PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I think you guys need to be more specific. If a P5, Texas based, position opens he MIGHT bolt for more money. If SMU gets put on the map, included into P5, Morris is our guy (ala TCU Patt) for a long time and we just continue shelling out more dough.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:51 pm

I wouldn't say they'd leave for ANY P5 job - honestly believe SMU and UH are better career options than places like wake forest, Kansas, Indiana, etcetera.

But yes these coaches want to prove themselves at SMU and UH in order to cash in on a job like A&M or UT
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:I think you guys need to be more specific. If a P5, Texas based, position opens he MIGHT bolt for more money. If SMU gets put on the map, included into P5, Morris is our guy (ala TCU Patt) for a long time and we just continue shelling out more dough.

If a top P5 job outside the state wants Morris do you really think he's going to say no? The second scenario is a pretty big if, most coaches in his situation are out the door by then instead of staying put and waiting for a unicorn to fall from the sky.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby expony18 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

mrydel wrote:I expect that Morris will leave us in time. The better he does the sooner he could be gone. But the better he does the better chance of hiring another good coach. This man is doing everything right so far. If we can keep him for 3 or 4 years it looks like it could very well be the start back that we have needed for 30 years. I look forward to the day that SMU will have a coach hired away rather than having to fire one.

All that said, if he were to settle in like Patterson did at TCU it could be a very nice marriage.

Maybe our Gary Patterson?

But seriously the guy hasn't had a single practice and we are making all of these predictions
WEST DIVISION CHAMPS 2010
expony18

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

I am sorry. I was using my mind to think and should have known better.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby sbsmith » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:22 pm

expony18 wrote:

But seriously the guy hasn't had a single practice and we are making all of these predictions

These predictions were being made even before his introductory press conference.
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

-Benjamin Franklin
sbsmith

Postby BCS STANG » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:07 pm

The guy gets it...he randomly walked into a marketing class at the B School and told everyone that he has an open door policy and if anyone has an idea for the upcoming year, he would love to hear it.
BCS STANG
Scout Team

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:43 pm

ponyinNC wrote:I wouldn't say they'd leave for ANY P5 job - honestly believe SMU and UH are better career options than places like wake forest, Kansas, Indiana, etcetera.

But yes these coaches want to prove themselves at SMU and UH in order to cash in on a job like A&M or UT

I would agree, but I wouldn't have thought Baylor was a better job than UH when Briles left. They were considered one of the worst teams in FBS for a decade, but a BCS position, Central Texas ties, and a big money alum were enough to pull him away
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Seriously, the June crap? Many bought into the June story, but most of those never bought that June wanted to be here for anything other than a challenge. At that time, it was enticing, but absolutely no one could mistake June and his desire to live tiki 24/7 (including not wanting to be continental any more than absolutely necessary) for Morris. Not only is he from the area (Herman, by comparison, is from Cincinnati so I understand why he probably never wants to go home but you can guess one place he would like to end up) but his wife has regional ties too. And if he gets SMU anywhere near where he states he wants to go, there is no reason to leave. Having said that, his success will bring in offers, and it will be up to him (easy statement to make, but still true). All that being equal...the one constant and most basic reality between the two hires is this...SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby vielsiehorsepower » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 pm

SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.[/quote]

I agree, just tired of waiting for potential to manifest
vielsiehorsepower
All-American

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:58 pm

vielsiehorsepower wrote:SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.

I agree, just tired of waiting for potential to manifest[/quote]

You sound like an economist speaking about Detroit.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:All that being equal...the one constant and most basic reality between the two hires is this...SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.

Of course as a UH fan, I have a doubt, but I'd like to hear why there is a greater potential at SMU.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm

You cannot have doubt. He said there was none.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony Boss » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 pm

NTXCoog wrote:
Puckhead48E wrote:All that being equal...the one constant and most basic reality between the two hires is this...SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.

Of course as a UH fan, I have a doubt, but I'd like to hear why there is a greater potential at SMU.

See TCU. Similar profile here at SMU, and you could say we are in the same spot they were back in 2000.
Morris turned down multiple P5 jobs, so I think if he can get SMU to recruit at P5 levels as well as getting close to sniffing a playoff, the guy could stay here. Hell, if he gets us into a P5, I don't see him leaving. SMU will pay whatever it takes to keep him here.
Pony Boss
Hall of Famer

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Pony Boss wrote:
NTXCoog wrote:

See TCU. Similar profile here at SMU, and you could say we are in the same spot they were back in 2000.
Morris turned down multiple P5 jobs, so I think if he can get SMU to recruit at P5 levels as well as getting close to sniffing a playoff, the guy could stay here. Hell, if he gets us into a P5, I don't see him leaving. SMU will pay whatever it takes to keep him here.

In 2000 TCU was 10-2 and conference co-champs for the 2nd year in a row. Maybe 1997 when TCU was 1-10. But for every TCU, SMU could also be compared to Tulane, Rice, etc that hasn't made it.

And if you want to say SMU is like TCU, I could similarly say UH is in the same position as Louisville in 2000.
NTXCoog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football