PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Possible Candidates To Switch Positions This Spring

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Possible Candidates To Switch Positions This Spring

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:13 pm

I think Lancaster, Malone, and Halverson are all headed to defense.

Ingram to is intriguing enough to keep on offense simply because of his speed. If you're going to be under 6 foot in this offense you better be able to fly. Ingram had a camp reported sub 4.4 prior to the start of his senior year of high school. Iowa State and TCU thought enough of him to offer as well. The others (Little Prime, Halverson, Malone, Lancaster) all lack the pure speed and strength to play in this offense and need to be utilized as corners or transfer out.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:34 pm

The receivers aren't going to move. They will either find a way to make an impact on offense or special teams or they will transfer. And no way Davis moves either.

This offense needs the RB to be able to run the dive as part of the option, it isn't just a speed back. The only player on the roster who could be the mix of both is Nlemchi. Gresham is going to probably stay at RB and combo with Durall or Nlemchi.
JasonB

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:44 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
Stallion wrote:I agree with a lot of those-but I think Line will find a utility role as a blocking back. I want to see Gresham in the spring to see how he adjusts to the new offense. My concern is that he really is a FB with average speed where most schools recruited him. But I'll withhold judgment. Plus we have to nail down a top RB in recruiting to even think about moving him. And I think Shelby Walker can actually play in the new offense as he has decent height-Needs to get up to about at least 185 though or he won't be able to handle the blocking.

Walker played as a freshman last year at around 160 pounds. Hopefully he's at least in the 170's to start the spring. He had some nice offers out of high school but as Morris said he needs WR's that are going to be boundary to boundary guys that can block and make runs after the catch.

Wrong he played at 144. Source of info being the fall 2014 roster
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby PonyPride » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Halverson had knee surgery after the season. No idea whether the coaches plan or want to move him to defense, but missing the spring certainly would make the transition more difficult. Not saying he couldn't do it — just that he'll be getting a late start with these coaches, no matter which position he plays.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm

StallionsModelT wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:Speaking of QB's, I guess we convert Burcham into Eastern Washington's QB next season? I just really don't see a place for that kid here anymore but maybe I'm wrong; just has never really impressed me.

Burcham - Central Arkansas
Cassel - EWU
Colbert - Houston Baptist

I think the transfer list at qb is all going to depend on what position Davis plays. If Davis is safety or wr then I think severt Cassel and burcham stick around and fight it out for the second spot and morris adjusts his offense to fit more of a pro style qb. This is purely the optimistic side if me but i don't think either of the three aforementioned guys would be bad back ups at all. As I've said before I won't judge a qb from his ability running that crap offense so maybe with a coach that will actually play to their strengths they can perform much better. seems to me morris may only want to bring in one qb a year or so.

Surely a couple will transfer out as there are 6-7 qbs on the roster and a true freshman will at least be 2nd string. Colbert may be a great athlete, but it's time to explore the receiver route (no pun intended). Guess after spring the transfer list will come out.

I can see a very strong case for the midget receivers playing corner next season since it seems like most were corners in hs anyway (thanks June). Plus that will clear up some depth chart room for the bigger body receivers coming in
Last edited by vielsiehorsepower on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby knuckleup » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:14 pm

WordUpBU wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:
WordUpBU wrote:I can see Lancaster moving but then again he's one of the few legit burners of the smaller slot guys so I could see him sticking where he is.

I don't see Line moving as LB has Yenga, Tui, Horton, Bordano, and possibly Seals if he doesn't move to DE. I see Line as either TB or FB.

I see Gresham as even less likely to move if he is as athletic a runner as Ponyfans speculates.

Minor will likely grow into a DT.

Sanders & Malone are probably too small/skinny for DB in the tackling department and I question Deion Jr's long range speed as well making the CB transition. Slot/returner is likely their future.

Seals IMO is the most likely mover. He's 230 listed last season and a 4-2-5 DE playing a wide technique (like TCU does) is a spot where a quicker undersized end can thrive. It's also very similar in responsibility to that boundary side OLB in Mason's scheme he worked well at. Sanders would have for perfectly.

Wood might be the strong DE or bulk into a 3 technique tackle. BU & TCU at times had 265 pound 3techs in recent years.

It's also going to be interesting to see which DE's stick at end and which long armed 3-4 ends bulk into 3tech tackles.

