PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Why Chad Morris is one of country’s top new hires

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:35 pm

BCS STANG wrote:The guy gets it...he randomly walked into a marketing class at the B School and told everyone that he has an open door policy and if anyone has an idea for the upcoming year, he would love to hear it.

That's fantastic. I hope some students take him up on that offer. We've all been asking coaches to do that for years....never saw Cavan or Bennett around back in the day, that's for sure!
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Puckhead48e wrote:All that being equal...the one constant and most basic reality between the two hires is this...SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.

NTXCoog wrote:Of course as a UH fan, I have a doubt, but I'd like to hear why there is a greater potential at SMU.

NTXCoog wrote:And if you want to say SMU is like TCU, I could similarly say UH is in the same position as Louisville in 2000.

So...SMU is similar to TCU and UH is similar to Louisville, in football. Got it. Oversimplified, but got it.
And, there you go. SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. Straight from NTXCoog himself. Thanks for help clarifying that.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
Puckhead48e wrote:All that being equal...the one constant and most basic reality between the two hires is this...SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. There is no doubt to that.

NTXCoog wrote:Of course as a UH fan, I have a doubt, but I'd like to hear why there is a greater potential at SMU.

NTXCoog wrote:And if you want to say SMU is like TCU, I could similarly say UH is in the same position as Louisville in 2000.

So...SMU is similar to TCU and UH is similar to Louisville, in football. Got it. Oversimplified, but got it.
And, there you go. SMU has a much bigger upside and greater potential as a program. Straight from NTXCoog himself. Thanks for help clarifying that.

Not sure how you came up with TCU is better than Louisville. Maybe this year, but Louisville has finished ranked the last 3 years. TCU was only ranked one year (admittedly higher) and had a losing season (something Louisville hasn't had since 2009) .

And if we're talking programs, Louisville averages about 10k more fans per game than Louisville. But you go ahead and look at one year and make assumptions on that. I'll look at SMU's last year and make assumptions on that.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby NTXCoog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:26 pm

But again I'd like a good reason why TCU has a higher potential than UH. Saying SMU has a similar profile to TCU isn't good enough for me. Hasn't SMU had a similar profile to TCU since the breakup of the SWC?
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm

NTXCoog wrote:
And if we're talking programs, Louisville averages about 10k more fans per game than Louisville.

That is quite impressive :)

3 years is an awfully arbitrary time period that conveniently barely excludes TCU's Rose Bowl win. If you picked just about any other period in the past 15 years, TCU would clearly be the better program than Louisville. And it's not close. And that's before taking into account the chasm between Big 12 football and Big East football (prior to Louisville moving).
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 pm

03Mustang wrote:
BCS STANG wrote:The guy gets it...he randomly walked into a marketing class at the B School and told everyone that he has an open door policy and if anyone has an idea for the upcoming year, he would love to hear it.

That's fantastic. I hope some students take him up on that offer. We've all been asking coaches to do that for years....never saw Cavan or Bennett around back in the day, that's for sure!

Hopefully this also starts to create the culture on campus that football is important and the cool thing to take part in. Campus conversation in the fall should revolve around Saturday's game, like at TX high schools. That's never happened at SMU since I've been around.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Really, SMU and UH fans are arguing about whether TCU or Louisville has the better program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CalallenStang

Postby ebrooks11 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:44 pm

You beat me to it calallen.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:49 pm

No....they were proxies introduced by someone...and neither is overly important to the UH v SMU discussion because, like UH, neither TCU or Louisville has the potential growth and upside of SMU.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 am

SMU is much better than UH because UH is a commuter school that will let just about anybody in. It's apples to oranges. I really wish we could jettison ourselves from being attached to them - it's a [deleted] school in a [deleted] city.

SMU is much better than TCU. It doesn't really need an explanation. TCU is the red-headed step child of SMU. TCU has had recent football success. Good for them. They are still in Ft Worth. They still have a frog as a mascot. And their primary color is still purple.

So, yeah, [deleted] UH. And [deleted] TCU.

(just trying to get the thread back on topic)

Other than simply hiring Morris, the other beautiful thing that SMU did was to get him in here right away (see Stallion's comments). He got the jump on Herman for sure.
ojaipony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:24 am

Back to the topic of HCCM eventually leaving...he will be gone as soon as the A&M job opens up I think, which could be in 2-3 years. He went to A&M, he met his wife there, I think that's the dream job. He has a solid resume built up from his time as OC at Clemson, and if he turns the disaster we have now into a bowl-bound team by 2016, then he's a legitimate candidate in College Station.

I don't think Sumlin will stay there forever, he will make the jump to the NFL eventually. Supposedly some NFL teams were sniffing around on him this offseason even after A&M had a less than stellar season. We should be rooting for David Beaty to knock it out of the park up at KU and be their preferred candidate over HCCM when Sumlin leaves.

Regardless, if we can get three solid recruiting classes and a bowl game or two out of Chad, then he's worth every penny I didn't spend on his salary.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:02 am

In all honesty, you want Houston to do well. You want Tulsa to do well. You want kids to look at the AAC west as a place they can hone their skills playing for great coaches with great teammates, and showcase those skills against other great coached players. Just prefer that SMU be better than the rest. We have an amazing campus, are the only major school in the area, sit in the hotbed of HS football both locally and regionally, are a major market, and have excellent academics that go along with great facilities that are ever improving.

Houston is in the hood (worked well for USC, but I don't think that is going to be repeated), and reminds me of "peaked in HS Rob Lowe."
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby StangTime » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:36 am

Puckhead48E wrote:In all honesty, you want Houston to do well. You want Tulsa to do well. You want kids to look at the AAC west as a place they can hone their skills playing for great coaches with great teammates, and showcase those skills against other great coached players. Just prefer that SMU be better than the rest. We have an amazing campus, are the only major school in the area, sit in the hotbed of HS football both locally and regionally, are a major market, and have excellent academics that go along with great facilities that are ever improving.

Houston is in the hood (worked well for USC, but I don't think that is going to be repeated), and reminds me of "peaked in HS Rob Lowe."

Good stuff, Puck.
StangTime

Postby NTXCoog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Go ahead and congratulate yourself on what you think is the "potential" championship, but until you win a conference championship or finish ranked, potential doesn't mean anything. You haven't done either in 30 years. You haven't even won more than 8 games in 30 years. UH fired its coach this year after winning 8 games. UH has won conference championships, been ranked, has higher attendance, and built a newer larger stadium.

If SMU has a higher potential (which I'd disagree), you aren't very far along in reaching it. UH is MUCH closer to reaching its potential and a higher probability of getting there. OTOH SMU has MUCH more potential for growth because it can't go down much more.
NTXCoog
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:17 pm

NTXCoog wrote:Go ahead and congratulate yourself on what you think is the "potential" championship, but until you win a conference championship or finish ranked, potential doesn't mean anything. You haven't done either in 30 years. You haven't even won more than 8 games in 30 years. UH fired its coach this year after winning 8 games. UH has won conference championships, been ranked, has higher attendance, and built a newer larger stadium.

If SMU has a higher potential (which I'd disagree), you aren't very far along in reaching it. UH is MUCH closer to reaching its potential and a higher probability of getting there. OTOH SMU has MUCH more potential for growth because it can't go down much more.

OK, UH fan.

Honestly, not many of us here care about your opinion on this subject or TCU versus Louisville. I would recommend a more productive and satisfying usage of your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Football