to grades. And yes I understand that if you don't have that discipline you can't/shouldnt play college ball but being dumb is not the only reason. And regarding the point above I read somewhere a small handful of years ago that a valedictorian from a disd school flunked out of ATM after one semester because she was completely unprepared for the quality and amount of work asked to be donee.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby West Coast Johnny » Fri May 22, 2015 9:12 am

Anderson is being disingenuous. Regardless of admission standards, the quality of athlete he could have attracted to Wisconsin is much greater than Corvallis. The level of athlete Bielma was getting to Madison had won three straight big 10 championships when he left.
West Coast Johnny
All-American

Postby malonish » Fri May 22, 2015 10:26 am

StallionsModelT wrote:
Stallion wrote:well actually that has been a part of my argument too-but I wish it was NCAA wide. I think MOST of the increasing academic fraud we are seeing today is a result of the deemphasis of the SAT on the sliding scale. Prop 48 got it right for about 15 years when it included the 700 minimum floor (recentered now to 830). But the NCAA in about 2000 allowed schools to go "below the floor". There is no way a kid scoring 600 or 700 on his SAT can handle college level courses. Even 800-850 is a stretch and a kid that will need a lot of remedial help. Those kids should be diverted to a JUCO/CC track until they can get the remedial help they need to justify a 4 year school scholarship. Starting in 2008 SMU started playing that game

Not trying to be rude or insensitive here...but how does one not get at least a 700 on the SAT?

Misspell your own name?
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smudubs » Fri May 22, 2015 12:07 pm

That is not a fair assessment of all athletes. From 1994-1999, five of Tom Rossley's recruits went to law school, with four graduating. One of his recruits is a doctor in Fort Worth. Also one of the basketball players during this period graduated near the top of his law school class. Our classes also had athletes who excelled in engineering and business. In fairness, however, not all of us did as well. There were some who could not read and I see one of my former teammates more often than others because I smoke cigars on his FedEx route.

Finally, not all African-American athletes struggle. I am a prime example. As is my son who is being recruited to run track. He is actively being recruited by the likes of M.I.T and Lehigh. He's also being recruited by Southern Miss (puke) and a handful of others. He scored a 2260 on the SAT and we have been informed that he will be named as a National Merit Scholar semifinalist.
Ponyfans.com voice of reason
smudubs
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Fri May 22, 2015 1:00 pm

If there is too much "proud" for you to handle, I will take some of it. Sounds like a great young man.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ghost » Fri May 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Seems to be even more of an uneven playing field in academics than when it comes to facilities, conferences, etc. Money really causes some to lower their standards when it comes to admissions and keeping em eligible and nowadays with worthless degrees. Wonder how many sports management graduates the ags are turning out now? Maybe general studies degrees at other schools.
ghost
All-American

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri May 22, 2015 1:58 pm

smudubs wrote:Finally, not all African-American athletes struggle. I am a prime example. As is my son who is being recruited to run track. He is actively being recruited by the likes of M.I.T and Lehigh. He's also being recruited by Southern Miss (puke) and a handful of others. He scored a 2260 on the SAT and we have been informed that he will be named as a National Merit Scholar semifinalist.

Sounds like an excellent young man who will miss the opportunity to get an SMU education and experience because, well, he likes that sport many on here seem to disparage. Oh for the day we can support and field a mens track program again.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby whitwiki » Sun May 24, 2015 2:24 pm

If he goes to MIT I'm sure he won't regret not coming to SMU
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun May 24, 2015 9:28 pm

i don't think many on this board disparage track. We just realize we can't afford a track team unless and until we are P-5.

And although MIT is one of the best universities in the USA - i would still rather go to SMU - you get a PHD in social skills - skills which are as imperative to success as any others you could learn.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby whitwiki » Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 am

MIT grads are quite capable of networking, if a bit arrogant. Of course, we Smu grads aren't exactly humble.
whitwiki
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Mon May 25, 2015 8:09 am

With perhaps one exception I believe every MIT grad I've known always, at least in conversation with people who did not matriculate there, referred to the school as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and not MIT. That includes a nephew and his wife. Anyone else noticed that? Is that the term they use in conversation with one another? What college is confused with the one in Canbridge?
No Quarter
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football