Don't rule out a larger/slower safety moving down to the Nickel Hybrid or possibly the WLB/boundary LB to get more speed on the field.

Good suggestion on Seals. I think Nick Horton might get spun down to DE also. He has good size at 6-3 240 and was a pretty good edge rusher at Garland before he got hurt. I think Wood sticks at DE but I wouldn't be opposed to a starting DL that looked like this:

DE- Seals
DT - Wood
DT - Minor
DE - Horton/Pruitt

I think it makes sense to keep Horton and the rest of the ILB's at LB. Frankly the MLB in the 4-2-5 is equivalent to the BUCK LB in Mason's scheme. The MLB in Mason's scheme is much like the WLB (SLB in TCU's terminology) where it's a smaller lighter guy usually if there are roster issues.

Horton/Tui at Mike and Yenga/Bordano at WLB is pretty good for a scheme overhaul.

I expect the DB's to shuffle around. Randolph, Darrion Richardson, Justice, and Crosby could all play deep safety, Weak Safety, Nickel Hybrid, or possibly if needed WLB. Lots of options there but I do think limited depth in the secondary keeps too many from shifting down.

If I had to place a starting D guess I can easily see the following making sense:

CB- Jr Richardson/Montes/H Richardson
FS- D Richardson/Lagasse
WS- Randolph/?
Nickel/SS- Justice/Crosby
WLB- Yenga/Bordano
MLB- Horton/Tui
DE- Gentry/Wood
DE- Seals/Nabushoshi/Pruitt
DT- Minor/Riley-Ayers/McCleneghen
NT- Reed/Saena/Hollie

It's gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out. The following guys are versatile enough to play multiple spots depending on how big or small the DC is willing to go.

Yenga- WLB, MLB, Nickel, SpeedDE
Seals- WLB, MLB, SpeedDE
Minor- DE, DT, NT
Wood/GentryMcCleneghen- DE, DT
Randolph- CB, WLB, WS, FS, Nickel
Darrion R- CB, FS, WS, Nickel

There will be holes roster wise but that is a lot of flexibility they can use to make the parts fit.

Didn't bordano graduate. Thought he was a senior
knuckleup
Junior Varsity

Postby footballdad » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Next guys in line at corner behind Horace Rich, JR Rich & Ajee are:

Montgomery, Washington, Wyatt & Jeanlys....all of whom are either 6' or 6'1"
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:52 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
StallionsModelT wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:Speaking of QB's, I guess we convert Burcham into Eastern Washington's QB next season? I just really don't see a place for that kid here anymore but maybe I'm wrong; just has never really impressed me.

Burcham - Central Arkansas
Cassel - EWU
Colbert - Houston Baptist

I think the transfer list at qb is all going to depend on what position Davis plays. If Davis is safety or wr then I think severt Cassel and burcham stick around and fight it out for the second spot and morris adjusts his offense to fit more of a pro style qb. This is purely the optimistic side if me but i don't think either of the three aforementioned guys would be bad back ups at all. As I've said before I won't judge a qb from his ability running that crap offense so maybe with a coach that will actually play to their strengths they can perform much better. seems to me morris may only want to bring in one qb a year or so.

Surely a couple will transfer out as there are 6-7 qbs on the roster and a true freshman will at least be 2nd string. Colbert may be a great athlete, but it's time to explore the receiver route (no pun intended). Guess after spring the transfer list will come out.

I can see a very strong case for the midget receivers playing corner next season since it seems like most were corners in hs anyway (thanks June). Plus that will clear up some depth chart room for the bigger body receivers coming in

Cassel is already gone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:58 pm

I think I was typing this out as that announcement was being posted
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Possible Candidates To Switch Positions This Spring

Postby WordUpBU » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 pm

knuckleup wrote:Didn't bordano graduate. Thought he was a senior

Meant Longoria, typed Bordano
WordUpBU
All-American

Postby StallionsModelT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:29 pm

Longoria will be a senior next season.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:37 pm

Montgomery and Washington are 2 CBs that probably ought to be moved to one of the Safety positions
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ojaipony » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:21 pm

What about Courtland Sutton? Only tall WR on roster other than Gaines.
ojaipony

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:51 am

ojaipony wrote:What about Courtland Sutton? Only tall WR on roster other than Gaines.

Forgot about him. Buy Gaines is not, nor should he have ever been a receiver
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Previous

Return to Football