PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

Postby Water Pony » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm

"According to Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com, SMU made the third best hire in the country. Morris ranked only behind Jim Harbaugh of Michigan and Tom Herman of AAC foe Houston."

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... hires.html

Great to see SMU and CM getting positive vibes.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Ha!Ha! Herman may not have any recruits left after Chad Morris gets through stealing his Class on signing date. What we are seeing right now on recruiting trail is why Morris ranks ahead of Herman although admittedly both are great coaching prospects
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:16 pm

He didn't want them anyway.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:18 pm

I understand why a national writer would rank Herman over Morris. Up to now, they are pretty much the same coach, with Herman coming substantially cheaper. Not my money, and Morris is proving his worth in recruiting so for now I think we made the right call.
Last edited by mustangxc on Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mustangxc

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:22 pm

mustangxc wrote:I understand why a national writer would rank Herman over Morris. Up to now, they are pretty much the same coach, with Morris coming substantially cheaper. Not my money, and Morris is proving his worth in recruiting so for now I think we made the right call.

Herman is the "substantially cheaper" one.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby Stallion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:44 pm

yeah its not close, UH got Herman dirt cheap-five-year deal worth $6.75 million. In fact, I think there are now several Coordinators earning more. Not sure what he was thinking
Last edited by Stallion on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:47 pm

Stallion wrote:yeah its not close, UH got Herman dirt cheap,. In fact, I think there are now a couple of Offensive Coordinators earning more

HCCM is earning money that says he is building a permanent program with a set figure-head...potentially him. Herman is earning money that says he's building enough rep. to leave dodge as soon as a P5 head coaching position is offered.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:53 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
Stallion wrote:yeah its not close, UH got Herman dirt cheap,. In fact, I think there are now a couple of Offensive Coordinators earning more

HCCM is earning money that says he is building a permanent program with a set figure-head...potentially him. Herman is earning money that says he's building enough rep. to leave dodge as soon as a P5 head coaching position is offered.

Dead on.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:

HCCM is earning money that says he is building a permanent program with a set figure-head...potentially him.

Like June?
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby malonish » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:26 pm

NTXCoog wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:

HCCM is earning money that says he is building a permanent program with a set figure-head...potentially him.

Like June?

Like what June thought he could do in his delusional mind.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:28 pm

NTXCoog wrote:Like June?

Yes, at least that's what most people thought June's intentions were when he was hired. As with any coach, only time will tell what Morris' true intentions are.

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:12 pm

I just don't see how you can say just because Morris is getting more money that he's at SMU for the long term. Jones was overpaid, and he tried to leave.

Herman may leave for a head coaching job elsewhere at some point, but what UH pays him now won't determine that. If he's thinking about leaving, that's when the money is important. Hypothetically, if another school offers him $2.5 million in 3 years, what UH is willing to pay to match or exceed that offer is going to make him decide to stay or leave, not what's he's paid now.

I think SMU paying more for Morris is a reflection that SMU has to pay more for a quality coach because the job has a history of being a coaching dead end. UH has been a stepping stone so a coach is willing to take less money knowing that they do have a better chance of getting other offers that UH may or may not choose to match.

BTW when Briles left UH, he didn't make a lot more money than he did at UH, especially considering he frequently reached bonuses there. He left for a (at the time) BCS job. I'm guessing June wasn't trying to leave for money, but instead for a BCS job. If Herman or Morris wants a P5 job in the future, no reasonable amount of money will keep them.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby blackoutpony » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 pm

If we get a TCU win, and a AAC championship by year 4 out of Chad, and then he bounces, I'll be happy.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:21 pm

I expect that Morris will leave us in time. The better he does the sooner he could be gone. But the better he does the better chance of hiring another good coach. This man is doing everything right so far. If we can keep him for 3 or 4 years it looks like it could very well be the start back that we have needed for 30 years. I look forward to the day that SMU will have a coach hired away rather than having to fire one.

All that said, if he were to settle in like Patterson did at TCU it could be a very nice marriage.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 pm

NTXCoog wrote:If Herman or Morris wants a P5 job in the future, no reasonable amount of money will keep them.

True

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Next

Return to Football