PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

the unbelievable josh mCcown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: the unbelievable josh mCcown

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:25 pm

as a former QB himself, Cavan was tough on his QBs and Josh didn't have a thick enough skin to handle it...so he quit on SMU and Cavan. Josh had his moments, but just kept making bonehead plays that made Cavan crazy. I will always remember him rolling left against Rice on a 3rd and 5 and with a clear 15 yards of running room along the left sideline (where he EASILY could have run for the 1st down AND gotten safely out of bounds). Instead, Josh throws downfield to a guy he was locked onto and the pass is wide and broken up. I thought Cavan was going to explode because that happened right in front of the SMU bench.

Give the guy credit though...he's had as successful a career as anyone ever could have imagined in the NFL and has become a pretty decent backup QB
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FriscoPMG » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:05 pm

I was distracted by the 2nd post of this thread...
mrydel wrote:I would not say he is any luckier than your buddy Ryan Tannehill. Wide receiver drafted as a starting QB who is getting a contract extension after not accomplishing anything, not to mention his hot wife.

FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby smusic 00 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Would
smusic 00

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:20 pm

She appears to get her fruits and vegetables at least.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby CenTXpony » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:31 am

Wood.
CenTXpony
Heisman

Postby No Quarter » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:55 am

Other sources note that there is a weak crop of free agent QBs this year and an article I read did not have McCown in the top five of the limited choices. But he's in there and to dump on him is kind of like telling the old joke about the circus employee who kept his job cleaning up after elephants because he was "in show biz," except - as has been pointed out - his perks and all are far greater.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:15 am

Nacho wrote:cavan bent over backwards to give mccown every chance in the world to succeed. cavan lost his job because mccown was so terrible. how many times did mccown get intercepted by a defensive end? yet cavan stuck with him. what does mccown do to show his gratitude. he quits and goes to sam houston state teachers college. when he played against his own level he did well. he did have the one good year in chicago. i'll give him that. he is the one smu player who, whether they stayed, quit or transferred i have no respect for. no problem with anyone elese.

It's funny what people remember and then present years later as fact. Cavan bent over backwards to ensure that Josh was always looking over his shoulder, waiting to be pulled with the slightest mistake. Plus, I just have a different philosophy:I never hold transfers' internal reasons against them and I'm always thankful they played for my team
ponyboy

Postby Digetydog » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Nacho wrote:cavan bent over backwards to give mccown every chance in the world to succeed. cavan lost his job because mccown was so terrible. how many times did mccown get intercepted by a defensive end? yet cavan stuck with him. what does mccown do to show his gratitude. he quits and goes to sam houston state teachers college. when he played against his own level he did well. he did have the one good year in chicago. i'll give him that. he is the one smu player who, whether they stayed, quit or transferred i have no respect for. no problem with anyone elese.

Cavan lost his job because he was a horrible coach who should never have been hired.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby dr rc » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:00 pm

mrydel wrote:I would not say he is any luckier than your buddy Ryan Tannehill. Wide receiver drafted as a starting QB who is getting a contract extension after not accomplishing anything, not to mention his hot wife.

:?: Tannehill wasn't a WR drafted a QB.

He was behind Stephen McGee and Jerrod Johnson on the depth chart his first couple years and got some time as a WR b/c he is that good of an athlete. He was always a QB first even though he had success as a WR.

You must not have paid much attention either b/c he had a pretty good year last year.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:20 pm

How many snaps did he take his senior year? And how old were you when your sense of humor died.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Puckhead48E » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:23 pm

leopold wrote:I could be wrong, I believe he was making $2M as a backup with the Bears. So money isn't the issue with him.

Congrats to him, hope he continues to do well. That being said, the Jets seem like the kiss of death to anybody not named Namath or Ken O'Brien.

It surely isn't too soon to laugh hysterically at anything with Namath and kiss in the same sentence...right Suzy Kolber?
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby dr rc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:49 pm

mrydel wrote:How many snaps did he take his senior year? And how old were you when your sense of humor died.

He became the starting QB midway through his junior year and held it down all senior year.

Maybe you should work on being... I dunno... actually funny if you want people to be in on it? :twisted:
dr rc
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:15 pm

I will stand corrected. Not being a follower of the Aggies I thought his senior year was as a receiver and his junior year was the year he played QB in most if not all games. I have nothing against the young man and hope he excels. I was merely trying to converse with Nacho as to QBs college careers not necessarily defining their success in the pros.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 am

McCown was a good college QB who got tired of getting yo-yo'ed in and out of the lineup every time a pass went incomplete, whether the blame belonged with him or with a receiver or a defensive player or a referee. If he got shelved for Marcus Mariota, that's one thing, but he didn't. Hated to see him leave, but I'm glad he's still making a living playing football.

Did anyone else see Bartel recently got hired as head coach at FW Southwest Christian? I didn't even realize he had started coaching anywhere, but this story says he was an assistant at Prestonwood Christian and Argyle Liberty.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/sports/2015/0 ... /22514587/
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Postby Nacho » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:12 pm

mccown was a good qb at sam houston state.
he was a terrible qb at smu.
Nacho

PreviousNext

Return to Football