PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Our new Receiving Core

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Our new Receiving Core

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Does Darius Joseph play a role next year?

Yeah I don't know about DJ. On one hand he's a guy that's caught a ton of balls for us. On the other he's going to be pressed hard by these incoming freshmen. I hope he's able to carve out a role for himself next year, but not at the expense of keeping guys like Castille and Proche on the bench.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:00 pm

The slot receiver doesn't really fit this offense. They want fast, quick guys out of the slot or big guys out wide. Not the possession receiver. DJ may struggle to get playing time.
JasonB

Postby sbsmith » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Terry Webster wrote:Does Darius Joseph play a role next year?

Senior leader and benchwarmer. If he wants a shot at the pros he needs to join a 4-wide, pass heavy FCS team.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby blackoutpony » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 am

JasonB wrote:The slot receiver doesn't really fit this offense. They want fast, quick guys out of the slot or big guys out wide. Not the possession receiver. DJ may struggle to get playing time.

You'd think for a guy labeled "possession receiver" his hands wouldn't be made out of bricks
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUalum85 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:39 pm

If Darius Joseph doesn't get much PT with the offense, he will be a significant contributor to special teams. The kid is tough as nails and is the definition of a football player.
SMUalum85

Postby ghost » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Top receivers are so hard to project. Look at the Dave Campbells projections going back and maybe one out of every ten make it big. That's where you gotta have some quality walkons and guys who have the potential and are ready to pay the price to be great. Texas is full of guys like that whot aren't on the stars list but ready to play at a high level....and most won't be promoting themselves on twitter because they realize they haven't done nothing yet!
ghost
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:58 pm

Huh?

DJ is our best offensive player and it's not even close. (Matt Davis showed flashes)
ojaipony

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:16 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
JasonB wrote:The slot receiver doesn't really fit this offense. They want fast, quick guys out of the slot or big guys out wide. Not the possession receiver. DJ may struggle to get playing time.

You'd think for a guy labeled "possession receiver" his hands wouldn't be made out of bricks

Funny considering he caught 100 balls in 2013. Amazing accomplishment for a brick handed guy
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:34 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:
blackoutpony wrote:

Funny considering he caught 100 balls in 2013. Amazing accomplishment for a brick handed guy

And Terrell Owens is second all time in receiving yards and will be in the Hall of Fame someday, but pretty much lead the league in drops every year.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Buddha » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:37 pm

It looks like there's loads of talent in this class, especially at WR, but isn't it a little premature to assume they all come in and start right away? I'd be shocked if Joseph isn't a starter and a major contributor.
Buddha
All-American

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:17 pm

yes but the taller WRs plus Castille because of his speed are going to be given every opportunity to play early because the Mini-me receivers don't fit in the new offense especially because of the blocking required by receivers. Castille's speed is going to be enticing in jet sweep and deception type plays. That's why Morris is over-concentrating on certain positions (WR, TE, H-Back, QB, RB, Hybrid Safety/Safety, ILB) because he wants to install his type players early. I think class is coing together better than we could have hoped for except perhaps a standout Inside backer and defensive tackles a position he is still working on hard.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Buddha wrote: I'd be shocked if Joseph isn't a starter and a major contributor.

Joseph isn't fast enough to be a major contributor in a Chad Morris offense.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby hubberlang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:25 pm

I think what everyone is saying about Chad's type of players is spot on but I think we need to calm down a tad before we discuss running a kid off the team that has close to 200 career D1 receptions. These WR commitments are clearly talent upgrades out of high school that presumably fit our new offense but I don't think we just signed a couple Odell Beckhams here so lets at least take a flyer on DJ until next fall.
hubberlang
Recruit

Postby hubberlang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Also, I think too many new coaches run too many kids off too quickly and it ends up hurting the overall morale and chemistry of the team (particularly if run off best performers from the past). For 2MM per year I don't think we are going to take a 3 year flyer on results so Chad will need 25-30 kids from the JJ regime to contribute over the next 2 years. I think there probably are 25-30 contributors, its just the bottom 40 returnees that probably add zilch to the rebuilding effort.
hubberlang
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:41 pm

whatever it takes to get down to 85 on August 1 is what's going to happen because its looking like Morris is pretty serious about signing 25. We still got players on the board we WILL take if they commit
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football