PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Something you may have missed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Something you may have missed

Postby fifty » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:30 am

He is still pushing the g5 spring league i see...
fifty
Heisman

Postby ReedFrawg » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:48 am

Stallion wrote:June says we "overcorrected"-let too many ACADEMICALLY marginal students in. Darn you SMU Admissions for letting June's recruits into school-50% of which didn't have Division 1A offers. I thought the problem was that SMU's Coaches offered too many ATHLETICALLY marginal students. Poor guy for the first time in 40 years he's finally getting some vacation time

What the heck? That guy is delusional....
ReedFrawg
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:00 am

That spring league comment nuked any chance of him ever getting a job again in college. No AD in their right mind would hire a guy that would make such an unbelievably stupid statement.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am

The spring league comment isn't stupid IF you believe there is no shot at joining the P5, and the P5 is not going to play G5 non-conference. At that point, you are just trying to find ways to maximize revenue, and that is the shot.

I took two things out of the article:
- It sounds like everyone around the program (LB, JJ, CM) is saying that the internal support problems have been resolved moving forward. Academic issues and support complaints should be a thing of the past now.
- JJ definitely lied during the luncheon. His common refrain was that Steinberg handled everything behind the scenes, and that he had no direct communication with anyone. That obviously is not true.
JasonB

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:37 am

SMU2007 wrote:When are they starting construction on his statue?

I believe it will be located next to the Paterno one.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:44 am

peruna81 wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:Pathological liar and a fraud. He should never be allowed back on campus.

Maybe he can come back when they invite Bobby Collins for a visit...

You're joking, right.

Bobby Collins-led SMU team was the only undefeated team in the nation during the '82 season, I'd love to see that team honored at a current SMU game, I suspect the fans would as well.

Plus I've never heard him accused of being a lazy POS fraud.

Huge difference.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:47 am

My favorite theme in all of these JJ stories is the oft repeated but never actually thought-out concept of how he left. He didn't want to leave the school after the 2013 season because he would be doing a disservice to his coaches (notice, he never mentions the players or school there)...so instead he went half-assed into the '14 season then left after 2 games. That doesn't pass any form of the smell test...it's pure stupidity, and it should be raised as a responsive question by every individual who interviews him. Instead, he continues on the Kim Jong-Il victory tour press junket, visiting only the most reputable rags who promise to ask nothing but canned questions. Would love to have someone collect a "best of" list of his quotes and most dubious accomplishments in historical fiction and have those posted in a full page ad in Hawaii. I know we have moved on, but that would just feel nice.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:53 am

The biggest and most insulting lie is that he fully intended to step down after two games and informed his assistant coaches of it before the season. There is no way that's true. If so, I would think there is grounds for a lawsuit to recoup some of the money he took home since his contract for the year was to be the head coach for the full season.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby PonyKai » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 pm

I kind of found the article funny. I may be misreading it, but June seems to have really dialed back his comments regarding SMU and his time here. He seemed much more reflective, and, dare I say, had a more favorable attitude about his time here.

Now, he completely changed his position on why SMU is just such a "tough place to win." But that's not really my focus.

My two cents is that he went from absolute self-preservation, realized he ain't getting another college job -ever again - and tried to take a fire extinguisher to the bridges he torched.

But then again this article is littered with June's lies - see his departure and the ASU fiasco - so who knows.
PonyKai

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:29 pm

I agree StL. June's comments about SMU in this piece are quite a bit more nuanced then his previous comments. He seems to have re-thought his stump speech in the last few weeks. But here is my real question. . .

June states that SMU "overcorrected" on academic standards. As I read it, he appears to be saying that SMU started admitting a bunch of marginal kids before they had the academic support infrastructure in place. There may be some merit to that comment, but it begs the question. . .how many kids were ruled academically ineligible during June's tenure? I may be forgetting, but I don't remember academic issues being a big problem for football players during the June years. It seems to me that getting them admitted into SMU was his bigger beef (at least in the first few years).
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby ghost » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:42 pm

June did leave the program better in one way. He showed that SMU can have some moderate success without recruiting just by getting a few transfers and having a halfway decent staff who didn't recruit either but could coach somewhat...especially defense. Now imaging what a head coach can do here at SMU and his staff who can both coach and recruit in the "recruiting heaven" that is North Texas. If TCU did it why not. Anybody think TCU is too good for the Big 12 and looking to leave for the SEC now? After all football and baseball are top 5 national programs.
ghost
All-American

Postby Hal » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:38 pm

He's as relevant as Sherwood Blount: yes, his name is relevant in the history of the program, but he's in the past. Over and done with.
It's amazing how many people keep spending time rehashing his tenure, good or bad.
Hal
Varsity

Postby malonish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:05 pm

Begging the question means "assuming the conclusion (of an argument)", a type of circular reasoning. This is an informal fallacy where the conclusion that one is attempting to prove is included in the initial premise of an argument, often in an indirect way that conceals this fact.[1]

The term "begging the question" originated in the 16th century as a mistranslation of Latin petitio principii "assuming the initial point".[2] In modern vernacular usage, "to beg the question" is sometimes also used to mean "to raise the question" (as in "This begs the question of whether...") or "to dodge the question".[2] This usage is often proscribed.

Begging the question has nothing to do with a question :lol:

"Paranormal activity is real because I have experienced what can only be described as paranormal activity." The claim, “paranormal activity is real” is supported by the premise, “I have experienced what can only be described as paranormal activity.” The premise presupposes, or assumes, that the claim, “paranormal activity is real” is already true.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyFan32 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:I agree StL. June's comments about SMU in this piece are quite a bit more nuanced then his previous comments. He seems to have re-thought his stump speech in the last few weeks. But here is my real question. . .

June states that SMU "overcorrected" on academic standards. As I read it, he appears to be saying that SMU started admitting a bunch of marginal kids before they had the academic support infrastructure in place. There may be some merit to that comment, but it begs the question. . .how many kids were ruled academically ineligible during June's tenure? I may be forgetting, but I don't remember academic issues being a big problem for football players during the June years. It seems to me that getting them admitted into SMU was his bigger beef (at least in the first few years).

The question of how many athletes were ruled academically ineligible is a valid one... If only I could remember the list. There were definitely a number who left school before they had a chance to become real players for us. I don't think we had a big enough problem to explain away the football program's issues (not even close), but there were definitely a few. I distinctly remember a few DBs who didnt make it academically here in the 2009-ish timeframe, but can't remember their names... McConico was one, maybe?
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby dr rc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:22 pm

Jones — who had played one season at Hawaii before transferring to PSU — says he turned down a $4 million to $5 million package offered by the Chargers to return to Hawaii, where he made $298,000 his first season.

:roll: :lol:

suuuuuuure

I've got some sweet ocean front property to sell in AZ as well.
dr rc
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football