PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible Candidates To Switch Positions This Spring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Possible Candidates To Switch Positions This Spring

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:41 pm

I think we'll see a lot of guys move around as Morris and his staff try to make the pieces fit their schemes. I can think of a few guys who might be moving around.

Ced Lancaster - WR to CB - should've been at corner from day one.

Prescott Line - RB to LB - love the kid but he should never have the ball in his hands again

Daniel Gresham - RB to LB - I want to see him get a shot at RB, but doesn't Morris want a speed guy at tailback?

Zelt Minor - DE to DT - If he can put on a few more pounds I think he'd be a terrific 4-3 tackle.

Deion Sanders, Jr. - WR to CB - could use the added depth over there and he doesn't have the speed to play the slot in this scheme.

Rhyheem Malone - WR to CB - see above.

Jordan Ingram - WR to CB - see above.

In all likelihood I think we will see some transfers (especially from some of the smaller receivers that were recruited to the R&S) but it would be nice if we can find a place for some of these kids to contribute. The one who intrigues me is Ingram. He can flat out fly and had an offer from TCU. He might have the skill set to stay on offense or if nothing else contribute on special teams. I think guys like Dai'Juan Stewart, Malone, and maybe Shelby Walker are going to be looking to transfer after the spring.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Possible Candidates To Switch Positions This Spring

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Gresham is what 5'9"? Not exactly ideal 4-2-5 LB size. Can't see him being approached to change positions since he doesn't fit anywhere else. Deion Jr. is too short and too slow for CB, he'd basically be Bennie Thomas 2.0.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby blackoutpony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 pm

I imagine Gresham will be given a shot a H-Back or FB.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:I think we'll see a lot of guys move around as Morris and his staff try to make the pieces fit their schemes. I can think of a few guys who might be moving around.

Ced Lancaster 5'9" - WR to CB
Deion Sanders, Jr. 5'7" - WR to CB
Rhyheem Malone 5'9"- WR to CB
Jordan Ingram 5'10" - WR to CB

I'm ready to see us line up something other than smurfs in the secondary. These guys are little but may be all we've got until we get it fixed.
Bergermeister

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:11 pm

I agree with a lot of those-but I think Line will find a utility role as a blocking back. I want to see Gresham in the spring to see how he adjusts to the new offense. My concern is that he really is a FB with average speed where most schools recruited him. But I'll withhold judgment. Plus we have to nail down a top RB in recruiting to even think about moving him. And I think Shelby Walker can actually play in the new offense as he has decent height-Needs to get up to about at least 185 though or he won't be able to handle the blocking.
Last edited by Stallion on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:12 pm

blackoutpony wrote:I imagine Gresham will be given a shot a H-Back or FB.

Is there a FB in Morris' offense? Most of the stuff I've seen from his time at Clemson is one back or sometimes two backs where the slot back shifts into the backfield. As an H-Back I could maybe see that but most of the H-Backs in today's game are 6-3 240 type guys.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Stallion wrote:I agree with a lot of those-but I think Line will find a utility role as a blocking back. I want to see Gresham in the spring to see how he adjusts to the new offense. My concern is that he really is a FB with average speed where most schools recruited him. But I'll withhold judgment. Plus we have to nail down a top RB in recruiting to even think about moving him. And I think Shelby Walker can actually play in the new offense as he has decent height-Needs to get up to about at least 185 though or he won't be able to handle the blocking.

Walker played as a freshman last year at around 160 pounds. Hopefully he's at least in the 170's to start the spring. He had some nice offers out of high school but as Morris said he needs WR's that are going to be boundary to boundary guys that can block and make runs after the catch.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Ha! Almost forgot Matt Davis to WR or DB.
StallionsModelT

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:33 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:Ha! Almost forgot Matt Davis to WR or DB.

He will definitely need to be on the field... somewhere
Bergermeister

Postby RyanSMU98 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Speaking of QB's, I guess we convert Burcham into Eastern Washington's QB next season? I just really don't see a place for that kid here anymore but maybe I'm wrong; just has never really impressed me.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:35 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:Speaking of QB's, I guess we convert Burcham into Eastern Washington's QB next season? I just really don't see a place for that kid here anymore but maybe I'm wrong; just has never really impressed me.

Burcham - Central Arkansas
Cassel - EWU
Colbert - Houston Baptist
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Colbert is a Division 1A athlete-somewhere
He had the Allen Eagles running around in circles trying to catch him in the 2013 5A Championship
That kid is a competitor
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:47 pm

It would be nice if he were amenable to changing positions but he seemed pretty adamant about being a QB. The lower divisions are definitely the place for him to pursue that.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Stallion wrote:Colbert is a Division 1A athlete-somewhere
He had the Allen Eagles running around in circles trying to catch him in the 2013 5A Championship
That kid is a competitor

A Division 1A athlete who had an abundance of opportunities to play at the next level at.....

oh yeah. Looks like 120 other schools didn't agree with you.
StallionsModelT

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:53 pm

sbsmith wrote:It would be nice if he were amenable to changing positions but he seemed pretty adamant about being a QB. The lower divisions are definitely the place for him to pursue that.

Davis is a real conundrum. On one hand he was BY FAR our best offensive weapon last season. On the other, I don't think I've seen a more "deer in the headlights" QB in my life. If his first option wasn't there he was taking off. It just didn't look like the game ever slowed down for him last season. Maybe working with Morris will help that but I just don't see him as a QB. He would be a fantastic wideout or safety. His size and athletic ability is just too good not to be on the field somewhere.
StallionsModelT

Next

Return to Football